Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2015, 03:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Single in June 2015

Welcome everyone to the Single in June 2015 Challenge

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).
This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/102-monthly-photo-challenges/711-faq.html

Video below was created by patjp

Theme days open for discussion; initial suggestions:

THEME DAYS

Saturday June 6 = Red
Saturday June 13 = B&W
Sunday June 21 = Selfies for Sara (Belfies for the brave)
Saturday June 27 = Abstract

There are only four weekends this June, and the last May theme day is right at the end: 30th, so I didn't want to squash in too much. I've suggested red, since we dropped it this month. Opinions please...

05-22-2015, 04:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect I will not be participating, but I'll certainly still be watching.

Have fun you krazy kids.
05-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I'm in for sure with the Q (or if my Q7 is repaired the Q7) plus the very fine 06 lens. My only question is will I shoot a second camera / lens combo again in June. Got a lot of lenses to shoot but doing two all month is a bit tiring.
05-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lurking the thread - not sure what I might shoot.

05-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

All I know is I will be doing a m42 lens
05-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Depends on which lens so far for June. Probably either the 135mm f2.8 Sears (Samyung) not the macro one. And either with or without the DCR-150.

I have a question, only because I used it to shoot photos of things I'm selling but what do you who own a 28mm, shoot? As I said before, I'm not a short prime shooter, but need advice. I was thinking to use lens in June.
05-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Depends on which lens so far for June. Probably either the 135mm f2.8 Sears (Samyung) not the macro one. And either with or without the DCR-150.

I have a question, only because I used it to shoot photos of things I'm selling but what do you who own a 28mm, shoot? As I said before, I'm not a short prime shooter, but need advice. I was thinking to use lens in June.
Which 28mm? That's likely an interesting discussion. Personally, I've found it very hard learning to like 28mm for some reason (I feel similarly about 135mm as well). I've had several 28mm (rather inexpensive) lenses including a Kiron, Vivitar, Super-Takumar, and currently have a Quantaray 28mm f2.8 M42 lens. Of all of them, the Kiron f2.0 lens was the best of the bunch. I've thought someday that I'd acquire an F or FA 28 at some point but, honestly if I go that way, I'll either try for an FA31 or Sigma 30. I'm not in any hurry for any of them either because I prefer 24mm a much more over 28mm.

05-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

28mm on crop is Normal - tis a walk around lens IMO - It's not wide enough to be wide and creative with, and not long enough to shoot portraits or anything like that. ---> Reportage / Street, and chasing Kids around the house.

Looking back, it seems I've shot 28mm mostly on film. There are a few shots on APS-C though.
05-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in for June. A handful of lenses to choose from that I haven't SIC'd with yet, but the strongest contender at the moment is probably Tamron 18-250...
05-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Tim, the lens in question is the Pentax A 28mm f2.8.

To you too Matt. Nice photos you have there.

I just don't know about using the 28mm because of the subjects it wouldn't be good to use with. I don't do much walking around, not much here to use a lens that way. Smallish neighborhood, not many houses. Beach or river would be because there are birds there, and 28mm is just too short. As was said, not wide enough to be a wide angle shoot lens. Guess I'll go with the 135mm f2.8. I would like to have a fisheye but I'd probably only use it once and the prices aren't worth buying one just for one shot.
05-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm on the fence about participating in June. I've derailed badly in May (right now I'm sick as a dog with a gastro-intestinal thing. I'll spare the horrifying details), but if I do feel the urge to jump in it will almost certainly be with the Samyang 85mm f/1.4. I keep finding myself taking my May shot then swapping lenses over to the 85 because damn.

There is of course a possible dark horse - LBA nipped at me and I have a possibly nonfunctional Sigma 28-200 hyperzoom (in gaudy silver to boot) on its way. If the lens works decently, it could be my 'walk around' lens and see an appearance as my SI choice come June or July depending on how much it intrigues me.
05-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will probably be in for next month...lens still tbd...
05-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks Tim, the lens in question is the Pentax A 28mm f2.8
Put it on a reversing adaptor and it will make a kick-arse macro
05-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Put it on a reversing adaptor and it will make a kick-arse macro
Listen to you with all your creative ideas! Seems like you should be reversing your suspicion about June!
05-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going 35mm or thereabouts. Probably CZJ Flektogon 35/2.8, but there's a SuperTak 35/3.5 and Mir-1 37/2.8 ...........