Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went for blue

and the 2115 version in the attic of daves great grand childern.

06-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alien Blueprint

06-10-2015, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last edited by Glenn5995; 06-11-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Slight crop adjustment
06-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote
Oh, I'll be the first to admit that summer up there can be wonderful. And there are many wonderful things that I really do miss. A quick drive from just about anywhere and you can find yourself in the mountains, in the rainforest, in the eastern wine country, at the ocean, or even an whole other country. And unlike Phoenix, you can actually go out in the summer without melting! It's just that, well..... most of the time it's just gray. You don't realize how gray until you've spent considerable time away - come back, and say "hey - what happened to the sunshine?? - Oh... um, yeah... "

Haha... on top of that (for those in the know) I'm from Puyallup. That should explain everything :P
I am in Pennsylvania now where I grew up. It can be very gray here too.

06-10-2015, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

This was a fun image to edit. I looked at it and decided I wanted to highlight the mercury-lamp-orange glow that cities emit. But I also wanted the sky to feel cool, which would be a difficult balance with the clouds. Then I decided that even though I wanted the city to glow orange, I wanted the Space Needle to stand out and be bright, drawing attention to itself in the image. So accomplishing all that wasn't super easy.

First I opened the DNG and corrected the horizon by using the bubble level tool on the central skyscraper's right side. After that, I adjusted sliders to capture as many of the tones and contrast enhancements as I could.

After opening it in Photoshop, I first copied a layer and set the new layer to Luminosity. Then I changed it to black and white and adjusted the sliders to control the lighting a bit more. This did a lot to control the light difference between the skyline and Space Needle as the space needle is a yellow light compared to the city's orange-red light. But it made the Space Needle too light and a lot of the details, like the under-saucer ribbing and shape of the above-saucer roof, were lost to wash-out. So I used the auto mask (15, non-contiguous) to mask out the orange of the skyline by selecting one of the buildings in the background with a tone about in the middle of what I wanted to remove. I feathered it wit ha radius of 3 to take out the jagged edges and deleted that area from the black and white layer.

Then I inserted a gradient layer, blue on top and orange on the bottom. This took the lightness off of the space needle's blown-out areas when I set the gradient's transparency to 10% and soft light.

I elected to go with a 6X7 crop to remove some of the extraneous elements on the right and far left side. I framed it so that the Space Needle would be on the left Rule of Thirds vertical and the skyline would be below the top Rule or Thirds horizontal.
06-10-2015, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last edited by Glenn5995; 06-11-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Slight crop adjustment
06-11-2015, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey, that was fun!

Name:  PP Challenge 151 (1 of 1)_1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  223.6 KB

06-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Another trial, adjusted the contrast and the tone curve a bit and also re-worked a bit directly the resized JPEG
Attached Images

06-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #24

Edited in RawTherapee

06-11-2015, 08:30 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Festivities erupt throughout Seattle as news spreads that the city is the subject of Pentax Forums Post Processing Challenge #151!

Last edited by Glenn5995; 06-11-2015 at 09:42 PM.
06-12-2015, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

"Now with less slugs!" Let's go tall.
Great pic, BTW. Check out the folks on the observation deck, and the restaurant has a bit of that "Nighthawks" painting thing going on.
Attached Images

06-13-2015, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry it has taken so long to get my stuff together - I had a hard drive crash and we're on the road in the RV. So here is what I have so far - maybe more later, maybe not. It depends on the weather

This is just straight processing, emphasizing the lights

Here the tower is everything

Some high-contrast black and white

Seattle in blue

It's amazing what you can get from a little tweaking of a raw photo and some judicious cropping
06-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
It's amazing what you can get from a little tweaking of a raw photo and some judicious cropping
Plot twist: that camera is a Canon.
06-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Plot twist: that camera is a Canon.
Curses, foiled again!

Come to think of it, the camera around my neck is a Canon also.

The photo was taken inside the tower in front of a green screen. We had our choice of background views. We were on our to (or from) Alaska, and stopped in Seattle to see family.

---------- Post added 06-13-15 at 09:33 PM ----------

Here's a shot of the tower before it was finished.

06-14-2015, 02:17 PM - 3 Likes   #30

Very much detail in this nice photo! But somehow it was diffcult to post-process.
Did a few trial-and errors leading to this. Summarized steps as i remember it:
  • Basic adjustement in camera raw.
  • Two additional camera raw versions, about + 2.5 EV and - 2.5 EV
  • Saved the 3 versions as 16 bit tiffs
  • Loaded them into Photomatix Pro, working with Exposure Fusion
  • Saved to 16 bit tiff, again
  • Opened in PS, further adjustments in a camera raw filter (contrast, clarity, vignette etc)
  • Still not satisfied, couldn't get the sky right. So blended in the first middle exposure tiff, tried different blend-modes, "Hue" gave an unexpected result with all the different colors on the buildings
  • Added more saturation with "man from mars" method

Last edited by LarsW; 05-12-2016 at 09:30 AM.