Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2019, 08:15 PM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Great to see the continuing additions to this thread but gentle reminder that this is a sailing craft image posting area.

Hope everyone is able to get out on the water in this holiday season.
Sorry. I clicked on the wrong thread. Is there an easy procedure for me to move them to the thread that I actually wanted? Thanks.

12-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Don't worry about moving them, simply adjusting the compass heading. ;-)
12-24-2019, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I've spent a lot of time racing sailboats, so I'm very familiar with adjusting compass headings!
12-25-2019, 04:17 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

12-30-2019, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

01-02-2020, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #126
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Scotlands National Animal

Leading the way forward into 2020...

01-02-2020, 11:26 AM - 2 Likes   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

01-07-2020, 12:37 PM - 3 Likes   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jquill Quote
Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum Boat Yard
How about a change of pace. Here are two boats being restored (Martha and Delaware) and a new one, a replica of the Dove, just getting started on the left (keel and one rib, so far).
Here is an update on the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum Dove reproduction project. They have made some progress since I was there 2 months ago. Beginning to look like a boat.

Dove Progress update - Jan 5, 2020

Click this link to see some additional shots of the Dove project: Dove Construction | Flickr

Click this link to see some general shots of the museum: Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum | Flickr
01-09-2020, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jquill Quote
Click this link to see some additional shots of the Dove project: Dove Construction | Flickr
Thanks for that! I couldn't find a lot on the new build but the pictures contain many interesting details. It looks to me like the frames are live oak. They cut oversize segments out of slabs of live oak - the guy with the chainsaw in one of your photos - then flatten the sides. They use a ship's saw in a building next to where they lay out the frames to bevel the segments so the planks will sit flush against them. The bevel angle isn't obvious now because they are making frames in the center. They double the frame with overlapping segments for strength, so it's called "double-sawn". They initially bolt them together for assembly but replace all the bolts with wooden dowels. The dowel ends are split and a wedge is driven in to spread the ends and lock them in place.

There's a nice Youtube channel that shows all of that in detail:

Sampson Boat Co - YouTube

I wanted to know what the keel was made of but can't tell from the photos because it's painted with preservative. They've already cut the rabbet for the planks to sit in and cover the frames. That's a sign they know what they're doing. It probably helps to have built the boat once already in 1978.
01-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

01-10-2020, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Thanks for that! I couldn't find a lot on the new build but the pictures contain many interesting details. It looks to me like the frames are live oak. They cut oversize segments out of slabs of live oak - the guy with the chainsaw in one of your photos - then flatten the sides. They use a ship's saw in a building next to where they lay out the frames to bevel the segments so the planks will sit flush against them. The bevel angle isn't obvious now because they are making frames in the center. They double the frame with overlapping segments for strength, so it's called "double-sawn". They initially bolt them together for assembly but replace all the bolts with wooden dowels. The dowel ends are split and a wedge is driven in to spread the ends and lock them in place.

There's a nice Youtube channel that shows all of that in detail:

Sampson Boat Co - YouTube

I wanted to know what the keel was made of but can't tell from the photos because it's painted with preservative. They've already cut the rabbet for the planks to sit in and cover the frames. That's a sign they know what they're doing. It probably helps to have built the boat once already in 1978.
1/12/20 - Update: I checked and the wood used for the keel, false keel, wormshoe, inner and outer sternposts, keelson, and deadwood is Cortez.

Thanks for the link. Another boat building series that is interesting is Acorn to Arabella

This project is a re-reproduction of the Dove. Apparently they have more information about the original Dove since the first reproduction in the 70's so this one is being scratch built from a new set of plans; the idea being it will be more historically accurate while still meeting current safety requirements.

I will try to post more pictures as it takes shape. It's over a 1-1/2 hour drive from my house to the museum yard so I like to plan a full day for each visit. There is a good brew pub in St Michaels which is also a requisite stop.

Last edited by jquill; 01-12-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Updated the Wood Type for the keel
01-10-2020, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nautical poms:
01-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Part of the fleet, moored in Port Jefferson Harbor, NY.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
01-16-2020, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scotts Landing Marina, Grapevine TX.
01-17-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #135
Veteran Member

Lightship Overfalls (LV-118) was the last light-vessel constructed for the United States Lighthouse Service in 1938 before the Service became part of the United States Coast Guard. She was retired from service in 1972 and is now on permanent display in Lewes, DE.

Lightship Overfalls