Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #766

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Beautiful lady! She's definitely got that "whatcha doin', dad?" expression on her face!
Yeah, she's definitely curious about stuff which makes her a handful at times. She knows where unapproved toys are kept and will open doors and some drawers to get to them. Usually while someone is in the shower and can't intervene.

My wife had an 18 year old cat we were taking to the vet and expecting the worse (having trouble eating - vet found a mass preventing her from opening her mouth enough to eat - we were told to make her comfortable and prepare to say goodbye). I was getting the carrier out of the shed and saw a gray streak go into the barn. My wife, who loves gray cats, opened the barn and called kitty-kitty-kitty. Uhura came to her almost immediately so I grabbed a second carrier and we decided to foster her (you can see how that worked out). She was healthy but the vet said to keep her crated until the final blood tests came back. We put her in a large dog crate, went to bed, heard a lot of rattling from the crate, then Uhura was in bed with us. Being accused of not latching the crate, I made my wife double-check both batches. 10 minutes later, Uhura was in our bed again. There's no openings large enough for her head so we still don't know how she escaped. We considered Houdini but she was vocal so we settled on Uhura (communication officer from Star Trek). Unfortunately the next day the 18 year old cat couldn't open her mouth at all and couldn't drink. The unexpected addition made it a little easier on my wife.

---------- Post added 04-18-21 at 06:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Deesquared Quote
She’s a beauty!
Thanks.

04-18-2021, 01:17 PM - 6 Likes   #767

last holiday... I could not resist her at all, I love the colour

04-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
The unexpected addition made it a little easier .
Losing a family member like that is very tough, but having a new member helps. Been there and done that, I know how it went. Uhura is a beautiful cat, I understand about the toys. One of our indoor cats stashes toys under the head of the bed (bit of an adventure to get to the stash, but she does it) and periodically drags one or another out for amusement.

Funny about the crate latches, we had one outdoor cat who figured out how to get out of a trap. That was before we made it SOP to lock the trap door panel. We had him in the trap, in the car, on the road to TNR when I saw kitty ears in the rear view mirror...oops... fortunately we were close to home still and drove back, in case we couldn't corral him again he'd be "home". But amazingly we got him back into the trap (still in the car). Never let a trap remain unlocked again!
04-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #769
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NoobOnTour Quote

Great shots - especially the second one!

- Jon

04-19-2021, 05:34 AM   #770
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

She's a lovely creature indeed!
04-19-2021, 06:22 AM - 5 Likes   #771
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My neighbor's rescued kitten being cute

Carbo looking cute
04-19-2021, 07:19 AM   #772
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Carbo looking cute
It's what they do, "looking cute" is in their contract.

Heard often around our house, "Oh, you think you can get away with that just because you're cute..."

04-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #773
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
It's what they do, "looking cute" is in their contract.

Heard often around our house, "Oh, you think you can get away with that just because you're cute..."
LOL! But OF COURSE they can!
04-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #774

Carbo looking cute
Your timing on this one is right on point
nice!
04-19-2021, 05:37 PM - 2 Likes   #775
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Felipe

We got a new feral cat a month ago and we called him Felipe (aka Pee-Pae). Hopefully the shelter will open its TNR clinic soon to neuter him.
He is gorgeous.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
04-19-2021, 06:57 PM - 3 Likes   #776
Veteran Member

This guy/girl hung around a field filled with construction equipment. I haven't seen it for a bit so hopefully they just got picked up and not been eaten by a snake (likely).

04-19-2021, 08:03 PM   #777
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your timing on this one is right on point
nice!
Thank you!

---------- Post added 04-19-21 at 10:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
We got a new feral cat a month ago and we called him Felipe (aka Pee-Pae). Hopefully the shelter will open its TNR clinic soon to neuter him.
He is gorgeous.
He is very handsome!
04-20-2021, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #778
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
He is gorgeous.
He is indeed! Hope the TNR clinic opens again soon!

We are fortunate, the county's "animal services" department operates TNR year-round. Over a number of years we've taken more than 50 ferals and semi-ferals there.
04-21-2021, 11:16 PM   #779
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In the UK TNR is a chain called "The Natural Remedy". Assuming you aren't giving the cats over priced herbal remedies I did a bit more googling to find out what the acronym stood for!
04-22-2021, 06:05 AM - 2 Likes   #780
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
In the UK TNR is a chain called "The Natural Remedy". Assuming you aren't giving the cats over priced herbal remedies I did a bit more googling to find out what the acronym stood for!
<haha> No, (for those reading along) it stands for "Trap, Neuter, Return". It's a program to spay/neuter strays, ferals, "community cats", sponsored by one or another agency. Here, the program is run by the county's "animal services" department, the service is no-cost to county residents. One has to trap the cat, take it in , the county will perform the surgery, administer some vaccine -- including rabies, tip the left ear* and call you to come get the cat. Or, if you choose, they will return it to the address on the intake form. We always picked up the cats ourselves, for "delivery" might take days and days. The surgery usually took 1-2 days. There are other outfits that do free or no-cost spay-neuter for these kinds of cats. The idea, of course, is to reduce the population of stays...it worked for us. At one time we had a bunch of kitten factories, we shut them all down, learning rather a lot about trapping cats in the process. Some were a lot easier than others! We also have some Good Samaritan organizations whose volunteers will trap cats in areas where there are many ferals, take them to the county's TNR service and return them. Very often, when we would take our two or three in, one or another of these organizations would show up with a dozen, two dozen, trapped cats from some location or other. The county will provide traps, too (deposit refundable). We did that for a while but eventually invested in two good traps so we didn't have to hassle with the "rental" issues.

*ear tip: they remove a small bit of the ear tip, so the cat is permanently identifiable as having been spayed/neutered. One can tell at a glance which cats are done and which need to be trapped.

The traps came in handy later on for trapping and removing some nuisance raccoons and possums.

Anyway, TNR is A Very Good Thing!