Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3660 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2022, 07:04 PM   #1186
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Now and then I catch an ad for one of those home do-over programs...
Off topic: There is a local reality show here that HGTV has picked up called "Rock Solid Builds". Covers some renovators in mostly outport Newfoundland who are based in my most common sailing destination so I know most every build on the show. It's actually kinda' cute. Still haven't seen my boat in any of the cuts yet, though :-( .

01-07-2022, 08:17 PM - 5 Likes   #1187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For Abigail, it is still Catmas as long as there is colorful tissue paper to tear up...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
01-08-2022, 07:26 AM   #1188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Had a terrible accident when she was young where a car smashed her hips into about 10 pieces.
One of ours had similar trauma -- "shattered pelvis" per the vet, after xrays. But we took her home, with meds and instructions to keep her calm and confined (meds helped), limit her physical activity, and eventually (weeks, maybe a couple of months) she recovered, more or less. She has a tiny hitch in her hind legs when walking, not really noticeable unless you look closely at her from behind. She's otherwise active, jumps and plays, but I think it did slightly affect her bowels, once in a while she seems a little constipated. A couple of days with a small dose of Miralax clears that up. But we have a "big girl", too...not 20lb big, but half again the size of the others. That's a lot of cat! I'm glad yours -- and ours! -- recovered

---------- Post added 01-08-22 at 09:30 AM ----------

Now and then I catch an ad for one of those home do-over programs. They show a few rooms, usually the living room or kitchen, with the do-over people and the home owners being overwhelmed by how beautiful it is, and I think: "That's a house that's been spiffed up to put on the market, not a place where people have actually been living."
Or the print ads in many magazines, touting one thing or another but the background living space is ridiculous, pretty but utterly sterile, nobody lives in that space. At least, nobody that I know!
01-08-2022, 05:09 PM   #1189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Or the print ads in many magazines, touting one thing or another but the background living space is ridiculous, pretty but utterly sterile, nobody lives in that space. At least, nobody that I know!
I would feel uncomfortable even visiting a house with so sterile a living space. When I was very young we used to visit with a couple my sister and I called "aunt" and "uncle," but they were no relation. "Aunt" was someone who worked with my mother as a telephone switchboard operator (:Number please). Auntie was an obsessive-compulsive house cleaner. Much later my mother used to comment on how uncomfortable she was in that house. Both my parents smoked. As soon as they flicked one bit of ash into an ashtray, auntie would pick it up. take it out to the kitchen, dump the ash, wipe out the ashtray with a damp, then a dry paper towel before returning it time for the next bit of ash and a repeat performance.

01-08-2022, 05:37 PM - 5 Likes   #1190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Almost forgot to post the obligatory Cat photo taken with an expensive brand new lens:

Pentax KP - SMCP-HD D-FA 21mm f/2.4 ED ASPH Limited 1/60th f/2.4 ISO 3200
01-09-2022, 07:18 AM   #1191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would feel uncomfortable even visiting a house with so sterile a living space.
Long story here but I'll summarize...as a teen I once visited a friend's relative's house, the main floor of which was a roped-off "show house", all the fancy furniture with fitted plastic upholstery covers, I got yelled at for touching a toe to the bilious yellow carpet beyond the barrier (yellow velvet "rope" between stanchions). The family lived in the basement apartment. Upstairs bedrooms were in use, but nobody crossed the boundary into the "show" rooms. There wasn't even anything in the show-kitchen refrigerator. They all seemed to think this was normal.
01-09-2022, 08:43 AM   #1192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Long story here but I'll summarize...as a teen I once visited a friend's relative's house, the main floor of which was a roped-off "show house", all the fancy furniture with fitted plastic upholstery covers, I got yelled at for touching a toe to the bilious yellow carpet beyond the barrier (yellow velvet "rope" between stanchions). The family lived in the basement apartment. Upstairs bedrooms were in use, but nobody crossed the boundary into the "show" rooms. There wasn't even anything in the show-kitchen refrigerator. They all seemed to think this was normal.
And then you see a program about hoarders. I guess that leaves people such as we in the mild, mediocre, bland middle. I'll stay there, proudly.

01-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #1193
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And then you see a program about hoarders. I guess that leaves people such as we in the mild, mediocre, bland middle. I'll stay there, proudly.
+1 to that, sir!
01-10-2022, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #1194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
My small male cat likes to sit high on my chest draping over my shoulder when I'm at my computer. I do sometimes have to discourage clawing my shoulder.

Here's a cell selfie... [note, my house is a mess from ongoing renos :-( ]...
Wow how small is your big cat then....Your cat is rather large but beautiful...

---------- Post added 10-01-22 at 11:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
For Abigail, it is still Catmas as long as there is colorful tissue paper to tear up...
Love it and so cute...

---------- Post added 10-01-22 at 11:30 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Almost forgot to post the obligatory Cat photo taken with an expensive brand new lens:

He / She is a beaut /beauty , love that slender face and the almost squint eyes...
01-10-2022, 05:32 AM - 3 Likes   #1195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax KP - SMCP D-FA 21mm f/2.4 ED ASPH Limited ISO 400 f/2.4 1/125th

QuoteOriginally posted by Shelly Quote
He / She is a beaut /beauty , love that slender face and the almost squint eyes...
yep, I was lucky to find him as a tiny little kitten at the rescue shelter that day.
01-10-2022, 08:01 AM   #1196
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's interesting to me how similar his facial markings and eye color are to our Annabelle, the head/face shape is very different. Your kitty has a very Siamese look = big upright ears ("bat-like") and a long muzzle. Annabelle has a short muzzle and an overall more spherical-looking face, more like a British short hair. I'll try to get her to look at the camera so I can post a contrasting image that at a glance is more informative than my verbiage.
01-10-2022, 07:40 PM - 6 Likes   #1197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your kitty has a very Siamese look = big upright ears ("bat-like") and a long muzzle
Bear in mind that portrait was taken with the DFA21mm f/2.4 at pretty close range so his features are somewhat exaggerated.

Here is a better shot taken with the FA77:

He's four years old now, his markings are at full visibility. I was using that rock as a prop to stand my Pentax KP with the D-FA21mm f/2.4 on. In a fashion that is typical of him Tigger was curious and wanted to sniff the damn rock, so I took the opportunity to get a photo of him.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-10-2022 at 07:54 PM.
01-10-2022, 11:50 PM   #1198
Veteran Member

Bear in mind that portrait was taken with the DFA21mm f/2.4 at pretty close range so his features are somewhat exaggerated.

Here is a better shot taken with the FA77:

He's four years old now, his markings are at full visibility. I was using that rock as a prop to stand my Pentax KP with the D-FA21mm f/2.4 on. In a fashion that is typical of him Tigger was curious and wanted to sniff the damn rock, so I took the opportunity to get a photo of him.
He is beautiful....
01-11-2022, 05:02 AM - 4 Likes   #1199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shelly Quote
He is beautiful....

+1 on that. A very handsome kitty. He definitely has the face of a hunter whereas Annabelle has the face of a lap-cat Image to come today, but with accidental lighting so not as fine an image as the two you've posted of Tigger). When she was young* she was a decent hunter, not as good as either Blacky (the smartest cat I've ever had) nor Laura (a Persian Princess in Exile who did not look the part of a huntress, but the was both good and determined).

*Annie was found as a stray, gave birth to seven kittens in a shelter (she is petite, under eight pounds, where did she fit seven kittens??), then she was adopted by a friend of our daughter. Sabrina fell on hard times and had to give up Annie but could not abide sending her back to a shelter, so she came to us in 2011. We estimate she is 14 or 15 years old now.

PS added one hour later. Three quicky images of Annabelle. The different light sources (sunlight through a window, primarily incandescent, and somewhat mixed) give her coat a slightly different color. The stripes on her face are near neutral black, but the faint stripes on her torso are slightly tawny. Her facial markings are very similar to Tigger's, but the shape of her face, head and ears are subtly different.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-11-2022 at 06:20 AM.
01-11-2022, 11:44 AM   #1200
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both are wonderfully beautiful! We have a "Tigger" as well, a red tabby. I've posted some images of him here. Feisty dude, spoiled rotten (how not? )