Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2015, 12:13 AM   #496
Veteran Member

There're a load of really fun looking Russian lenses that is like to use, but what I'd really like is an inexpensive wide lens. Unfortunately it looks like prior to APS-C no-one was really that interested in sub-20mm focal lengths.

08-21-2015, 01:26 AM   #497
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Malaysia's currency has dropped in value for about %20 since some months ago. and that makes it harder to get a good deal on fleabay. sigh!
Most currencies have done this against the $US.... but non US sellers mostly seem to be a bit greedy and haven't adjusted their prices.....stuff is just siting on the market over priced......I'd hang out till the priced level out.

---------- Post added 21-08-15 at 05:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
*sigh* So this is NOT good.

I've been going through my albums etc and thinking about my line up for the next few months, as well as just digging around in my lens box/bags. I have only just discovered that I did an ENTIRE month on the tamron 28mm/2.8 back in March last year - that I have NO recollection of doing. =/ Am just a bit shocked at my memory loss!
Forgetting this sought of thing is quite normal......take it easy on yourself....... probally a good sign that back then you were in the moment enjoying .......one of the best things doing the single in thing is you have some great shots from back then as well.... and a lens to do all over again with! If it doesn't feel right....sell the lens to a friend and buy it back again and back to business as usual.

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-21-2015 at 01:34 AM.
08-21-2015, 02:03 AM   #498
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Most currencies have done this against the $US.... but non US sellers mostly seem to be a bit greedy and haven't adjusted their prices.....stuff is just siting on the market over priced......I'd hang out till the priced level out.
Yeah, I'll probably have to wait.
08-21-2015, 02:45 AM   #499
Veteran Member

Listen up carefully, boys and girls, because Uncle Pete has a story to tell. Several years ago I found a wonderful dentist here in Chengdu, the best dentist I ever encountered in my life. She is a tiny woman, trained in the USA, and when I had one of my front teeth removed, I didn't feel a thing. Literally, not even the entry of the anaesthetic needle. Splendid, because I am a total coward.

However, her prices are very high for China, and as me and HY are saving money to emigrate (except for LBA, that doesn't count) we asked around to find another dentist, gentle but cheap! A friend recommended a specific dentist who worked in an ENORMOUS practice on one of the busier streets downtown. About 2 full levels of a complete block. This was rather intimidating, because it suggested that the prices might be high there too. However, the dentist and all his staff were charming and very capable, and the work he did was almost totally painless.

The reason I think this story is notable is because of the surroundings. Here they are:

Isn't that wonderful?

All shots taken with the DA21, which is why they are here not in today's thread. Also, I was forbidden to take photos, which explains the tilt.

I think the whole place must once have been a monastery, or is trying hard to look like one. When we walked into the reception area we were quite alarmed, because the level of luxury looked very expensive. Also, there were so many staff around - a girl at ground level to usher us into the lift, 2 male and 2 female greeters on both floors, and each room had a greeter outside it. Each female greeter in salmon-peach or lemon-yellow party frock, and her job was to convey us to the dental nurse. 2 dental nurses for each dentist, dressed in white. The X-ray technician had 3 nurses. One thing that was very surprising was that there was a cake shop in reception, I presume they are trying to encourage tooth decay!

And the total price of my extraction? $26.59. That's right, twenty-six dollars fifty-nine cents. (equivalent)

btw, please don't think I am mocking religion in any way - the only reason for this post is because I think this place is totally anachronistic in China.

Last edited by Bagga_Txips; 08-21-2015 at 02:53 AM.
08-21-2015, 05:12 AM   #500
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry Sara; my selfies sucked.
08-21-2015, 05:21 AM   #501
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Sorry Sara; my selfies sucked.
So did mine

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 08-21-2015 at 04:43 PM.
08-21-2015, 05:28 AM   #502
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm still going to try mine, selfie that is. I've an idea that I hope will work. Depending on two things....if my remote still works and I don't chicken out.

08-21-2015, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #503
Veteran Member

Mine was a bit of a dog.
08-21-2015, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #504
Veteran Member

Lol You guys are great. Not sure if I'll be belfing or selfing or both or neither... I'd like to do another belfie soon, but the last one was such a hassle to set up. We'll see what I can come up with. I'll go check out today's photos after work this evening. ^_^
08-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #505
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
How does that work with the flange distance? Monstrous conversion?
No issues with this older Nikkor lens. It was converted by a forum member here and works like any M or K series lens. Brilliant really and nice glass.
08-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #506
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel like this has come up before somewhere in the past but if not I'll bring it up anyway. Did we ever establish a guide for image posting size? I know we've had some recent discussion of extra image size guidelines but I continue to see that we have a wide variety of sized post in the SIC thread. Personally, I post most of images with the longest side being 1,000 pixels. At times I feel even that's too large. As a lot of us post through flickr or other 3rd party image hosting sites, if it's bigger out on the host, people can always go there and expand the image if they want to see more.

I guess what's motivating me here is that some posts here are just really big and it get's hard to review them - I say that even though I have big monitors. I'm curious about how we feel about this. If no one cares we just continue as we've been doing but if there are some suggestion on this let's kick it around. Thoughts?
08-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #507
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

One thing people should realize on uploading large photos, isn't just small monitors but also slow internet speeds. Some people are still on dial up or slow DSL connections that large photos can cause them to lag...bad.

I have a 25 inch monitor and still have to scroll to see the larger photos. I try not to upload my photos larger than 1280 on the long side. Even that is too big for those with 15 to 19 inch monitors or dial up.
08-21-2015, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #508
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I make sure mine is no more than 1024 on the longest side.
08-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #509
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1024 works for me, secondary pics are always smaller.
08-21-2015, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #510
Pentaxian

I do mine at 1024, but will admit on my 12" laptop I have to scroll to see even that, but wouldn't expect people to post smaller these days.