Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 209 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started a thread on how good a Rokinon 8mm was, the members involved convinced me I needed/wanted this lens. I'm returning a lens, and in exchange I'm getting that lens above. If I get the other lens returned and they get me the 8mm to me before the first. That's the lens I'll shoot with this month.

08-26-2015, 04:20 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote

I just went out back and tested the lowly F 35-80 for a few minutes. It was a positive enough experience shooting it and looking at the shots on the computer that I could actually end up Septembering with it instead of A 70-210...
I would be interested in seeing the results from this. Doesn't appear to be all that common on eBay but I've never felt the pull to actually buy one either.

Not sure if I'll be in for September. Lots of family stuff and a busy return to work after summer. I do like the sound of the 15 in October though.

---------- Post added 26th Aug 2015 at 12:33 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just tossing ideas - not personally invested in any of them. Maybe we could have a dual theme - Architecture: blue (red or green etc.) You could shoot either or both or none at all.
This is a good idea. Mixing it up a bit.

Think I might have to come up with a few personal themes to follow during the month in order to link images together. Might be quite difficult to keep up though.
08-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #48

Photos: Albums
I'm swithering between the Sigma 10-20, and the Tamron 90, neither of which I have used much. Leaning towards the Tamron, just to provide more of a change from the 17-50 I was using in August.
08-27-2015, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok, themes for September then. Chucked in colour, which we've had for I think every month with theme days so far. I've gone with the architecture, texture, and B&W suggestions; for the other non-selfie-theme day I thought I'd throw in something that came to me this morning: a photo where something about the light is the point. There are many possibilities in interpretation and execution, I think it'll be really interesting to see what people do with it. (But if there are marked objections we can do something else instead, of course.)

Saturday 5th September: Architecture
Saturday 12th September: Texture
Saturday 19th September: B&W
Monday 21st September: B/Selfies for Sara
Saturday 26th September: Light

08-27-2015, 05:34 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like it!
08-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Ok, themes for September then. Chucked in colour, which we've had for I think every month with theme days so far. I've gone with the architecture, texture, and B&W suggestions; for the other non-selfie-theme day I thought I'd throw in something that came to me this morning: a photo where something about the light is the point. There are many possibilities in interpretation and execution, I think it'll be really interesting to see what people do with it. (But if there are marked objections we can do something else instead, of course.)

Saturday 5th September: Architecture
Saturday 12th September: Texture
Saturday 19th September: B&W
Monday 21st September: B/Selfies for Sara
Saturday 26th September: Light

Works for me! However there may be some people who find themselves far from buildings - perhaps architecture is a theme that can stretch to include natural architectures if the person is creative with how they look at it.
08-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Saturday 5th September: Architecture Saturday 12th September: Texture Saturday 19th September: B&W Monday 21st September: B/Selfies for Sara Saturday 26th September: Light
That's great to me. and this time I should add them to calendar, so won't miss them.

08-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A welcome change with the themes. I will say that the color themes have been very good and durable but these new themes are interesting and already have my mind's eye going. Thanks.
08-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My band has a few gigs in September so my participation might be spotty but I'm going to give it a try.....will be either my DA 20-40, my FA31 or my GR. Will decide at the last minute as usual!

I like the new themes!
08-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still have no idea what lens to use.

The things missing: Lightweight Zooms (DA 50-200, DA 55-300, DA 18-55, DA 18-135), Dedicated Macro (F 100 2.8), SuperTelephoto (Sigma 400 AF), Manual Zooms (80-200 M series f/4.5) ,,,,,,,,,,,,mmmmm
The DA 50-200 sold. Scratch that option. The only DA 18-55 I have at my house right now is literally NIB. Scratch that. The manual zoom is nice but slow and my eyes are really bad at focusing but it's a new camera body (K3 vs. K50) maybe I will have more luck with focus confirmation and/or live view?
08-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Single in September 2015

Been thinking about my 28mm on my Lumix. Given the 2x crop factor it should be like 56mm (equivalent*), but I don't think it is. I stood in the same place, and shot with that combo, and with the 35 on my K-30 (53.5 equivalent). Way different, which surprised me, as my 30 (46 equivalent) and 35 (53.5 equivalent) were much closer when I looked at them back to back - and that difference in focal length is greater.

Thinks... The adaptor is as long as the lens. As long as my 50mm lens, which is actually 50mm long.

So ... Acting like a small extension tube perhaps?

I think I will play with this combo through the month - including checking out infinity focus. Probably just jpg, as the RAW files from the Lumix are kind of crap.

*for the purposes of not prevaricating endlessly throughout this post, please take it as read that I know they're not equal, but there is at least an equivalence in terms of field of view.

Also, thinking about the themes this morning... Aside from the clang associations, they can be mixed and matched together quite nicely, even all four at once: a B&W architectural shot where the main point is the play of light on the texture of the surface. or other combos as one might or might not fancy.

Have fun. 8)
08-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Have fun. 8)
Exactly! Life is too short to do otherwise.
08-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Been thinking about my 28mm on my Lumix. Given the 2x crop factor it should be like 56mm (equivalent*), but I don't think it is. I stood in the same place, and shot with that combo, and with the 35 on my K-30 (53.5 equivalent). Way different, which surprised me, as my 30 (46 equivalent) and 35 (53.5 equivalent) were much closer when I looked at them back to back - and that difference in focal length is greater.

Which model Panasonic?
08-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Which model Panasonic?

Lumix G10. Micro 4/3
08-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lumix G10. Micro 4/3
Nice I think those M4/3 cameras are interesting.

On another note (ironic actually) this should be required reading for anyone joining this group:
10 Tips on How to Cure Yourself of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

I don't agree with everything he says but I do understand many of the points. GAS is a problem for a lot of people. I find in some ways SIC quells it for me as I have only one lens to focus on all month. Also the plethora of cheap lenses that make great humbling images tells me a lot about GAS...