Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 209 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #496
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got nothing today. Course day isn't over but it's dark outside now so the possibility of me getting anything is just about nil.

09-17-2015, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #497
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I got nothing today. Course day isn't over but it's dark outside now so the possibility of me getting anything is just about nil.
There's a small, warmly-lit still life on some table in your home.
09-17-2015, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #498
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's a small, warmly-lit still life on some table in your home.
Always! ^_^

Well, the Sedalia Photo Club was, honestly, super fun. They had some themes, we looked at some prints. Mr. HDR was not there and, in fact, the president gave him a pretty solid jab when she called him by name and was telling me that the images they like to see in the group are "what the camera sees" and not with a lot of added elements a la Photoshop. :-o I'm hoping this general rule doesn't exclude the sort of tonal/level adjustment that I enjoy with my RAW files, but we'll see.

Supposedly there is going to be a "Show and Tell" critique next time. I'm anxious to see what kind of constructive criticism comes out, 'cause I'm not looking for a lot of ego-petting.

Of course, no group can replace my Single In family. This place is true love. ;-)

(For the inquiring minds: No. No one else had a Pentax.)
09-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #499
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not in my house. I live, I mean literally, in a bedroom, though I am a owner, I prefer my living to be here, in this 15x18 bedroom. I have my tv, my computers, my kitchen, my clothes closet, my .......... whatever else here. I do not use the rest of the house because my sister and her son annoy me. LOL

09-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #500
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not in my house. I live, I mean literally, in a bedroom, though I am a owner, I prefer my living to be here, in this 15x18 bedroom. I have my tv, my computers, my kitchen, my clothes closet, my .......... whatever else here. I do not use the rest of the house because my sister and her son annoy me. LOL
Heh - I get it. My daughter lives in a 400ish sq. ft. UWS apartment in NYC - same deal. Stores her Diet Coke in the oven. We can't give her 'things' because she has nowhere to put them. 6" of counter space (literally - 6").

Her rent is more than my mortgage.

But - she loves New York.
09-17-2015, 08:17 PM   #501
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the lens you picked for this month that might be tough... but what is the point of having a challenge if you can't play with it. Can you take a close shot of a light with a shade and blow it all out strange?

I'm a fine one to talk - lots of gaps in my record this month. LOL
09-17-2015, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #502
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I hadn't seen that, but I was thinking a piece of pink eraser like we used to use in grade school... only instead of throwing at my buddy, I'll jam the pin coupler lever.
Here is one thread - with a few suggestions. I'd forgotten about the straw version.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/103454-m42-...n-dilemma.html

I think I originally found the solution via the Russian Lenses thread - but it's a beast of a thread and I can't seem to get the search function to find the exact post.

And yes.... Sara's got my back. By cotton bud, I mean q-tip for you Americans

09-17-2015, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #503
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I missed two days this month Brad.

BTW, I did the college thing also at the age of 42. I lived in an 8x8 ft dorm room for two years. This room is much bigger. I have a 18 cubic ft refrigerator, a 46 inch TV, my computer x 3, a microwave cart that serves as counter top for my coffee pot. It has a small two door cabinet that stores food, it also has a covered shelf that I store canned goods on and misc. food stuffs. A twin bed sits against one wall. Computers and printer and scanner all on separate tables.
Maybe tomorrow I will post a photo with fish eye. After I clean up a bit though. LOL
09-17-2015, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #504
Veteran Member

Aaah Mr HDR... I posted a somewhat critical comment on his website, and he deleted it very quickly indeed.

It's such a shame that we see threads of shots from history, where people have to struggle to restore the images from old negs or slides from decades ago, yet nowadays people give praise to shots from only last week or so that show colours that are obviously ruined by the post-processing. For example, I have never been to Sedalia, but I absolutely KNOW that the sky could never be that particular blue, and the buildings aren't two-dimensional and illuminated from behind.

Last edited by Bagga_Txips; 09-18-2015 at 01:10 AM.
09-17-2015, 10:55 PM - 2 Likes   #505
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
For example, I have never been to Sedalia, but I absolutely KNOW that the sky could never be that particular blue, and the buildings aren't two-dimensional and illuminated from behind.
Don't discount those buildings yet! Christo may have been through recently and actually wrapped all the buildings in plastic wrap.
09-18-2015, 03:33 AM   #506
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I noticed the K-50 was on sale for about US $300, does anyone have one of these. I am thinking about getting one for my daughter, she learned film photography on my old K1000, and uses my old Panasonic 4/3ds digital camera now , but I know she wants a fully manual option DSLR in order to capture her pictures. Yes, money is an object, so is the K-50 worth the price?

Re Living space. People who live in NYC and other cities often only use their apartments to sleep in, otherwise the city is their living room (and dining room, if you find the inexpensive places to eat, or make a lot of money). It's a different lifestyle , and one most of us with children probably can't imagine.

When I was in Iraq, I lived in a 7 foot by 7 foot (ca. 2 meter square) room. Fortunately,the ceiling was over 3 meters high, and the previously occupant had created an imaginative living space, with storage, a bed, and even a desk. I loved my little room, because I had to keep really irregular hours and having to live in one of the big open bays common to the rest of the camp would have driven me, and my roommates, nuts.

Last edited by robgski; 09-18-2015 at 03:43 AM.
09-18-2015, 03:45 AM   #507
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I noticed the K-50 was on sale for about US $300, does anyone have one of these. I am thinking about getting one for my daughter, she learned film photography on my old K1000, and uses my old Panasonic 4/3ds digital camera now , but I know she wants a fully manual option DSLR in order to capture her pictures. Yes, money is an object, so is the K-50 worth the price?
I have the K-50; all my shots here are with it. I have a little over 15k shots on mine and it's amazing. I can shoot full-manual (and have with my K/300) or put a DA 50mm f1.8 and it's practically a point-and-shoot...

I will admit, I have nothing to compare it to, DLSR-wise, coming from a Fuji bridge camera, I love what I can do with it...

Less than $300? I'm thinking of buying a second one for the missus....
09-18-2015, 04:57 AM   #508
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the k50 and now a k3. Both are great cameras. The k50 is a bit smaller and lacks a top lcd. It has scene modes but supports full manual control. My shots from the first part of the year were all with the k50.
09-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #509
Veteran Member

The K50 would be an excellent camera. I have a K500 which is the same except for Weather Sealing and Focus points in VF. It is an easy camera to use and renders exceedingly nice images. It's a bit smaller than the K3 (which I have along with the K500) -- but not too small. The K50 is most certainly a bargain on a most capable camera. All the manual options are present and accounted for, so there is no worries about stifling creativity.

Last edited by ripper2860; 09-18-2015 at 10:02 AM.
09-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #510
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I had a K-30, and bought a K-50 for a friend, both cameras were just the same thing in different housings.
Loved my K-30. she'll have lot of joy with it.
But I've seen also K-S1 around that price, maybe that could also be a good choice for her.