Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PP Challenge #158 - Watson Lake

Welcome to Post Processing Challenge #158! The images were taken at Watson Lake Park in Prescott Arizona. You are being provided three bracketed photographs. You may use any one, all, or any combination as you see fit. The photographs were taken with a K3 camera and a DA* 16-50/F2.8 lens. I will close this challenge on Wednesday September 16th at approximately 5:00 AM Arizona time. Let the festivities commence!

JPG Previews:

(0) Exposure

(-) Exposure

(+) Exposure

DNG Downloads:

Simple File Sharing and Storage.
(0) Exposure

(-) Exposure

(+) Exposure

Information for the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: pentaxchallenge@yahoo.com
The password is: postprocessing
Note to host: Copy and paste the above MediaFire information into your challenge to help the next winner

09-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is difficult because it's such a good image in the first place. I don't want to make it look bad just to make it look different.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ala Natural?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-08-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A little more POP.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-09-2015, 03:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Beautiful image.

Tried treating it with luminance HDR, then tonemapping and editing the hdr file in darktable
The two variants differ by a little exposure tweaks (click for larger versions)

For fun i attach this which is the result of aligning the images in luminance using the align_image_stack algorithm...that somehow finds out that the reflection of the tree fits well over its real copy :P One can consider it a proof of the laws of reflection....

The surreal colors are also very interesting

09-09-2015, 03:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

HDR'd it with hdr efex

One file edit enhanced the time of day with perfect effects setting and added border:

Last edited by D1N0; 09-10-2015 at 07:55 AM.
09-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NeatKnight Quote
This is difficult because it's such a good image in the first place. I don't want to make it look bad just to make it look different.
You failed - you didn't make it look bad at all I quite like the treatment you gave it.

09-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
HDR merge in luminance, crop and edit in LR, moved to PS to subdue the colors somewhat, I wanted to create a "natural+" looking image... You know, it is kinda natural except everything is bosted just a tad, as it usually is in your minds eye.

Name:  20150909-pp158v3.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  73.2 KB

Edit: changed image

Last edited by discharged; 09-09-2015 at 02:52 PM.
09-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help with the Download

I need help!

Ever since I began doing these challenges, I have had trouble downloading the image from Mediafire. I seem to only be able to download a thumbnail and it ends up in tiff format!

Today I grabbed the link and then signed in, and then the same old result. I then went to the folder where all the photos are kept and tried from there. No luck.

To date, someone has always been nice enough to give me an alternate link (to their own service I suspect), but that really does not really solve the problem (although it helps). Can someone tell me what is happening here and why I am having this trouble? I have been using PCs and the Internet since the early 80s and I feel like the village idiot.

I am using a Mac with OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite) and I have tried the download with Safari, FireFox, and Chrome.

Many thanks in advance.

Don
09-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #10

Here's mine. Just used the (+) raw file.
tnx

09-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I need help!

Ever since I began doing these challenges, I have had trouble downloading the image from Mediafire. I seem to only be able to download a thumbnail and it ends up in tiff format!

Today I grabbed the link and then signed in, and then the same old result. I then went to the folder where all the photos are kept and tried from there. No luck.

To date, someone has always been nice enough to give me an alternate link (to their own service I suspect), but that really does not really solve the problem (although it helps). Can someone tell me what is happening here and why I am having this trouble? I have been using PCs and the Internet since the early 80s and I feel like the village idiot.

I am using a Mac with OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite) and I have tried the download with Safari, FireFox, and Chrome.

Many thanks in advance.

Don
My bet is that you just missed the link, the page is really crappy designed...

Follow the link, you should see a thumbnail and on the very top of that page you should also get a number of links follow, share, download, sign up, log in...

Simply press the download button and that's it!
09-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
My bet is that you just missed the link, the page is really crappy designed...

Follow the link, you should see a thumbnail and on the very top of that page you should also get a number of links follow, share, download, sign up, log in...

Simply press the download button and that's it!
Discharged - This is what I have done numerous times. All I get is the thumbnail at the top of the page in tiff format. That's why I did the sign-in and then went to the folders. It seems to be some sort of Mac thing, although I can download DNGs and other raw formats from other sites. I am incredibly frustrated.
09-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Discharged - This is what I have done numerous times. All I get is the thumbnail at the top of the page in tiff format. That's why I did the sign-in and then went to the folders. It seems to be some sort of Mac thing, although I can download DNGs and other raw formats from other sites. I am incredibly frustrated.
Then try this way.
once logged in click the litte down arrow next to the portrait in the upper right corner.
A drop down menu should appear. click my files

Now we try two different ways.

on the left side of the file you want (before the small thumbnail) there is a check box. mark it and a menu should appear up at the top, select download.

if that does not work

on the far right of the file you want you should have a round button with a down arrow in it. click there and select download.

I've tried on a MAC and it works for me.
09-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
Then try this way.
once logged in click the litte down arrow next to the portrait in the upper right corner.
A drop down menu should appear. click my files

Now we try two different ways.

on the left side of the file you want (before the small thumbnail) there is a check box. mark it and a menu should appear up at the top, select download.

if that does not work

on the far right of the file you want you should have a round button with a down arrow in it. click there and select download.

I've tried on a MAC and it works for me.
Worked - went back to Chrome and used the sign-in. Thanks

---------- Post added 09-10-15 at 08:28 PM ----------

I missed doing these this summer while traveling.

Here's a couple:

Last edited by AggieDad; 09-10-2015 at 07:54 PM.
09-10-2015, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This started with the idea that I wanted to frame the shot with the edges...

My usual workflow.. HDRMerge to Rawtherapee to Gimp... Also used Color Efx, Topaz Denoise and G'mic within Gimp...

Edit: Just couldn't ignore the incomplete look that the above version has.... So, apologies for the sensory overload but here's an updated version that while not being as clean an edit as the above at least looks more completed to me...

Last edited by todd; 09-11-2015 at 03:49 PM.