Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

WR-pride or please share your WR-masterpieces!!!

Lets start from the start - Pentax crowd is very proud of the WR-ability in Pentax gear.

To the point of:

Obviously some people around here are so proud to be the last photographer standing under the poring rain and still be able to shoot, that I'm dying (I kinda suspect that I'm not the only one) to see some shots that are actually "pride"-worthy.

Please, be kind to us - the ignorant buggers - and show at least one shot done under the poring rain/snow/dust storm - that would justify the whole WR-hysteria.

Main criteria:
-It has to be something that you wouldn't have been able to shoot if it wasn't for the WR
-The shot must be public-exposure-on-a-large-billboard worthy, which implies that your shot must have some artistic (Photographic with capital "P") quality to it

*these, obviously, do not apply to the above-shown example

A few notes:
-I know that this thread is somewhat provocative, but I'm inviting you to restrain from flaming.
-I use Pentax gear my-self, one of the reasons - the WR (I can show you some shots done standing chest-deep in the water with WR and non-WR lenses), so no - I'm not a troll from CaNikon land if you were meaning to treat me as such...

Sooooo, lets see it!!! Don't be shy!!!

Last edited by alexeyga; 10-22-2015 at 12:00 PM.
10-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, I would not call either of these "billboard" worthy....but I think they are cool snaps, and my camera was soaked after this (the snow was coming down like crazy)

The black furry thing in the second pic is my poor dog...that was his first exposure to snow (he, like myself, is a california boy and we knew nothing about snow).
These were taken with my 18-135mm.
10-22-2015, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From my 2014 trip to the Bodie, California Ghost town - in the snow (not planned that way either), but with my K3+DA*16-50 no problem and just kept shooting.

and one more. Back when it used to rain in California...here is a shot an a rainy day in Jack London State Park. Many of the other photogs just had to put there plastic covers on their camera gear, but I just kept shooting with my K5 and DA*16-50...

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 10-22-2015 at 11:07 AM.
10-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"Cool shots" don't count!!! But props for being brave!

It has to be a "masterpiece" that you can easily see as a cover of the [big name] magazine!

10-22-2015, 11:11 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
"Cool shots" don't count!!! But props for being brave!

It has to be a "masterpiece" that you can easily see as a cover of the [big name] magazine!
Like the kids standing around playing soccer in the rain? Is that a "masterpiece"?
10-22-2015, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Like the kids standing around playing soccer in the rain? Is that a "masterpiece"?
In the newspaper:
Kids continue playing in the rain
This last weekend it was pouring rain but the kids kept playing their important soccer tournament.
Luckily for us, a brave shooter with WR Pentax gear captured this photo in the rain...
10-22-2015, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
billboards are usually advertising though aren't they? Which IMO is very different than artistic masterpiece. Here's an airshow shot. We really got dumped on. I was still standing even after the media had all closed up shop. Someone from the media offered to put my gear in their bag. I kindly declined. I was using a non WR lens, but simply donated my hat to cover the lens and pointed it down when not shooting.. no problems.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I think that is worthy of a christmas card.
10-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately for these worshiping the WR, if a magazine wanted a picture of kids playing in a rain - that would have been a shot done under artificial rain, with big-arse studio lights. Camera's resistance to nature's elements wouldn't have made any difference.

---------- Post added 10-22-2015 at 02:38 PM ----------

Guys, come on, please don't turn it into another "WR-prizing" topic.

The pics that you were able to take thanks to WR - are not the point!

What I wan't to see - are the pics that were actually worth taking.
10-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
What I wan't to see - are the pics that were actually worth taking.
And what is the determination of pics "actually worth taking"? I think most of us think many of our images are worth taking; or we'd give up photography.
10-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
And what is the determination of pics "actually worth taking"? I think most of us think many of our images are worth taking; or we'd give up photography.
Let's put it this way, a picture of kids playing in a rain taken solely because you can - is worthless if its only value is in the fact that you took it.

Does this picture has any photographic quality? As far as I'm concerned - zero.
10-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And yet, you posted it. This appeared to be an example of what you considered "worthy".
10-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
And yet, you posted it!
Nope, I've snatched it from the Sport's photography thread!!! To make a point - that is...
10-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's ultimately nothing that you couldn't possibly have photographed without the built in weather resistance. A non-WR camera just needs a rain cover. So the premise isn't really valid. What it does get you is not having to run while trying to protect your camera from the elements if you didn't plan ahead and bring protection.

Probably my favorite shot that I would never have tried without WR is this one:

Photo taken on 2014-11-21 at 140601 - using a PENTAX PENTAX K-5 with a smc PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM at 36 mm-1-3200 sec at f - 11-ISO 80 -_.jpg

For context, here's a shot from a couple minutes before:

Photo taken on 2014-11-21 at 135952 - using a PENTAX PENTAX K-5 with a smc PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM at 16 mm-1-1600 sec at f - 11-ISO 80 -_.jpg

It was about 22 degrees F, too. Not the most comfortable photograph I've ever taken.
10-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
There's ultimately nothing that you couldn't possibly have photographed without the built in weather resistance. A non-WR camera just needs a rain cover. So the premise isn't really valid. What it does get you is not having to run while trying to protect your camera from the elements if you didn't plan ahead and bring protection.
Good point, but I still want to see some poring rain masterpieces that justify the whole "we're so much better because we have WR" - attitude.

B.t.w. you're sensor might use some cleaning... or these are water droplets on the front element?