Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2015, 11:25 PM - 3 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After using my gear under rain, I cannot think of switching to something non-WR.

These photos were shot under a pouring rain, as it is obvious

And this one, even though not visible, but I was shooting in a rainy day. if it wasn't because of my WR macro lens, I wouldn't be there.

10-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I couldn't take a front cover image with anything yet invented, but I still take images in the rain because I want to.
My son with his fancy Canon uses a plastic supermarket bag as a rain shield while I'm just taking photos.
This thread is as pointless as they get.
Goodnight.
10-23-2015, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. Fun idea for a thread. Ask people to post photos taken with WR and then tell them that their photos aren't masterpieces.

I take photos for my own enjoyment. The fact that my gear is weather sealed is nice and if I get a photo of my kids in the rain or snow, that works for me. But few of my photos (rain or shine) are masterpieces. Maybe it would be better to start a thread called "Post Your Masterpieces Here" and let people post their best photos taken in whatever weather and then critique them.
10-23-2015, 05:09 AM   #34
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

good thing there is an 'ignore' feature on this forum...

10-23-2015, 06:17 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Michael, those are spectacular images! Thanks for sharing them with us!
Thank you Carol, I forgotto mention that the fire was only a few blocks from my house.
10-23-2015, 09:32 AM - 3 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I take photos for my own enjoyment. The fact that my gear is weather sealed is nice and if I get a photo of my kids in the rain or snow, that works for me. But few of my photos (rain or shine) are masterpieces.
+1
And don't sell yourself short. I sometimes disagree with you, but your talent as a photographer is pretty clear.

For me, I don't own a camera to only create art, I do it to capture memories. Like you mentioned above, my son playing in the rain. I wouldnt take a non-WR kit into a rain storm so I can capture my son playing in puddles. Of course those shots won't be considered masterpieces...but those memories will be more important to me than any work of art.
10-23-2015, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not going to post my less than stellar whale pictures from Maui last Christmas, but no-one else on the boat was using their cameras and everyone on the boat was a trooper. The weather was so bad that 44 of the 55 people booked didn't show up. My party of 3 was over a quarter of the 11 who did.

I've personally never really worried about the WR abilities if there was a shot to take. K10 and 55-300 in 40 mph winds and in the trough on the boat and rain pouring down. Got some whale shots. Enough for me. I have been places where I appreciated the fact that all I needed to worry about was getting rain on the front element.

On the other hand, I've been laughed at by my teenagers because a whale in the show chose me for the tidal wave from its tail and I spent the last half of the show wiping down my K 55/1.8 and KX (film, guys, film) to get the salt water off. It worked just fine after. If I had had the K10 with me, I could have shot the rest of the show.

10-26-2015, 12:27 AM - 5 Likes   #38

K-5 with the 18-135 on the insidiously fine sand of the North Western Sahara (within Morocco). Stumbled and crawled my way up the 300 metre sand dune having the camera thump the dunes a few times but no real issue save for a suddenly sticky and jammy lens hood. In contrast, wife dropped her Canon S90 onto the sand and for a few moments, the lens cover won't close properly when powered down.

10-29-2015, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #39
Forum Member

Here's another one on a smaller scale. Taking a "rain hike" with my son, he spotted a caterpillar on the wooden handrail of the stairs. I'd brought along my K-30 with the 100mm WR macro and took a few shots using the pop-up flash and a small diffuser I'd stuck in my pocket. I wouldn't have brought a non-WR camera with me, so it's the only way I could have gotten the shot.

When camping and hiking, the weather is often highly variable and I enjoy not having to treat my camera like paper mache when the rain rolls in.
Attached Images

Last edited by scottike; 10-29-2015 at 10:02 AM.
10-30-2015, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Pouring down rain for during this pic:
10-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I posted this one as a tbt last night on Instagram. I could have done this without WR but it's nice to know you are prepared if conditions change (which they do a lot in these places).
11-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #42

Photos: Albums
Not pretending I have any WR masterpieces (but I'll attach a couple of photos anyways...)
The best part about pentax WR? I have no fear taking my camera anywhere. I have hundreds of examples where I brought my camera with no second thoughts specifically because its water/snow/sand proof.
I'll drag my pentax anywhere - and maybe not even need the WR... but I'll have it because I'm not worried.
Here are a couple of snow shots... taken while it was still snowing

this one made it into a calendar... (although admittedly it is a calendar of Winery Dogs of BC... so doggie playing in snowy vineyard is a bit of a shoe-in

11-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Masterpiece? Probably not, but certainly something I treasure. Taken from the Maid of the Mist.

Jim

11-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seem to notice that the OP has bowed out of the discussion. Great photos everyone!