Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Sirui T-025x
Aha you opted for this one after all! I will go find that thread to read all about it...

I'm probably in (despite some serious obstacles, or maybe because of them) and leaning toward my trusty old "$10 Toyo" Tou/Five Star 28/2.8, because I haven't SIC'd with it and because I'm a bit in the mood for fake-film/vintagy stuff which this lens lends itself to... If it's not the Toyo it'll be due to laziness and then I will opt for FA31 or FA77 since I haven't SIC'd with them since 2013...

10-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As confirmed in the other thread, I'm in with my Hanimex 500mm f8 mirror.
10-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am in, depends on what my weekend trip to the camera store results in
10-27-2015, 04:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote

I can't wait until selfie day.

Now that is just downright frightening!

10-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Probably join in this month. Not sure which lens, yet. I still have the 28-80mm F Zoom lens I haven't singled in yet. And the new white 18-55mm plastic mount. Decisions, decisions.......I'll let you know before hand of course. Think about buying another lens. Found another Sigma zoom I'm looking at if I can get the stuff I need to sell sold.
10-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I thought I'd take a test shot with the mirror lens just to get a feel for it. I stepped outside thinking of shooting the moon but the clouds have rolled in to hide it. I walked up to the corner and set up the tripod to take this shot. The are two sets of traffic lights in this image; the nearest is 1/2 mile away and the other is 3/4 mile. You can clearly see a street sign on a pole near the first traffic light. Distance are almost impossible to judge because of the field compression. Anyway, it's an interesting image in its own right and indicative of what will be coming up in November.

K-50, Opteka Mirror Lens 500mm f8.0

*edit* Correction: the traffic lights are actually 3/8 and 5/8 mile away. A little closer than I thought but still a good long distance.

Last edited by dakight; 10-28-2015 at 02:44 AM.
10-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I thought I'd take a test shot with the mirror lens just to get a feel for it. I stepped outside thinking of shooting the moon but the clouds have rolled in to hide it. I walked up to the corner and set up the tripod to take this shot. The are two sets of traffic lights in this image; the nearest is 1/2 mile away and the other is 3/4 mile. You can clearly see a street sign on a pole near the first traffic light. Distance are almost impossible to judge because of the field compression. Anyway, it's an interesting image in its own right and indicative of what will be coming up in November.

K-50, Opteka Mirror Lens 500mm f8.0
Looking forward to it.

10-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm looking forward to see how you do with that mirror lens too.

When I first joined here I asked a question about mirror lenses and was told I should look for one that was a f6.3, I never found one in good shape though. So, I'm interested in how one at f8 works for you.
10-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. Mine is f5.6 so that's where I'll be living all month.
10-27-2015, 11:42 PM   #25

Joining the 500 in November Challenge with my Tamron SP55BB mirror lens. Or maybe I should give myself a real challenge and try a month with the MTO 1100A 1100/10.5 mirror lens.
I have to think about that one for a few days.
10-28-2015, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Although I'm no sort of boss - and this is after all a game, and we shouldn't get too rigid about things - I feel a need to raise something. There seem to be a couple of different notions of what constitutes a "safety" shot. I have been labouring under the impression that it is a photo taken on the day in question, the day of the post, simply to make sure one has something in the bag, in case nothing better comes along. More often, however, I see "safeties" posted which were taken days previously, or even with a different lens from the month's chosen one.

While yes, it's a game, games do have rules - and kinda need to, otherwise it might just as well be a general "share photos you like" thread.

So, I think we should agree on what is to be the rule here. I vote it were best we stick to posting a photo taken on the day, with our nominated lens; if we have nothing, then we post nothing - rather than a photo from a previous day.

What are others' views?
10-28-2015, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Although I'm no sort of boss - and this is after all a game, and we shouldn't get too rigid about things - I feel a need to raise something. There seem to be a couple of different notions of what constitutes a "safety" shot. I have been labouring under the impression that it is a photo taken on the day in question, the day of the post, simply to make sure one has something in the bag, in case nothing better comes along. More often, however, I see "safeties" posted which were taken days previously, or even with a different lens from the month's chosen one.

While yes, it's a game, games do have rules - and kinda need to, otherwise it might just as well be a general "share photos you like" thread.

So, I think we should agree on what is to be the rule here. I vote it were best we stick to posting a photo taken on the day, with our nominated lens; if we have nothing, then we post nothing - rather than a photo from a previous day.

What are others' views?

I agree.A "safety" is an image taken early in the day to be sure that you at least have something. Anything else would be considered a filler. Safeties are completely legitimate, fillers not so much. Early on I posted fillers once or twice and was corrected. The object is not to post everyday, but rather to shoot everyday then post what was taken in the thread for the day on which it was taken. Also let me encourage... if you have a shot for the day, post it. You may think it's not good enough but the game is not about what's good or bad but rather to get you out shooting. Everyone should make every possible effort to get one shot, even if it a quick snap of the dog or cat but if you just can't (and that happens) then just leave that day open.
10-28-2015, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Dave. A "safety" is taken on the day of posting, and is unimpeachable. A "filler" (or a "mulligan" to borrow a golfing term) is a sort of honest cheat, and over the years I have been guilty of it many times.
Personally, I think posting the occasional filler is acceptable as long as it is acknowledged *and* it adds something to the narrative of your Single In experience, but maybe that is just an attempt at self-justification.
Taking a bunch of shots on one day and using them for a week is totally out of line. It hasn't happened recently, but it has happened....

On another note, uploading images with meaningful EXIF data adds greatly to the ability of others to make considered comments. Without knowing the basics of aperture, shutter speed and ISO it is pretty hard for any of us to learn anything from the work of others.

And, although I am occasionally guilty of it too, the idea is to post *one* shot per day.
10-28-2015, 04:53 AM   #29
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

from the new guy's perspective: I was given the impression that a 'safety' shot is what is being described above... a shot taken on the that day, to have something to post for that day... and I also agree that a 'filler', while not necessarily a big deal, is not within the defined 'rules' of the game.....

having said that, there have been some days where I have scrambled a bit (like yesterday) for a decent shot..... and it all seems to work out...
10-28-2015, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote

What are others' views?
I agree with you completely!

I admit, it is just awfully embarrassing to not have a shot for the day when the whole point of the game is to make a shot every day but I think your perspective is correct. I don't want it to be a "share photos you like" thread - there are tons and tons of those elsewhere (and this other place called "Flickr")...

---------- Post added 10-28-15 at 07:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Taking a bunch of shots on one day and using them for a week is totally out of line. It hasn't happened recently, but it has happened.
Are you sure? Without naming names, I have had my suspicions...