Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2015, 05:01 AM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
well, after a great august, september and October - November was terrible.
Work interfered with my ability to get out and shoot, and also with post-processing and posting.

I spent a fun month with my Da*50-135 - a very fine lens indeed. Great for portraits, and moderate telephoto.
Sharp, nice oof and subject separation.
I really love this lens.
well... loved....

Just to finish off a terrible month I was driving back from the interior of BC down the Fraser Canyon... wiped out my car (totalled), ruined/cracked the lcd screen on my laptop, and... to add insult to injury, my 50-135 was mounted on my k5 - and two days later when I went to turn it on it asked for the focal length..... uhoh...
The lens has partially separated near the mount. Not sure yet if it's repairable...
Need to replace my car and laptop first... then figure out my lens....
Now for the good news... apart from a few stitches in the back of my head... I seem to be fine... time will tell but I can eventually replace the car, laptop and lens... At least it doesn't look at this point like there's any long lasting damage...

Thankful that you're OK. Everything else is, as I have told my son-in-law, just "stuff." Stuff can be repaired or replaced and in a couple of years it will be little more than a bad memory. Do check with your insurance company; often the policy will cover personal belongings in the car at the time of the accident.

12-07-2015, 06:09 AM   #392
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On a related note..... I was recently surprised how cheap it was to have my camera equipment added to my house insurance..... for damage and loss etc......
12-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #393

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Thankful that you're OK. Everything else is, as I have told my son-in-law, just "stuff." Stuff can be repaired or replaced and in a couple of years it will be little more than a bad memory. Do check with your insurance company; often the policy will cover personal belongings in the car at the time of the accident.
oh...it's covered - just comes with a whopping big deductible.
I'm not sure at this point if the damage will exceed the deductible so the claim may end up dropped as the losses are too low...

If I had to replace both (laptop and lens) from scratch we'd definitely be in claim territory - but the screen can be replaced for a modest amount of money and the lens was used to start with so they will likely add up to about what the deductible is...
01-08-2016, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #394

Just a quick update... I'm a lot better so will be back shooting regularly

As it turns out... there's more wrong with my laptop then at first suspected, so it's getting replaced.
Which covers my deductible... so now my camera lens is also getting replaced.
Well sort of.... looking at the prices online right now there was only $100 difference between the 50-135 and 60-250.....
The insurance company is fine with me paying the incremental $100 out of pocket... so guess what is going to be coming my way in a few weeks

Perhaps a silver lining to the story after all...

Mark

01-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #395
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Good one, Mark 8)