Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2015, 05:36 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With respect to EXIF occasionally I forget to post info but I try to remember. What specific data is desired? My pp process removes EXIF and putting it back on a chromebook is very complicated. I try to post ISO, f-stop, aperture, shutter speed, and if using a zoom the focal length used. Flash use and any exposure compensation are things I try to note as well.

10-28-2015, 05:51 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
With respect to EXIF occasionally I forget to post info but I try to remember. What specific data is desired? My pp process removes EXIF and putting it back on a chromebook is very complicated. I try to post ISO, f-stop, aperture, shutter speed, and if using a zoom the focal length used. Flash use and any exposure compensation are things I try to note as well.
I think that's the pertinent information. I have made a habit of including the body and lens information as well. Lightroom captures the brand and model of the body but the lens identification is hit or miss so I always try to include it both in the flickr title/description area and in my post in the game thread.
10-28-2015, 07:51 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I'm more in the camp that posting every day is the goal and while clearly it's better that this be a shot taken on the day an occasional filler doesn't bother me at all even more so if it was from the previous day. As I write this I'm thinking that well there could be this exception or that exception blah blah blah. Hmmmm...I wouldn't want this challenge to become difficult to moderate or too rule bound either, but, clearly these discussions from time to time do help pull us back to ground. So it seems then that what would be best is posting shots for that day taken on that day only (good, bad, or safeties) and no fillers from other days. I guess I talked myself in to it. OTOH, I can't recall if I've ever posted a filler over the past five years, I may have but it's not something I consider doing.
10-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm gonna try again in Nov. I'm of the mind that the purpose of this 'challenge' is to motivate your lazy butt to get out everyday and take a photo, get acquainted with a new lens, get out of your comfort zone/rut etc.
Also for me, posting only one photo for the day is an exercise in editing. Selecting the best of many photos is a skill unto itself. Not saying what anyone else should do, it's just a thought I had.

Thinking along those lines, I'll probably use the DA15. Might miss a few days, but I'll do my best.

10-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Does this have to be the ONLY lens I use for the entire month? Because that's impossible for me - whatever else I choose, I must occasionally switch to the DA35 Macro for work purposes.

Also... does "Pentax or Ricoh body" include Ricoh film SLRs too, or must it be from after the point in time at which Ricoh acquired Pentax? Of course, whatever the case, if it's film, my pics won't go up until mid December sometime!!!
10-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no

for the groups purpose, shooting a particular lens for a month does not weld it onto your camera.
10-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #37
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Does this have to be the ONLY lens I use for the entire month? Because that's impossible for me - whatever else I choose, I must occasionally switch to the DA35 Macro for work purposes.

Also... does "Pentax or Ricoh body" include Ricoh film SLRs too, or must it be from after the point in time at which Ricoh acquired Pentax? Of course, whatever the case, if it's film, my pics won't go up until mid December sometime!!!

from the first page:

"Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/30...#ixzz3psp3PNlW "

10-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
for the groups purpose, shooting a particular lens for a month does not weld it onto your camera.
Correct. I have no idea how to use a welding torch, so when I come around to visit Single In participants I prefer to use the far simpler super glue method.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I've used a Richoh GR Digital 3 in the past, so no, it does not have to be from the post-acquisition period.
10-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #39

What about Samsung's old pentax clones. The GX-10 and GX-20?
10-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hypernotactive Quote
What about Samsung's old pentax clones. The GX-10 and GX-20?
I know someone has used one of those in the past, but I can't remember if it was with a Pentax lens or not? This is getting hairy!

New Thing: my new toy Holga lens is arriving today! Might be fun! :-)
10-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The guideline is to stop our LBA from dipping into Contax, Yashica, Hasselblad, Leica... Even an individual posting with an A7 is legit provided the glass is pentaxian.
10-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I know someone has used one of those in the past, but I can't remember if it was with a Pentax lens or not? This is getting hairy!
I did a quick Google, as I recalled that as well. Looks like the combo was a GX-10 and K135/3.5.
10-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
The guideline is to stop our LBA from dipping into Contax, Yashica, Hasselblad, Leica... Even an individual posting with an A7 is legit provided the glass is pentaxian.
Technically not per the challenge instructions. I was surprised myself when Someone else pointed that out. Personally I thought it was a valid choice but it turns out to Not be one of the listed combinations. Body must be Pentax... Ricoh. I would include the Samsung's that were direct clones they take the same firmware.
10-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Switching my lens to my really yellowed Super Takumar 50mm f1.4.
I found everyday shooting with a really good zoom lenses to be boring. It was way to easy to snap off a good sharp photo. It is good shooting events but not at all a challenge. So back to manual focus and low f-stops. Since I have a spotmatic to test it will do double duty Of digital and some film shots.
10-28-2015, 11:13 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Although I'm no sort of boss - and this is after all a game, and we shouldn't get too rigid about things - I feel a need to raise something. There seem to be a couple of different notions of what constitutes a "safety" shot. I have been labouring under the impression that it is a photo taken on the day in question, the day of the post, simply to make sure one has something in the bag, in case nothing better comes along. More often, however, I see "safeties" posted which were taken days previously, or even with a different lens from the month's chosen one.

While yes, it's a game, games do have rules - and kinda need to, otherwise it might just as well be a general "share photos you like" thread.

So, I think we should agree on what is to be the rule here. I vote it were best we stick to posting a photo taken on the day, with our nominated lens; if we have nothing, then we post nothing - rather than a photo from a previous day.

What are others' views?
A timely reminder Tsuken, thank you; Singles is supposed to be a challenge after all. Taking several pictures on one day and posting them on several consecutive days is not satisfying the challenge (and it has happened this month). I don't think there's any debate really about "safeties" but I do think Sandy's suggestion about "fillers/spares" has merit if his provisos are observed.