Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-14-2015, 11:13 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
Yeah, to tell the truth I was a bit surprised too, to see some of the previous PP challenges with 5-6 entries per person. I guess if you come up with a good idea for a completely different "look" and want to try it, I don't have any problem with that, but if there are 5 images that are just small variations of the same thing, I don't know about that...
I likewise don't necessarily have an issue with someone posting more than one for fun, but DESIGNATE the one you're entering to be judged. Or, replace the previous entry with the new one. That's all I'm saying. Each participant should only have one judgable entry.

Last edited by jheu02; 11-15-2015 at 05:01 PM.
11-14-2015, 11:35 PM   #33

I'm going to guess this was taken in Vermont.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-15-2015, 09:20 AM - 2 Likes   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
I likewise don't necessarily have an issue with someone posting more than one for fun, but DESIGNATE the one you're entering to be judged. Or, replace the previous entry with the new one. That's all I'm saying. Each participant should only have one judgable antry.
I agree, and judging is hard enough with one entry per participant.

I played around a little more with this nice image, and this version replaces my earlier two:

11-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
I likewise don't necessarily have an issue with someone posting more than one for fun, but DESIGNATE the one you're entering to be judged. Or, replace the previous entry with the new one. That's all I'm saying. Each participant should only have one judgable entry.
I think that's an excellent idea!

QuoteOriginally posted by Hmong_Xiong Quote
Was it taken in Michigan?
No, sorry. Try again!

QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
Knocked once, what's inside that red barn?
It's just an old barn that is rented out for events, it had a sign on the door with a phone number to call.

QuoteOriginally posted by meeverett Quote
I'm going to guess this was taken in Vermont.
Hey, you guessed it! You're right! Just for fun, here's a link to where you can see it:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9426179,-72.8412354,3a,75y,167.54h,82.73t/da...7i13312!8i6656

Barn-1 on Flickr
11-18-2015, 02:31 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"I would love to know how you did this", re: entry #3

Unfortunately this was more luck than anything. I just used replace color, selecting some of the greens. I was quite surprised how much it actually looked like snow on the trees. It must just be how the color gradients are in the image. I have unsuccessfully tried to do the same thing on other images. Using replace color twice with different fuzziness and opacity settings helps some, but I have not been able to get similar results on other images.

---------- Post added 11-18-15 at 04:33 AM ----------

So do most of us agree, one (judgeable) entry?
11-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeatKnight Quote
So do most of us agree, one (judgeable) entry?
I would say that's probably the best idea. If you want to nominate one of yours to be the judgeable one that would be great!

11-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it just might be Pennsylvania or Maryland.
11-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
I think it just might be Pennsylvania or Maryland.
Nope, it was Vermont! See this post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/30...ml#post3433085
11-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I always mix up Vermont with Montana
11-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Come on everyone, the challenge ends tomorrow, so if you want a chance to win, you'd better get your submission in!
11-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LarsW Quote
I agree, and judging is hard enough with one entry per participant.

I played around a little more with this nice image, and this version replaces my earlier two:
Hey great work!
11-20-2015, 04:38 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
No more pics to add, but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents regarding the idea of limiting entries, since that seems to be a pretty active sidebar here.

I always thought a good approach might be to allow one black and white and one color submission per entrant. The host could choose an overall winner as well as a favorite from the other category, and it would allow the contestants to do a couple versions without overwhelming the contest with excess entries.
I'd say three max. That gives you license to make a standard edit a b&w and a more creative one. It is not like you have to post a version for every filter you can find. Of course one is enough and it is up to the judge to decide whether he or she will elaborate on an entry or not.
11-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I say as many as you like. You never know what is in the photographer's eye. He may want the closest to what he visualized, he may like a black and white, he may like a sepia, he may like a radical interpretation. YOU NEVER KNOW. Enter as many as you want to cover whatever is in the photographer's mind.
11-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #45

Obviously we need to clarify rules of entry.

I also take Rimfiredude's point about the merits of no limits.

But if it's a contest, multiple entries offered from one will have an eyeball advantage over someone that has just opted for one -- presumably their best effort.

In practice, we only offer our best post processed effort (be it B & W or color) when asked for a pic for Flickr/500px or Facebook.

So it's worth modelling the rules on one per contestant. That way we get to see variety without needless scrolling through multiple ones. It's also too easy to generate variations in Lightroom/Topaz/Nik anyway.

One alternative is we consider dropping the contest status and turn it into a monthly thread of contributions, without worrying about the kudos of which is the "best" one.

I learn a lot from all the entries submitted, by the way.