Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2015, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Free Lens Photography - Share your free lens shots

For those of you who do not know, free-lensing is using a lens with it's mouont removed to take pictures. You hold the lens freely above the camera's lens mount, and can tilt it, shift it, and move it in-and-out for different effects. It is essentially a poor man's tilt shift lens, but with added effects like lens flare and ghosting (if desired). A more in-depth explanation is available in the link below...

Freelensing: Make a DIY "Poor Man's Tilt-Shift" by Breaking a Cheap Prime Lens

I've been doing free lens photography for the last two years with a dismantled Pentax SMC M 50mm F2. I recently upgraded my free lens lens to a M 50mm F1.4. Here are some of my images...

Last edited by geomez; 11-19-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Fixed the link
11-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty neat, I did this inadvertently a couple years ago when I got a Tak 200/5.6 but didn't have an m42 adapter handy. I simply held the lens to the mount and took a couple snaps... the center was sharp, but one side was blurry. Your pics have convinced me this is a worthwhile experimentation.
11-19-2015, 04:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's something I'd like to try. I was also going to make my own tilt-shift lens with some bicycle inner tube but never got around to sourcing a donor lens. Maybe some projects for the new year
11-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
It's something I'd like to try. I was also going to make my own tilt-shift lens with some bicycle inner tube but never got around to sourcing a donor lens. Maybe some projects for the new year

I was considering taking one of my free-lensing lenses to do the same, but I realized that just holding offers more flexibility. Just holding it you can wrap your thumb and index finger around the base of the lens, between the lens and the camera to prevent light leak. If you want light leak for a stylistic option, you have it. The same can't be said if you actually make it a DIY tilt/shift with the tubing.

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 04:42 PM ----------

Here's one utilizing the light leak...

The following is without light leak. For this one I held the lens straight to try to prevent the tilt/shift effect...

Last edited by geomez; 11-19-2015 at 04:41 PM.
11-21-2015, 02:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm more concerned about dust than light leaks
11-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
I'm more concerned about dust than light leaks
That's certainly a valid concern. This is purely anecdotal, but I use this technique every once and a while with my K-01 which I use every couple months. There is no visible dust on my sensor.
I've only used the technique twice with my K-3. I use my K-3 weekly. The sensor is filled with dust (until I bought an Eyelead gel stick).
I cannot use this technique with my Ricoh GR because it is a point-and-shoot. I use the camera about once a month and keep it in a sealed bag whenever not in use. I've sent it in 4 times to get the dust cleaned off it's sensor, and it currently has dust on it's sensor.
In short, I have cameras that are dust magnets, and cameras that haven't gotten dusty even after free-lensing.
This technique aside, I do everything in my power to keep dust off of my gear. Using gear will lead to dust, changing lenses will allow dust ingress, as will this technique. But these are the things we do to get the shots.
Also the Eyelead gel stick is amazing and easy to use.

I'm not trying to convince you to do it my way, just sharing my experience.
11-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well I build a lens using a donor SMC Pentax-M 28MM F2.8 and it was not without issue. The main problem is the rear element has to sit inside the body to get anything in focus (I worked out by free-lensing!) which meant stripping the lens down to pretty much nothing. So whilst it does technically work the amount of movement I get before throwing absolutely everything out of focus is next to nothing which kind of defeats the whole point.

12-02-2015, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

01-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #9
Forum Member

#geomez
I didn't think it is possible to make photos with this kind of technique. It's sounds and looks amazing. I like the first of your photo with grass - the first place winner.
01-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HanSolo Quote
#geomez
I didn't think it is possible to make photos with this kind of technique. It's sounds and looks amazing. I like the first of your photo with grass - the first place winner.

Thanks Han! You should give it a try yourself.