Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2016, 10:28 AM - 2 Likes   #331
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many thanks for all your likes of my Takumar 55/1.8s review, much appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Light-weight!!
Talk about show and tell! That's a fabulous collection, put together so fast and so well. Some gaps, of course, but you know that. For Mrs Utak and estate purposes, my spreadsheet has the purchase price for each of my lenses (excluding postage, that's a trifle), and estimated current market value. Showing a healthy overall increase in value I'm happy to report, and nothing to do with the fact that I'm also responsible for mark-to-market! Only one lens is standing at a big loss (about $50) and that's a Super Takumar 35/3.5. Ironically one of the first ebay lenses I ever purchased and I paid far too much for a "mint, collector's condition" version. I don't collect "collectors" lenses any more, I just collect lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
I really enjoyed using the DA 10-17mm this month
You had a stellar month, and took so many great photos for us to look at.

01-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #332
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

my month with the DA 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR, also known as 'Bella'....

Firstly - Pentax, you have to do something about all the acronyms in this lens' name... it's just ridiculous....

After that being said, this is a very versatile lens.... it has a permanent spot in my bag and is probably mostly likely to be used as a walkabout lens... Typical Pentax color-rendition, which is to say a bit warmer than what you find with Sigma or Tamron lenses, which is a good thing.

It does not like low-light situations; if you can't bring up the ISO to help it, the AF will do a fair amount of hunting before either finding your spot or just giving up.. fortunately, it is a quick-shift lens, so you can always take control away from the AF system and do it yourself...

This is my first 'modern' DA zoom lens, in that the focus ring is between the zoom ring and the camera body; that took some getting used to; plus, with the quick-shift, the focus ring has almost no tactile response whatsoever and will spin all the way around the barrel.

I switched about halfway through the month from my K-50 to a new K-3 and did start seeing better resolution and overall better shots.

About the only truly negative feedback I can give is the low-light performance; but that isn't why you buy this lens to begin with...
01-02-2016, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #333
Pentaxian

Hi guys,

Sorry, My actions at here are little late, due our new years eves actions and traveling back home with our cat, which is nice.

anyway, hare we go. I have done couple times a month with DA*55 which is one of my most favorite lenses. I can't wait to blug it on that becoming FF camera. Some times I wish that it was little wider. Bad is high PF in high contrast scenes, but that goes to many fast lenses. I do really enjoy how this lens renders colors. I have my own kind a taste when taking pictures, and this fits that bill easily. I actually almost prefer this lens over 77, but that might change...I have to give 77 more time.

There is not much to really criticize, except slow focus, and the facet that my version has been squeekin almost from beginning of it's purchase. But SDM has survived. Other than that. I really like this little gem and recommend it highly.

couple of shots with this lens.

01-02-2016, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #334
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Honestly, with most hobbies, I do not wish to possess more things, I wish to have more time to enjoy and fully learn to use the things I already possess.
So well put Rob. Like you that is one of the things I like about this challenge, because it gets me out with what I have.

01-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #335
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
So well put Rob. Like you that is one of the things I like about this challenge, because it gets me out with what I have.
Drats! Yet another voice of reason. :-/
01-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #336
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I honestly have curiosity and interest in lenses but ultimately I mainly want a good set not a collection. Does this mean I have LBA or is it something else?
Should have made sure to indicate how kidding I was... I actually think the same way you do and try to make sure I am going to use what I buy (especially if it's not cheap). I also have the key anti-LBA agent which is very rare access to spendable income... My biggest problem is that I don't like to get rid of lenses, and haven't sold a single one yet in coming up on 8 years of my first lens purchase!

I 'only' have 24 lenses and 14 of those were either picked up for free or for next to nothing...
01-02-2016, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #337
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grabbed a DFA 100 WR yesterday. My F 100 macro goes to live with my dad now.
01-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #338
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Hi guys,

Sorry, My actions at here are little late, due our new years eves actions and traveling back home with our cat, which is nice.

anyway, hare we go. I have done couple times a month with DA*55 which is one of my most favorite lenses. I can't wait to blug it on that becoming FF camera. Some times I wish that it was little wider. Bad is high PF in high contrast scenes, but that goes to many fast lenses. I do really enjoy how this lens renders colors. I have my own kind a taste when taking pictures, and this fits that bill easily. I actually almost prefer this lens over 77, but that might change...I have to give 77 more time.

There is not much to really criticize, except slow focus, and the facet that my version has been squeekin almost from beginning of it's purchase. But SDM has survived. Other than that. I really like this little gem and recommend it highly.

couple of shots with this lens.

OMG that last one! I missed it at the time. Wow what an amazing photograph.

01-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Grabbed a DFA 100 WR yesterday. My F 100 macro goes to live with my dad now.

I went back and forth between that one and the Tamron 90. Ultimately 2 things pushed me toward the Tamron. (1) the $200 less on the price tag and (2) a functioning aperture ring which makes it feasible to use with my Vivitar extension tubes. I wish I had WR but realistically I will rarely be in a situation where that will make a significant difference.
01-03-2016, 01:52 AM   #340
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
OMG that last one! I missed it at the time. Wow what an amazing photograph.
Thanks Tsuken. It was a great moment too...I was lucky and happy to be there.

---------- Post added 01-03-16 at 10:56 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I went back and forth between that one and the Tamron 90. Ultimately 2 things pushed me toward the Tamron. (1) the $200 less on the price tag and (2) a functioning aperture ring which makes it feasible to use with my Vivitar extension tubes. I wish I had WR but realistically I will rarely be in a situation where that will make a significant difference.
I don't mean to say no or yes, but that WR thing is making me to think twice of selling my elicar 90/2,4 macro and getting pentax 100/2,8 WR. It is moist and light rain a lot in Finland at summer...and some snow at winter if I want to shoot some nice ice or so. Sniw usually gets wet at some time going around.
01-04-2016, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #341
Pentaxian

Arrived back yesterday from my SE Asia Cruise...... used the DA10-17 regularly on the trip.... but wifi on the ship was $500 for text only speed.... so no regular postings from me....anyway.... will probably shoot local with this lens for an upcoming month ..... and save observations until then. For travelling, like most things, I enjoyed the lens..... however would I take it instead of a DA 15 and 21 is the question. For APSC..... probably not..... but when FF comes then I probably would.... mostly because my 31 then becomes a 21 so the 10-17 would fill a role.

Anyway, here is how you take a fisheye shot with a K50/1.2

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-04-2016 at 11:04 PM.
01-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool shot!

December wrap up - late but still done. This month was a hard one for me as it was the 12 consecutive month SIC and the 12 month of my Q-system 365 project. I missed a number of days and barely made it to the end of the year. A big thanks to Tsuken for providing me the inspiration to do the karate images this month. Might have thrown in the towel without those. Anyway, here are my reviews.

I shot this month with the Pentax F28 f2.8. This lens was unknown to me before middle of last year when I picked one up for fun. I had had several other manual focus 28mm lenses and never quite found the love of the 28mm focal length. Thought I'd give one AF 28mm lens a whirl. The results were - quite happily - wonderful. This venerable lens is light, quick to focus, provides nice colors, and otherwise an excellent addition to my gear bag. I can't honestly say that I gave it an exhaustive workout but in that gap between 24mm and 35mm that I have in my gear, this lens fills that slot. Someday I may try to get the FA31 but this F28 does what I need for now very nicely. Only because I wanted to give my old K20d some love, I shot most of the month with the K20 except for a couple of days with the K3 (must say that the F28 does VERY nicely on the K3). Anyway, I have to say that this lens is just a nice lens to have. That's really about it. No negatives.

I also shot this month with the Q7 attached to a C-mount CCTV lens (with a C-mount to Q-mount adapter) with a 25mm focal length and a f1.4 variable aperture lens. Having shot the previous few months with other fixed aperture C-mount lenses, I was prepared to be disappointed with the performance of yet one more C-mount lens. Basically, they seem to be better suited for subjects not too close and not too far away. The fixed aperture made the others typically soft focus (or just plain missed), I was hoping that this lens would be different and indeed it was. I will note that I do not know the manufacture of this lens as there was no such printing on the lens or box that it came in from Japan. It still suffers a bit from soft focus but generally when I could stop down to like f8 or so (that's just a guess because there are no markings either), most things are in focus. With the Q7's 4.7 crop factor this is essentially a 118mm lens. In doing my karate images, I found this to be too long for my needs but worked it by trying for detail. If I had to rate this lens, I'd give it a 7 or so on a 10 point system while the others I shot early this year would be in the 4 or 5 range. As it was a silver lens, it looked quite good on my silver bodied Q7 (I'm sure that made my images better). Regardless, it was nice to finally find one C-mount lens (at a cost of some $25USD) that actually worked a bit. Thinking back on my entire year with the Q-system (Q7 and Q) I have to say that Q-system lenses with AF are great, all other MF lenses (Q-system included), tend to be much harder to use and are very hard to get sharp images with. I'm sure there are folks out there who have done better but, I can't tell you how hard I've worked to overcome the MF sharpness issues I've had all year.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who took time to view my images this month and year. Your suggestions have helped me. I'm taking a break from SIC in 2016 but will check in when I can and who knows, BCB may return in a bit but not until the creative juices are flowing freely again. Thanks.