Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2015, 07:58 PM - 14 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing shots in this thread so far! Big thumbs up to every one!

As for myself, I didn't try to pick the best, rather I went for my favorite shots of 2015, which allows me to combine the technicals of a shot with the fun I had in a particular encounter. I also tried to keep a reasonable diversity of subjects in the set. It was tough to narrow it down to 10, so I guess that means it was a pretty decent year for me, photography-wise.

Unsurprisingly (for me), six out of the ten are greater than lifesize macros. The photos appear in the chronological order that they were shot in. For EXIF & lens info, follow the link to Flickr - it's all there.

12-24-2015, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There have been threads the last couple of years (I started it last year, DaneDawg the year before) inviting forum members to post their best ten shots of the preceding year. Obviously ten is a fairly arbitrary number that lies vaguely between nine and eleven. It is hard to whittle it down to ten, but it would be a lot harder to just choose one photo. At the same time, hopefully ten isn't too daunting a number for folks to wade through as they look at this thread.

Obviously the year isn't over, so if you want to save a slot or two, just in case, that is probably fine. But gloomy days are here in Indiana and I sort of doubt that I'll take any "top ten photos" over the next week and half.

Most of my photos will be landscapes, as that is what I shoot, but I hope everyone feels free to post whatever genre of photo they enjoy shooting.

Hindostan Dawn is a shot taken with the DA *16-50 on the White River in January.

Dock at Patoka Lake taken in May with DA 15.

Waterfall was taken in June with DA *16-50 on a trip to Tennessee.

Horses at Dawn taken in June with the DA 15 limited.

Silver Linings was taken in September with the DA 15 limited.

Road at Dawn taken in September with the FA 31 limited.

The Open Gate taken in September with the FA 31 limited.

Fishing taken in August with the DA 40 limited.

Harvest time taken with the DA *55 in October.

Patoka Lake taken in October with the DFA 24-70.

I think those are the ten. It is tough to choose and I waffled around a lot. I did create a Flickr album with these and some other photos that didn't quite make the cut: https://www.flickr.com/photos/85914716@N03/albums/72157661918632950. Anyway, enough about me. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos the rest of you have from this last year. I know it was a good one (although next year is bound to be better)!
I can see this thread will be an aspirational resource I'll bookmark and come back to time and again.
12-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Great images everyone!
12-25-2015, 03:24 PM - 10 Likes   #34
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

wow... only ten?

this is my first year with a DSLR (K-50) and I have learned so much about photography.... and about post-processing....

there were so many shots I could have put here - I know there were another dozen I could have listed, easily....

now, going forward, I know I have so much more to learn and explore... my wife gave me a new K-3 for Christmas, so I've got my work cut out for me....

12-25-2015, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
wow... only ten?

this is my first year with a DSLR (K-50) and I have learned so much about photography.... and about post-processing....

there were so many shots I could have put here - I know there were another dozen I could have listed, easily....

now, going forward, I know I have so much more to learn and explore... my wife gave me a new K-3 for Christmas, so I've got my work cut out for me....
That is a really good wife… keep that one.
12-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #36
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That is a really good wife… keep that one.

you can count on it - she even stitched together a flannel cover for my camera strap....
12-25-2015, 05:01 PM - 7 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sneaking in an 11th photo taken after I posted my 10. I like this enough it would have easily bumped one of the others out of contention for me.

I saw the play between the orange sodiums and the blue LEDs (I think they're LED) in the fog and I couldn't resist playing.

12-25-2015, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you can count on it - she even stitched together a flannel cover for my camera strap....
What a good wife you have there!

Sagitta- Keep playing!
12-28-2015, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Amazing shots in this thread so far! Big thumbs up to every one!

As for myself, I didn't try to pick the best, rather I went for my favorite shots of 2015, which allows me to combine the technicals of a shot with the fun I had in a particular encounter. I also tried to keep a reasonable diversity of subjects in the set. It was tough to narrow it down to 10, so I guess that means it was a pretty decent year for me, photography-wise.

Unsurprisingly (for me), six out of the ten are greater than lifesize macros. The photos appear in the chronological order that they were shot in. For EXIF & lens info, follow the link to Flickr - it's all there.

Some amazing work. Your macros have definitely had me in awe through the year. I really like the frog shot, in particular.

wow... only ten?

Some great shots there with a lot of variety. I am sure the k3 is going to get lots of good use. Have fun with it!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Sneaking in an 11th photo taken after I posted my 10. I like this enough it would have easily bumped one of the others out of contention for me.

I saw the play between the orange sodiums and the blue LEDs (I think they're LED) in the fog and I couldn't resist playing.

Very nice shot. Love the light and mist.

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 06:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I'm not sure these are up the standard for a "Top Ten" list, but here are my highlights from 2015.

- Craig

Self-portrait in Munich

Bicycle in profile (also in Munich)

Black-eyed Susan in the field (taken with smc 30mm 2.8)

The start of the glorious fall colours. Our fall/autumn weather lingered on through November and December this year.

Late-afternoon light on a small marsh near my home.

The smc Takumar 50/1.4 is one of my favourite oldies. Its designer was brilliant, I think.

Old technology, new technology? London, UK.

Also in London, Covent Garden. I think the architecture and antennas make for an interesting picture.

(Posted previously) An approaching storm on Britannia Bay, Ottawa River.

And, finally, number ten. I managed to get out with my camera quite often in the Winter of 2014-15, despite an unusually cold season. Looking forward to our first snowfall this season - hopefully we will not have a 'green' New Years Day!

You have some great shots there. I don't think the point of the list is necessarily to have the most amazing shots of all time, but just to pick out your favorites from the last year.

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
In no particular order.

I am in awe. I haven't seen any of these shots before (I guess I don't go on the 300mm or longer lens club enough), but these are very high quality. Well done!
01-02-2016, 12:17 PM - 9 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A great collection of shots in this thread, WOW!!!

Here is my attempt to contribute ... have a great 2016 everyone!

01-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #41

Whoops
01-02-2016, 04:24 PM - 9 Likes   #42
Veteran Member

A January sunrise

Remembering a national hero...

Spring flowers....

Bluebell Woods

Morris Man

Night Departure

Indoor Rainbow

Steam on Shed

Dead Leaf

Evening Standard
01-03-2016, 03:38 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
A great collection of shots in this thread, WOW!!!

Here is my attempt to contribute ... have a great 2016 everyone!

Some great shots there! Even got some action photography. Who knew you could do that with a Pentax camera?

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
A January sunrise

Remembering a national hero...

Spring flowers....

Bluebell Woods

Morris Man

Night Departure

Indoor Rainbow

Steam on Shed

Dead Leaf

Evening Standard
Love the train shots, in particular, Stephen. Thank you for posting.
01-03-2016, 05:31 AM - 8 Likes   #44
Veteran Member

Impressive collection already!

Here are 10 I like a lot - the best? I don't know.
In chronological order.

Michael
01-03-2016, 06:45 PM - 8 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are some astonishingly good photos in this thread. I always enjoy looking at everyone's annual selections. For myself, most of my "for fun" photography was done in spring, fall, and winter. Can't say there's anything "best" about them, but they're the ones I like most from this year's work. Here they are in the order they were shot:

Sub-Zero Morning Along the River [DA 18-55 at 55mm, f8, 1/180s]

New Life Cut Short by Rainstorm [SMC Pentax M-50/1.7, f/8, 1/125s]

Getting Cirrus [Sigma 10-20mm/ at 10mm f/8]

Storm in the Offing [DA-18-50 at 18mm, f8, 1/1000s]

Golden Maple Sunstar [DA 18-50 at 18mm, f/22, 1/45s]

Leaves in Backwater [M-50/1.7, f8, 1/60s]

Osprey Tree [M-50/1.7, f8, 1/20s]

Reflecting on Wavy Ledge Drop [SMC M-28/2.8 f8 1/45s]

Peak Color [M-28, f/8, 1/125s] (Not sure about this one. First attempt trying out Lightroom. Not an HDR but it looks like it is.)

Snowstorm [DA 55-300 at 55mm, f/16, 1/20s]

Last edited by Tamia; 01-04-2016 at 12:21 PM.