Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2015, 03:46 PM - 19 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Best Ten Photos of 2015!

There have been threads the last couple of years (I started it last year, DaneDawg the year before) inviting forum members to post their best ten shots of the preceding year. Obviously ten is a fairly arbitrary number that lies vaguely between nine and eleven. It is hard to whittle it down to ten, but it would be a lot harder to just choose one photo. At the same time, hopefully ten isn't too daunting a number for folks to wade through as they look at this thread.

Obviously the year isn't over, so if you want to save a slot or two, just in case, that is probably fine. But gloomy days are here in Indiana and I sort of doubt that I'll take any "top ten photos" over the next week and half.

Most of my photos will be landscapes, as that is what I shoot, but I hope everyone feels free to post whatever genre of photo they enjoy shooting.

Hindostan Dawn is a shot taken with the DA *16-50 on the White River in January.

Dock at Patoka Lake taken in May with DA 15.

Waterfall was taken in June with DA *16-50 on a trip to Tennessee.

Horses at Dawn taken in June with the DA 15 limited.

Silver Linings was taken in September with the DA 15 limited.

Road at Dawn taken in September with the FA 31 limited.

The Open Gate taken in September with the FA 31 limited.

Fishing taken in August with the DA 40 limited.

Harvest time taken with the DA *55 in October.

Patoka Lake taken in October with the DFA 24-70.

I think those are the ten. It is tough to choose and I waffled around a lot. I did create a Flickr album with these and some other photos that didn't quite make the cut: https://www.flickr.com/photos/85914716@N03/albums/72157661918632950. Anyway, enough about me. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos the rest of you have from this last year. I know it was a good one (although next year is bound to be better)!

12-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think ten is probably too many if many people participate. How about 3 or 5?
12-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I think ten is probably too many if many people participate. How about 3 or 5?
Sure. Whatever people feel comfortable with.
12-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
. . .Most of my photos will be landscapes . . .

Wow. 10 beautiful shots, Rondec!
They're all lovely, but I really enjoyed "Road at Dawn".

12-20-2015, 05:36 PM - 14 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great idea Vincent, and amazing landscapes. Southern Indiana looks surreal through your eyes.

Some favorite photos from 2015, taken with either DA15mm Limited or Sigma 35mm f1.4... I don't have other lenses.

Stay here for a while, Pötzleinsdorfer Schlosspark in Vienna, February

Sunset, Gaaden (Austria), February

Sunset in Circus Park, Bucharest, April

Passing By, Herastrau Park, April

Mountains at Sunset, Bucegi Mountains, April

Rose, Botanical Garden, May

White Flower, Botanical Garden, May

Yellow Flower, Circus Park, May

Sunset and Clouds, Ascutit Peak, May

Sunrise, Vama Veche, August

Broke a leg and pretty much missed the Autumn and the end of the year, but oh well

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody !!
12-20-2015, 06:56 PM - 14 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

In no particular order....

12-20-2015, 07:08 PM - 12 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great idea Rondec, I have been going through my photos trying to put together a "Best Of" list. Wonderful landscapes Rondec and Hattifnatt My photos will be more varied than others. 2015 was the year I got back into photography after a long lapse.
I will start the year off with a winter shot from February with my still new K3 and my trusty old Tokina 400mm AF.

March the weather was still cold but the snow had melted. I was shooting birds in the trees and than this Robin flew down and gave me a show.

On a early March night, as I was about to go to bed, sirens started going off everywhere. The firetrucks were coming from all over the city. I threw some clothes on and grabbed my K3 and new DA*16-50. It is time to put the weather sealing to use. This was about three blocks from my house. The building was over 100 years old and a total loss. No one was hurt in the fire.

May brought a new lens to me, my Sigma 50-500 OS HSM. This was from my first walk with it.

July 4th brought a vacation to the north of Michigan where I had not been in years. I took a day trip to the Mackinac Bridge which I use to cross back and forth to college. Taken with the K3 and the DA*50-135.

2015 was the year that I reacquainted myself with wildlife photography. Something that I had not done much of since my film days. I also found some wonderful new areas to hike and was rewarded in August with this pair of Sandhill Cranes with the Sigma 50-500.

September brought tons of photos and new opportunities. I went on a trip with a local camera club and met some really nice people. We took a trip to local wildlife sanctuary and this guy was really hamming it up. Taken with my new K50 and DA*16-50. The K50 has really impressed me.

This year brought a big surprise with my DA10-17. It was my first DA lens and least used. Until I started using it for night shots of the city. Taken with my K50 and 10-17. Both this camera and lens have completely surprised me in the quality they can deliver.

I had to wait until November to photograph this waterfall at our local Garden and Sculpture Park. By this time the sun was no longer setting directly behind it. I also discovered a new feature of my K3. The Interval composite mode. This is a composite of 10 photos 1/6s each. The photos were combined in the K3 using the average setting. It amazes me the things this camera can do. Taken with the DA*16-50 one of my most used lenses of the year.

The last few months of the year have many great shots and it is hard to pick ones out. December brought my first limited, the DA 21 SMC, and I had to include a shot from it. This is such a great lens for night shots. Taken on the K3.

The final photo comes from a lens that I have longed for way too long. I picked a used DA*60-250. The sun finally came out a few days ago so I got to try it out. This was taken on the K3 and using my Tamaron 1.4 TC. This is such an awesome lens and it just loves the TC. DA*60-250 with the Tamaron 1.4 TC at 250mm handheld. Now I know why so many people praise this lens.

Looking over my photos I know I had some better photos. Most of those photos came later in the year. I did not want to just list photos from half of the year. I choose to pick from the entire year to have more of a year in review. After such a long lapse in photography it took a few months to get back into it. I am looking forward to next year, new opportunities, and challenges. Hope everyone has a great holiday and happy new year.

12-20-2015, 07:52 PM - 12 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I narrowed it down to 23, with some difficulty. Just as a trial I'm posting them are 1260 by 840 so if you still have a 1080 screen make sure your forum account is set to a max that lets you look at them. I'm thinking by now most people have 1440x 900 screens.

I can't really do a best of because I have so many different types of pictures.

So, best of fall colours.

2 best flowers.

2 best dog pictures. Both of Tia

Two best animals.

Two best flying things.

Oops, that's 10

One more. best overall.

Slideshow of the 23 finalists, click on this link.
12-21-2015, 04:38 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Wow. 10 beautiful shots, Rondec!
They're all lovely, but I really enjoyed "Road at Dawn".
Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Great idea Vincent, and amazing landscapes. Southern Indiana looks surreal through your eyes.

Some favorite photos from 2015, taken with either DA15mm Limited or Sigma 35mm f1.4... I don't have other lenses.

Stay here for a while, Pötzleinsdorfer Schlosspark in Vienna, February

Sunset, Gaaden (Austria), February

Sunset in Circus Park, Bucharest, April

Passing By, Herastrau Park, April

Mountains at Sunset, Bucegi Mountains, April

Rose, Botanical Garden, May

White Flower, Botanical Garden, May

Yellow Flower, Circus Park, May

Sunset and Clouds, Ascutit Peak, May

Sunrise, Vama Veche, August

Broke a leg and pretty much missed the Autumn and the end of the year, but oh well

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody !!
Some great work there. I really liked the mountains at sunset and then the last two photos are pretty special too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
In no particular order....

Some beautiful colors there. I really liked the Balloon Festival photo -- and the Railroad Photo as well. Run with me has a timeless quality that just exudes the joy of childhood.

---------- Post added 12-21-15 at 06:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Great idea Rondec, I have been going through my photos trying to put together a "Best Of" list. Wonderful landscapes Rondec and Hattifnatt My photos will be more varied than others. 2015 was the year I got back into photography after a long lapse.
I will start the year off with a winter shot from February with my still new K3 and my trusty old Tokina 400mm AF.

March the weather was still cold but the snow had melted. I was shooting birds in the trees and than this Robin flew down and gave me a show.

On a early March night, as I was about to go to bed, sirens started going off everywhere. The firetrucks were coming from all over the city. I threw some clothes on and grabbed my K3 and new DA*16-50. It is time to put the weather sealing to use. This was about three blocks from my house. The building was over 100 years old and a total loss. No one was hurt in the fire.

May brought a new lens to me, my Sigma 50-500 OS HSM. This was from my first walk with it.

July 4th brought a vacation to the north of Michigan where I had not been in years. I took a day trip to the Mackinac Bridge which I use to cross back and forth to college. Taken with the K3 and the DA*50-135.

2015 was the year that I reacquainted myself with wildlife photography. Something that I had not done much of since my film days. I also found some wonderful new areas to hike and was rewarded in August with this pair of Sandhill Cranes with the Sigma 50-500.

September brought tons of photos and new opportunities. I went on a trip with a local camera club and met some really nice people. We took a trip to local wildlife sanctuary and this guy was really hamming it up. Taken with my new K50 and DA*16-50. The K50 has really impressed me.

This year brought a big surprise with my DA10-17. It was my first DA lens and least used. Until I started using it for night shots of the city. Taken with my K50 and 10-17. Both this camera and lens have completely surprised me in the quality they can deliver.

I had to wait until November to photograph this waterfall at our local Garden and Sculpture Park. By this time the sun was no longer setting directly behind it. I also discovered a new feature of my K3. The Interval composite mode. This is a composite of 10 photos 1/6s each. The photos were combined in the K3 using the average setting. It amazes me the things this camera can do. Taken with the DA*16-50 one of my most used lenses of the year.

The last few months of the year have many great shots and it is hard to pick ones out. December brought my first limited, the DA 21 SMC, and I had to include a shot from it. This is such a great lens for night shots. Taken on the K3.

The final photo comes from a lens that I have longed for way too long. I picked a used DA*60-250. The sun finally came out a few days ago so I got to try it out. This was taken on the K3 and using my Tamaron 1.4 TC. This is such an awesome lens and it just loves the TC. DA*60-250 with the Tamaron 1.4 TC at 250mm handheld. Now I know why so many people praise this lens.

Looking over my photos I know I had some better photos. Most of those photos came later in the year. I did not want to just list photos from half of the year. I choose to pick from the entire year to have more of a year in review. After such a long lapse in photography it took a few months to get back into it. I am looking forward to next year, new opportunities, and challenges. Hope everyone has a great holiday and happy new year.
I think the fire shot and the night time bridges shots really stand out to me, but they are all great.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I narrowed it down to 23, with some difficulty. Just as a trial I'm posting them are 1260 by 840 so if you still have a 1080 screen make sure your forum account is set to a max that lets you look at them. I'm thinking by now most people have 1440x 900 screens.

I can't really do a best of because I have so many different types of pictures.

So, best of fall colours.

2 best flowers.

2 best dog pictures. Both of Tia

Two best animals.

Two best flying things.

Oops, that's 10

One more. best overall.

Slideshow of the 23 finalists, click on this link.
Some great shots, Norm! You all have a little more wildlife up there than we have around here. About the only thing I see that's photogenic around here from a wildlife standpoint are the deer. Well, and squirrels, if you're Rupert. The bear and the marten shot do stand out as does the last photo.

I didn't say in my initial post, but Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone out there.
12-21-2015, 06:09 AM - 10 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

I've limited myself to 5 with the following link to the rest I am happy with for the year (so far)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14468090@N00/albums/72157657587296344

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zQ2ea1][/url

Last edited by timb64; 12-21-2015 at 06:15 AM.
12-21-2015, 07:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
You all have a little more wildlife up there than we have around here.
I look at those pictures of your kids and I think, there may not be wildlife, but I bet it gets pretty wild.

Merry Christmas and all.
12-21-2015, 11:13 AM - 14 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome images here so far. Like Norm, I've narrowed it down to about 25. Here are the 10 I like best. Most from the Single In Challenge.

12-21-2015, 08:00 PM - 13 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't feel like it was the greatest year for myself, a lot of average stuff. A couple of good ones, usually what I like does not turn out to be the ones others like. These are probably my favorite 10 of 2015.

I was very happy to get this barred owl, so I have to include it

I have a lot of photos of cabbage whites, but I like the curled leaf theat the butterfly is sitting on

A candid photo of my daughter and her now fiance

I actually went out to get a sunset, but this was not what I was looking for, it was much better

I look for full moon rises every month, this was one of the few that was not overcast this year

Our cat Fester is a great model

Laying belly down on the beach with a DA 15 Limited gets you a descent perspective

I thought this singer put on a good show of expressions along with a good voice.

I like the range of colors in this landscape

Thos cooper's hawk was too busy celebrating over his meal of house sparrow to care about me.
12-22-2015, 12:50 AM - 10 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

I guess I progressed as a photographer as I consider pretty much all I did this year as 'so-so'.
List of my favorites, In chronological order:

1. Athens, Greece

2. Limassol, Cyprus

3. Limassol, Cyprus

4. Krakow, Poland

5. Istanbul, Turkey

6. Istanbul, Turkey

7. Kourion, Cyprus

8. Limassol, Cyprus

9. Limassol, Cyprus

10. Limassol, Cyprus

Last edited by cxdoo; 01-04-2016 at 12:46 AM. Reason: fixed broken links