Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 186 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2015, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #61

My new K-s1 will be coming in on Monday so I'll be using that for the SIC, along with a 50mm f1.7 I bought off Craigslist. I figured this challenge would be a good way to get me started in photography

12-31-2015, 01:47 PM   #62
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
... Wait. So am I a crazy person or does that not really sound like "Single In"?

I don't mean no sass! and I will readily admit confusion.
no - I'm confused like you... I've always thought that the SIC was for photos you shot each day of the month, as the month moves along, not for shots that were taken prior to that day, or months ago...

or am I mistaken?
12-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a single in Film participant of several months experience, I'll volunteer that a shot made each day, and posted as the roll is developed is true to the ethos of the challenge. When I shoot film (which I am considering for January) I normally shoot 24's because I can kill a roll and then have it developed once per week, resulting in at least 4 weekly posts which contain the necessary days.
12-31-2015, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
no - I'm confused like you... I've always thought that the SIC was for photos you shot each day of the month, as the month moves along, not for shots that were taken prior to that day, or months ago...

or am I mistaken?
OK, yeah. I just... I mean, I sat out December, so I thought maybe I had just COMPLETELY LOST TOUCH with SIC reality. I don't want to tell people that they can't play Single In (and I have no authority to do so if I wanted to), but, @StudentBoots , I don't think that posting a months-old collection of curated shots is what SIC is about... :-/

Please, someone tell me if I'm way off base. :-o

---------- Post added 12-31-15 at 03:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ccarlitos2 Quote
My new K-s1 will be coming in on Monday so I'll be using that for the SIC, along with a 50mm f1.7 I bought off Craigslist. I figured this challenge would be a good way to get me started in photography
It's perfect for just such a thing! Looking forward to some K-S1 images... What make/model is your 50/1.7? :-)

12-31-2015, 02:37 PM   #65

---------- Post added 12-31-15 at 03:08 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

It's perfect for just such a thing! Looking forward to some K-S1 images... What make/model is your 50/1.7? :-)
It's a SMC Pentax-M 6121068. Do the ending numbers mean anything? It also came with a 49mm UV filter I still need to clean it.
12-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
As a single in Film participant of several months experience, I'll volunteer that a shot made each day, and posted as the roll is developed is true to the ethos of the challenge. When I shoot film (which I am considering for January) I normally shoot 24's because I can kill a roll and then have it developed once per week, resulting in at least 4 weekly posts which contain the necessary days.
Excellent! This is my plan, however I just ordered a 100 ft roll of b/w film which isn't due to arrive until Jan 6th or 7th. So, I guess I'll be doing some comparison shots, but which lens? I suppose I still have one day to decide.

OK, yeah. I just... I mean, I sat out December, so I thought maybe I had just COMPLETELY LOST TOUCH with SIC reality. I don't want to tell people that they can't play Single In (and I have no authority to do so if I wanted to), but, @StudentBoots , I don't think that posting a months-old collection of curated shots is what SIC is about... :-/

Surprisingly, I see no one is jumping up to verify your sanity.

Seriously, StudentBoots is totally and completely misinterpreting the purpose of the challenge. I've never before seen anyone try and show up with daily shots from previous months and participate that way, however re-reading the rules, it is possible to make that interpretation. I suppose the rules need to clearly explain that the goal is to shoot new photos, and participation requires the following steps - (a) join the challenge, (b) choose a lens, and (c) shoot one new photo each day for that month and then (d) post them here for ridicule, erm, I mean friendly and uplifting positive comments and finally (e) leaving similar feedback for other participants! :-)
12-31-2015, 03:20 PM - 3 Likes   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The challenge is getting out every day and try to take a new shot every day with one lens for a calender month or that's how I've read it personally. A set of film scans previously taken misses the whole "oh Shit what can I take a picture of today?", we want you to experience the same pain we do , during the month. It's like a group therapy session.

12-31-2015, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still on the fence about Severalsnakes sanity (kidding of course) and about my own choice for SIC. I fell off the wagon toward the end of the month - of course there was a significant interruption with my dad here and with a new camera arriving (Panasonic GX7 with 14-42 PZ). And I suggest the film from the summer should be posted in a thread by itself and we can all go enjoy them and comment as we wish. The challenge of SIC that I have consistently failed at is the daily shooting and the unfolding of the evolution of the lens and photographer. Film is challenging but the best methods seem to be the weekly post method - with the pictures being from that previous week.
12-31-2015, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... Wait. So am I a crazy person or does that not really sound like "Single In"?
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
The challenge is getting out every day and try to take a new shot every day with one lens for a calender month or that's how I've read it personally. A set of film scans previously taken misses the whole "oh Shit what can I take a picture of today?", we want you to experience the same pain we do , during the month. It's like a group therapy session.
Robbiec sums it up nicely; it seems pretty clear to me that the essence of the Singles Challenge is the ongoing daily angst and knowing everyone else is sharing it :-)

I did a film Singles challenge in 2014 - taking at least one picture each day (and not knowing how crappy it was) and using one commercial roll of 24 or 36 per week, posting pictures at the end of each week, but to the correct daily thread. As todd mentioned, it meant that feedback was significantly diminished and a feeling of being a little "out of it". That was my first and last film challenge, but it did satisfy the "rules".

Make things too loose and the SIC will die, and that would be a great shame imo.
12-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccarlitos2 Quote
It's a SMC Pentax-M 6121068. Do the ending numbers mean anything? It also came with a 49mm UV filter I still need to clean it.
Delightful! One of my all-time favorite lenses is a Promaster 50/1.7, but I've never had the pleasure of a Pentax with the same qualities.

(The ending numbers are just a manufacturer's serial number, so they don't really weigh much into the character of the lens.)
12-31-2015, 04:37 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster

You seem perfectly sane and "on-base" to me.

Likewise, I'm not here to tell anyone they can't or shouldn't participate, but I reckon it's the shooting (current shooting) rather than the posting that's the thing. (Otherwise I could make a month from years ago with my Pentax 50mm on my lumix - before I even got my K30 and discovered this group)

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2016 at 10:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Robbiec sums it up nicely; it seems pretty clear to me that the essence of the Singles Challenge is the ongoing daily angst and knowing everyone else is sharing it :-)

I did a film Singles challenge in 2014 - taking at least one picture each day (and not knowing how crappy it was) and using one commercial roll of 24 or 36 per week, posting pictures at the end of each week, but to the correct daily thread. As todd mentioned, it meant that feedback was significantly diminished and a feeling of being a little "out of it". That was my first and last film challenge, but it did satisfy the "rules".

Make things too loose and the SIC will die, and that would be a great shame imo.

ZIGACKLY, and ferpectly right
12-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #72

Delightful! One of my all-time favorite lenses is a Promaster 50/1.7, but I've never had the pleasure of a Pentax with the same qualities.

(The ending numbers are just a manufacturer's serial number, so they don't really weigh much into the character of the lens.)

Ah awesome I'm excited to use it. I'm not sure in what condition the lens is just yet as I haven't been able to test it but we shall see!!
12-31-2015, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
I'm going to try. I need a challenge again!
It will be great to have you back John.

And I will add to the chorus of dissent. Sorry StudentBoots, but bunging up old film shots taken months ago is NOT in the spirit of these challenges.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 12-31-2015 at 06:39 PM.
12-31-2015, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StudentBoots Quote
I will not be using it from the 1st to the 30th, nor have I used it from the 1st to the last day of a month, but I did use it consecutively for a month's worth of days. Those are the photos I will use for this SIC, but they won't be in chronological order.
I don't believe this is in the spirit of the challenge, It's not for a historic display, but supposed to be taken and posted the same day, or for film as soon as developed. Otherwise you don't get the fun of the pressure to make that shot each day, or do the theme days.
12-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Damn, January is in a few hpurs, gotta decide!