Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2015, 05:18 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Daily in January 2016

Welcome everyone to the first "Daily in" January 2016 Challenge!

Aim of the Game: The idea here is to shoot daily and post one picture each day for the month to this group challenge, using any lens you want each day. We want this challenge to be similar to the popular "Single In" Challenge but to be able to use any lens we want each day of the month. You may choose to stick with the same lens the whole month, or go week by week, or change the chosen lens every day, etc. There is no limitation to what camera gear you use for this challenge.

Commenting: Posting our pictures to the daily threads for the month allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on the pictures posted by the other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or if you are a Forum newbie. Your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. We aim to be a friendly group and with regular commenting, we’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: Daily shooting and sharing is great fun. As with the Single In Challenge, you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same lens you’ve chosen for that day. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it can become quite demanding to keep shooting and posting every day (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game won’t help you fight it!

Important Note: This 'Daily Challenge' was started by a few regular members of the 'Single In Challenge' who after participating in many Single In Challenges themselves desired to have the same essential challenge format and culture while being able to switch lenses during the month when desired. That said, if anybody is considering joining the Daily Challenge for a month who hasn't yet tried a month of the Single In Challenge, we encourage you to try at least one Single In Challenge before trying this one... Simply put, spending a whole month with the same lens is a great way to get to know your gear.

Some of us may be participating in both the Daily Challenge and the Single In challenges for the month. When that is the case, it should be a different image posted to each challenge for the day.

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Daily Challenge (By Month)”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, etc. (Flickr is the most commonly used host.) You actually post a link to your picture into the daily picture thread in the Daily Challenge (By Month) group page.

** If you are going to be linking to a Pentax Forum album, for now you can ask us for advice below, if needed.

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Daily Challenge (By Month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

**If you're a Flickr member, here is the new Flickr group to join and add your posted images to it: Daily Challenges (Pentax Forums)

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow in the 'Daily Challenge (By Month)' group page. By clicking on each picture in the daily thread you should be redirected to the photographer’s image page wherever it's hosted and there you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post your picture each day to the daily thread, please specify the camera/lens combination with your picture eg 'K5 & DA15 Ltd'. This makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using. This is especially important for this Daily Challenge where our chosen lenses for each day may be changing frequently.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Daily In (By Month) Challenge.
This is a separate discussion thread from the picture posting thread referred to above, so you’ll probably want to subscribe to this discussion thread here to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with other Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

This FAQ (made by Zorglub) may be helpful, which was created for and applies to the Single In Challenge. Everything there also applies to this Daily Challenge with the only difference being that we are not binding this challenge to the use of one lens for the whole month.

Here we go! It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss any days, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. Come and try!

Who's in?

(Since this is a new group, let me know if you think we should move the discussion thread to the group section. I'm fine with it either way..)

Last edited by todd; 12-28-2015 at 03:37 PM.
12-27-2015, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent! I'll try to double up this month with both SIC and DIC. Thanks for starting what ought to become a popular and fun new monthly challenge!
12-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Excellent! I'll try to double up this month with both SIC and DIC. Thanks for starting what ought to become a popular and fun new monthly challenge!
And thanks for joining! ramseybuckeye and cg57 are in so far too...

Please (anyone) read through through the intro above for me and feel free to make suggestions for amendments... I'm particularly interested in whether or not people think we should have the (loosely enforced) rules for those participating in both challenges in the same month... (1- don't post the same image in both challenges, and 2 - don't use the SIC lens in the DIC in the same month...)
12-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'll try to give this a go, Been stupidly busy the past few months, but getting back in the habit of daily shooting may do me well.

12-28-2015, 02:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Great idea - I'm in. I enjoy the challenge of taking and posting a photo each day, even a very quick snap, and there are some over-neglected lenses I'd like to rotate in January; lenses I'd never want to use each day for a month. Plus my "new" Helios 44-3. Interested to see if it'll swirl as much as the 44-2. But there needs to be enough strong light here to let it swirl. So when it's overcast/dark I'll be using different lenses.

In terms of rules...not sure we need the "must be a Pentax camera and/or a Pentax lens" rule, and that could help distinguish this group from the Single In. This should be for members of the forum, regardless of the kit they use, and if people want to include pictures with a non-Pentax camera plus a non Pentax lens that's fine by me. (I have no non-Pentax kit, except an iPhone). Two rules that need to be stressed are: (1) only one main picture a day (with small thumbnail links to others if necessary) and (2) please tell us the camera and lens used each day!
12-28-2015, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
In terms of rules...not sure we need the "must be a Pentax camera and/or a Pentax lens" rule, and that could help distinguish this group from the Single In.
.... but it's set within a Pentax forum .....
12-28-2015, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like a lot of fun, I'm in!

12-28-2015, 04:26 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
.... but it's set within a Pentax forum .....

Yes, but the forum has a paying membership who also use non-Pentax gear, and the forum itself has sections for non-Pentax gear.

Plus there are lens clubs (for example the Soviet lens club) where we are free to post photos taken by Soviet lenses on non-Pentax FF cameras. I personally think the forum would be a less interesting place if someone said "no photos on the Soviet lens club if not taken by a Pentax camera". Being inclusive to other brands and their potential is one of the strengths of the forum.
12-28-2015, 05:39 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

OK ... I will give it a shot, so to speak.

A "new" New Year's resolution to add to a long list ...
12-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
not sure we need the "must be a Pentax camera and/or a Pentax lens" rule, and that could help distinguish this group from the Single In.
I am in agreement with this. Only non-Pentax I would ever shoot with is my new LG G4 smartphone which I opted for when I learned it has a full manual shooting mode in it's settings. It works rather nicely (just with the one fixed aperture of the lens... Everything else can be manually adjusted, and it's 16mp, and spits out raw DNG's in the manual mode along with the jpegs...) and I would be more inclined to (seriously) play with it if I could post a daily shot here with it...

If we can get people chiming in we can see if there is enough consensus. If we open it to any gear, then I will change the Flickr group to "Daily Challenge (Pentax Forums)" or maybe, "Daily Challenge (pentaxforums.com)"....

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
. (1- don't post the same image in both challenges, and 2 - don't use the SIC lens in the DIC in the same month...)
Based on some feedback I got privately, I am still thinking 1 - above is a good rule to adhere to while 2 - is either unnecessary or maybe just a personal goal.... I can counter too that being allowed to post from same lens in both challenges could cut down abuses of multiple image postings.... We can tell the multiple image posters (like myself haha) to post them in the other challenge!

Last edited by todd; 12-28-2015 at 10:02 AM.
12-28-2015, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I don't care so much if members are using non-Pentax gear, especially since I heard the rumor that other brands are capable of taking good images.... even Canon!

I strongly disagree with the notion that this forum is inclusive of all other brands. Need proof? Watch this: Sony! Hahaha.

Seriously, any rules format you take is fine with me. I think you've done a great job so far, Todd.
12-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I don't care so much if members are using non-Pentax gear
I think it's enough for now to just make it open to all gear and keep the one rule for those in both challenges in the same month (not using the same image in both), so I've changed it in the original post.
12-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to join in, but I'm having elective surgery first week in Jan. Don't expect to be up and about much until mid-month. If that's OK with everyone I will see you all in mid January.

NaCl(late to the party is better than not at the party at all)H2O
12-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'd love to join in, but I'm having elective surgery first week in Jan. Don't expect to be up and about much until mid-month. If that's OK with everyone I will see you all in mid January.

NaCl(late to the party is better than not at the party at all)H2O
Of course! Hope all goes well and please join us when you can!
12-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm down for this