Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2016, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

PP Challenge 175, Rowing Boats - Derwentwater, Lake District

Thanks again to Nelson for hosting the last challenge, and welcome all to Challenge #175...

I had hoped to take a photo today specifically for this, but other activities and poor weather prevented that... so, I've dug something out of my image library instead

I took this snapshot in October last year, on one of the few remaining good days before the colder weather set in. These rather old-fashioned-looking rowing boats - on Derwentwater in the Lake District - are actually from the Victorian era, and are still maintained and hired out to visitors. Great fun on a warm summer afternoon. Photo taken on my little Panasonic TZ-70 (ZS-50 for you folks in the US).

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's interpretations of this. Good luck!

The challenge will end March 18th.

Challenge 175 - DNG

Challenge 175 - TIFF (8-bit TIFF)

Challenge 175 - JPEG

Information for the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: pentaxchallenge@outlook.com
The password is: postprocessing
Note to host: Copy and paste the above MediaFire information into your challenge to help the next winner

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-10-2016 at 02:56 PM.
03-10-2016, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Last edited by todd; 03-10-2016 at 09:07 PM.
03-10-2016, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #3

My version time
03-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great Shot Mack!

Silky Pix Pro 7. 50% HDR on the slider and a lot of other choices. Cropped out the Ducks and distorted the image vertically to give it a normal ratio. I don't like square pictures. My eye does not see them that way.

The second image is a little Artsie Fartsie.

Just couldn't stop at two entries. On the third one I tried to emphasize the boats and subdue the other parts of the picture.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ70  Photo 

Last edited by Rimfiredude; 03-11-2016 at 01:40 PM.
03-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmm... Weird about not opening in PS... I just downloaded all three files into a fresh directory. The DNG loads into Photoshop Elements 14 via Camera Raw 9.4... TIFF loads straight in, and so does the JPEG. What version of PS / Camera Raw are you using?

All - please let me know if anyone else has problems with any of the files and I will do what I can to address the problem...

Thanks!
03-10-2016, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #6

A little less color, but maybe more life in it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ70  Photo 
03-10-2016, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must say I've never tried processing other people's pics before the round previous to this - it's an interesting process - the 'trouble' with this is that it scrubs up really nicely with just a few standard tweaks, so getting something different without being different for its own sake is the challenge. Anyway, Here's my shot -the first place I got to where I anything near liked what I'd done, anyway

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ70  Photo 
03-10-2016, 04:00 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Forum Member

Im new here but i try to show my version
Attached Images

03-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Artgraf1981 Quote
Im new here but i try to show my version
welcome to the forum and nice entry!

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
the 'trouble' with this is that it scrubs up really nicely with just a few standard tweaks,
I've often used this challenge over the years as opportunity to stretch my boundaries... experiment.. try things I wouldn't normally, try to be creative, etc... It doesn't always work because there needs to be a vision and sometimes the images just don't result in creative ideas...Yours is a very nice entry.

Last edited by todd; 03-10-2016 at 04:30 PM.
03-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
welcome to the forum and nice entry!

I've often used this challenge over the years as opportunity to stretch my boundaries... experiment.. try things I wouldn't normally, try to be creative, etc... It doesn't always work because there needs to be a vision and sometimes the images just don't result in creative ideas...Yours is a very nice entry.
In fact, all the entries so far have earned a "like" from me - not for entering, but because they each offer a nice interpretation of the scene... I'm surprised (but pleasantly so) by some of them!
03-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #11
Forum Member

It was very different for me to tweak someones photo. When im taking my photos im usually know what im gonna do with them later. But here i have to think what was idea of the photo and what can i do to show my seeing of the scene. Great creative exercise.
03-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Artgraf1981 Quote
It was very different for me to tweak someones photo. When im taking my photos im usually know what im gonna do with them later. But here i have to think what was idea of the photo and what can i do to show my seeing of the scene. Great creative exercise.
That's what I enjoy about these challenges too, Artur - it's very different from editing my own photos!! A very useful way to increase post-processing skills and have some fun at the same time
03-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #13

Here is my input.... I didn't like cropping since BigMackCam did such a good job in framing the photo. However I did add something.....

03-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pavel_Zhelev Quote
However I did add something.....
You added some contrast in the clouds, right?

Oh, hang on... the girl!! If that's to scale, she must be about 8 ft tall !!!!
03-10-2016, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #15

Photos: Albums
Went for a tilt-shift effect and a few other small adjustments. This was my first attempt with a tilt-shift simulation and I like the outcome.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ70  Photo