QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The number 77 comes to mind

or 85...

04-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
or 85...
I have a Tamron 90mm Macro so that fills that niche. It was just dumb luck because it wasn't even on the radar at the time I bought it, but it happens to be the full frame compatible version. That should be a fair portrait lens.
04-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Scanned them today, I've posted them to my flickr page. Tbh, I've sort of forgotten which day some are taken on.. :P

QuoteOriginally posted by graeme83 Quote
Looking forward to see the results.

Developed another mini roll today, tried a few challenging lighting conditions and I have become less than convinced in the light meter in my p30n. I took more or less the same shot yesterday with my k-s2 after I finished the film shots and it was metering several stops higher than the film camera at the same ISO, both centre weighted metering, the resulting negative was vastly overexposed, whilst the digital picture came out fine which suggests the k-s2 was indeed right. Further investigation required.
04-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #289
Veteran Member

Man, I ALMOST let yesterday get by without a photo of any kind! WHO AM I?? Put the Theta on the floor in front of the sleeping dogs at 11:57 PM, no joke... We'll see how that one turns out. lol! I've decided to just carry the Theta in my hand when I'm out and about and stop trying to be so pseudo-snobby about avoiding the selfies (and giant hand-blob at the bottom of the image). I already took a few at the post office this morning. :-)

04-16-2016, 04:57 PM - 2 Likes   #290
Veteran Member

thinking of buying a new 28mm lens.... Tamron 28mm f2.5 (Adaptall 2)

any thoughts/experience/opinions?
Just saw this. Have been away from the computer for the last 6 days. Don't worry, still shooting, just not processing. Hoping to process and get back into it today.

I notice you seem to have found a few of my shots already. But here's the link for the full album if you wish: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfie_girl/albums/72157629829612457

As to my opinion... personally, this is one of the first lenses I Singled In and sold off.

If you don't plan to crop down, then the tamron is a good lens. But should you choose to recompose in post processing, you will notice the IQ drops *very* quickly. Having said that, I did shoot this with my k-x, and it was used fairly early in my Singles In career, so perhaps with a few more years experience and lightroom under my belt (I think I processed all of these in either faststone or photoshop), I may not have been as frustrated/disappointed with this lens.

Having said that, it's not a complete lemon, and some of my favourites (that I still love) from this lens include:

And the bokeh isn't half bad either:

It also has a wonderful pentagon bokeh flare which I loved.

If you asked me up front, I'd probably suggest you look into something else, as the the crop down in resolution was just too much for me, and I sold it off the first second I could. Considering the technology these days, perhaps my opinion should also be weighed against whether the higher resolution camera bodies would affect/assist the lens; So I'd be interested to see a higher grade camera might do to it. Sometimes it could be the user and not the equipment...

That's my two cents.

In comparison, here is a link to the Tamron adaptall 28mm/2.8 shot on the k-01:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfie_girl/albums/72157641778518604/with/13239248303/

These are the only two 28mm primes I own.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 04-17-2016 at 12:28 AM.
04-16-2016, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an SMC-A 28mm lens, briefly a sigma mini wide II 28mm and a tokina 28mm m42 thread lens. All were quite sharp stopped down a bit, I'd say none work very well at f2.8. I realize the SMC-A lens is not a very prestigious lens, but I've gotten some great shots with mine, and they're super affordable.

If I were buying new and wanted something fancy... I might get the limited 31 instead?

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Just saw this. Have been away from the computer for the last 6 days. Don't worry, still shooting, just not processing. Hoping to process and get back into it today.

I notice you seem to have found a few of my shots already. But here's the link for the full album if you wish: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfie_girl/albums/72157629829612457

As to my opinion... personally, this is one of the first lenses I Singled In and sold off.

If you don't plan to crop down, then the tamron is a good lens. But should you choose to recompose in post processing, you will notice the IQ drops *very* quickly. Having said that, I did shoot this with my k-x, and it was used fairly early in my Singles In career, so perhaps with a few more years experience and lightroom under my belt (I think I processed all of these in either faststone or photoshop), I may not have been as frustrated/disappointed with this lens.

Having said that, it's not a complete lemon, and some of my favourites (that I still love) from this lens include:

If you asked me up front, I'd probably suggest you look into something else, as the the crop down in resolution was just too much for me, and I sold it off the first second I could. Considering the technology these days, perhaps my opinion should also be weighed against whether the higher resolution camera bodies would affect/assist the lens; So I'd be interested to see what it would be like a higher grade camera would make much of a difference. Sometimes it could be the user and not the equipment...

That's my two cents.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfie_girl/albums/72157641778518604/with/13239248303/

Hope that helps.
04-17-2016, 12:31 AM   #292
Veteran Member

Meanwhile, am thinking more and more about selling off my Q system and replacing it with either a mx-1 or something else. I have the original Q. In fact, I have 2 original Qs, plus the 01, 02, 06 and fisheye.. (03?). I tried using some of them the other day and one of the Q bodies seems to have stopped working - won't even switch on with new batteries. grr...

I bought them second hand, so perhaps there was something inherently wrong with it? I haven't really given either of them much attention.

Am wondering if I should just quit and sell them off for whatever I can get for them and move on. It's not like my second body, the k-50 is getting much love either (and that one seems to have a few software bugs too!) Arggh..

Would appreciate any suggestions/advice you guys could give on the matter.

04-17-2016, 02:53 AM   #293
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

If you asked me up front, I'd probably suggest you look into something else, as the the crop down in resolution was just too much for me, and I sold it off the first second I could. Considering the technology these days, perhaps my opinion should also be weighed against whether the higher resolution camera bodies would affect/assist the lens; So I'd be interested to see a higher grade camera might do to it. Sometimes it could be the user and not the equipment...

That's my two cents.

Hope that helps.

thank you - it does help; so did my perusal of your Flickr page, along with several other PF members....

I've been interested in trying the Adaptalls for a while now, not just the 28mm - but it is also the least-dear of the line, so I did not want to drop a serious-amount-of-money to try one...

now that I have the adapter (P/KA), it will give me the option to later try the more revered lenses of the lineup - primarily the 17mm, 24mm, and 90mm lenses...

so, I'll give it a shot - I'm expecting it to be as good as my Sigma Mini-Wide II, but nothing more...

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I have an SMC-A 28mm lens, briefly a sigma mini wide II 28mm and a tokina 28mm m42 thread lens. All were quite sharp stopped down a bit, I'd say none work very well at f2.8. I realize the SMC-A lens is not a very prestigious lens, but I've gotten some great shots with mine, and they're super affordable.

If I were buying new and wanted something fancy... I might get the limited 31 instead?
I briefly considered a Sigma 30mm (older version, not the current model), but still could not part with that kind of money for a 'normal' focal length lens (not yet, anyways) - so I bought a DA 35 and a DA 40 Ltd together instead...

and I would not deride the SMC A 28mm at all - prestigious or not, it is a quite capable lens that seems to be readily available for reasonable prices and does amazing work..... cripes, why don't I have one???
04-17-2016, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #294
Veteran Member

thank you - it does help; so did my perusal of your Flickr page, along with several other PF members....

I've been interested in trying the Adaptalls for a while now, not just the 28mm - but it is also the least-dear of the line, so I did not want to drop a serious-amount-of-money to try one...

now that I have the adapter (P/KA), it will give me the option to later try the more revered lenses of the lineup - primarily the 17mm, 24mm, and 90mm lenses...

so, I'll give it a shot - I'm expecting it to be as good as my Sigma Mini-Wide II, but nothing more...

I briefly considered a Sigma 30mm (older version, not the current model), but still could not part with that kind of money for a 'normal' focal length lens (not yet, anyways) - so I bought a DA 35 and a DA 40 Ltd together instead...

and I would not deride the SMC A 28mm at all - prestigious or not, it is a quite capable lens that seems to be readily available for reasonable prices and does amazing work..... cripes, why don't I have one???
Lol. You talking yourself into more lba. Lol.

You can buy adaptalls for a song! It's where I started out... some of mine cost $20 incl delivery off ebay. If you were closer I could offer you some of mine - although I don't have the ones you are desperate for. But i have a bad feeling that postage is going to be a killer.
04-17-2016, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #295
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll pass on the 17th. Drove to Melbourne in convoy with my younger daughter, who is moving there to live and work until further notice.

We arrived shortly before the sunset, which looked quite enticing, but too busy moving her stuff into her new digs, then eating and drinking to celebrate.

Expect something Melburban tomorrow, and maybe something from Mt Arapiles on Tuesday.
04-17-2016, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #296
Veteran Member

I've got the TA 35-70 F3.5. Whilst it does have noticeable flaws such as a lack of edge sharpness at 35mm, and poor resistance to ambient light, when used accordingly it does give pleasant images.

So yeah, whilst I wouldn't use it as a walk-around lens, especially on APS-C, nor for shots demanding the highest quality, it can be fun to take out now and again.
04-17-2016, 06:00 AM   #297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'll pass on the 17th. Drove to Melbourne in convoy with my younger daughter, who is moving there to live and work until further notice.

We arrived shortly before the sunset, which looked quite enticing, but too busy moving her stuff into her new digs, then eating and drinking to celebrate.

Expect something Melburban tomorrow, and maybe something from Mt Arapiles on Tuesday.
Best of fortune to her. Melbourne's a nice place to live. She should enjoy it.
04-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #298
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Lol. You talking yourself into more lba. Lol.

You can buy adaptalls for a song! It's where I started out... some of mine cost $20 incl delivery off ebay. If you were closer I could offer you some of mine - although I don't have the ones you are desperate for. But i have a bad feeling that postage is going to be a killer.

talking myself into LBA... that's a laugh....

LBA just descends upon me, like a rash or a plague.....

04-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #299
Veteran Member

I have to say, being on a student's budget helps with LBA.
04-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Meanwhile, am thinking more and more about selling off my Q system and replacing it with either a mx-1 or something else. I have the original Q. In fact, I have 2 original Qs, plus the 01, 02, 06 and fisheye.. (03?). I tried using some of them the other day and one of the Q bodies seems to have stopped working - won't even switch on with new batteries. grr...

I bought them second hand, so perhaps there was something inherently wrong with it? I haven't really given either of them much attention.

Am wondering if I should just quit and sell them off for whatever I can get for them and move on. It's not like my second body, the k-50 is getting much love either (and that one seems to have a few software bugs too!) Arggh..

Would appreciate any suggestions/advice you guys could give on the matter.
Tough call. I hear the new Q body is pretty great, if you already are in the system, maybe get another body?

That said, it's way to easy to have too much gear, maybe just sell off the system and consolidate?