Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2016, 03:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Single in April 2016

Welcome everyone to the Single in April 2016 Challenge

NB for those about to skip this post: theme days at the bottom.

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these wonít be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, itís hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please donít be shy if you donít have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone elseís. Itís a very friendly group and with regular commenting, youíll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: Itís great fun. Youíll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and youíll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one youíve chosen. In the comment banter youíll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (itís a challenge, remember) but youíll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesnít help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The groupís name is ďMonthly Photo ChallengesĒ. Youíll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. Youíll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, youíll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challengeís stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - itís on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, youíll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographerís parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each dayís picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo youíre using.

The thread youíre painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).
This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and youíll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. Itís the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this monthís challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, donít worry. If you have any problems, please ask. Weíre a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here Ö. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/102-monthly-photo-challenges/711-faq.html

Video below was created by patjp

Theme days:

Saturday 2nd April: B&W
Saturday 9th April: Architecture
Saturday 16th April: Texture
THURSDAY 21st April: B/Selfies
Saturday 30th April: Light (a photo where something specifically about the light is the point.)

Last edited by Tsuken; 04-22-2016 at 06:45 PM.
03-25-2016, 03:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it comes in time, I'll be in with the DFA*70-200
03-25-2016, 04:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Am in with a tak 135/3.5. Hello manual focus, old friend...
03-25-2016, 05:07 AM   #4
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in too. Lens of choice, Sears/Samyang 135 f2.8 or the Sears 135mm f2.8 macro zone. It's getting bug season. Will let you know on the first.

Last edited by photolady95; 03-25-2016 at 05:42 AM.
03-25-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Ooh... I might jump back in the game for April. My evenings will be free and the light is getting better again. Would just need to decide on a lens to use.

I haven't singled my Tamron 35-70 F3.5, Pentax-DA 18-55 WR, or Sigma 15mm Fisheye yet, but I've also been eyeing up the Pentax-M 75-150 F4 on eBay. I suspect the kit lens would end up being the choice due to plans later in the month.
03-25-2016, 05:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After to-ing and fro-ing over whether I should use a shorter prime that I can mount on a reversing ring, I have decided to go with the FA 135/2.8. How can I not, when it gets results like this...

...which will be the placeholder and header pic for the Single in April challenge.

I should add that much as I hate to admit it, I'm coming around to the thinking of the no-filter school. At least in good weather and indoors. For the time being, though, my DA 18-135 is keeping one - foul-weather lens, and all that - as is my probably-irreplaceable Rikenon-P 55/1.2
03-25-2016, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I think I'm really gonna try it with the Theta S. Wish me luck.
03-25-2016, 05:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Luck duly wished.

So many 135s this coming month! If my B&W film order arrives in time I might yet drop one in a film body, give the SMC-M 135/3.5 a whirl in parallel and develop/upload at the start of May.

03-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

wow - all the love for 135's this month.... I was debating going to my DA50mm for April, or running a month-long comparison between the two 135's I have....

lemme chew on this for the weekend and get back...
03-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'll be in with my FA 43 Limited. Will be at Denmark then and they have spring now...flowershots!
03-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Tempted to join in with the 135 fun, got the takumar bayonet 2.5, or a random make preset f3.5 with 15(!) aperture blades I picked up on ebay recently.
03-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote

That's a cool challenge :-D

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2016 at 08:03 AM ----------

And takette 135/2.5 for me
03-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

All this takette talk has me feeling the pull toward it... And it has been over three years since I lasted Singled it... And maybe my K-1 will come at some point in April to use them together this month...
03-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graeme83 Quote
Tempted to join in with the 135 fun, got the takumar bayonet 2.5, or a random make preset f3.5 with 15(!) aperture blades I picked up on ebay recently.
15 blades? Show us yer bokeh, baby!
03-25-2016, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a suggestion ..... for May

I note the widespread enthusiasm for 135s during April - this emulates/exceeds the good group vibe experienced with the 500mm mirrors last year. So .... any interest in making May a 50mm month?

This focal length would give pretty well everyone the chance to share the spirit. I'd define 50 as anything between 50 and 59mm inclusive, so this could bring in the Helios 58s, Tak 55s etc, and perhaps even zooms provided the pix were still taken in the 50mm range.

Early days I know, but it might help some people plan for April eg pepperberryfarm who's already agonising over a 135 or 50 choice.

What do you reckon?