Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #46
Forum Member

Step by step from lightroom history - making of.

04-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to Glenn and the runners up.Also many thanks Todd for hosting and the great effort you put into analysing our interpretations of you beautiful picture,I think I feel K3 envy coming on!
04-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Artgraf1981 Quote
Step by step from lightroom history - making of.
wow. I've only ever played around at a very basic level in lightroom (with trial copies) in the past, so this shows me the potential of it as an editor in a way that I haven't seen before... thanks for sharing...
04-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Congratulation glenn5995. I had you picked as the winner also.

As far as processing the evening shot, it was all done in Silkypix as I remember. I just pushed the colors with some added HDR.

BTW this was one of the "MOST FUN" challenges I have participated in. Thank you.

04-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #50
Forum Member

Kudos to Todd

First of all congratulations to all the winners and the participants. Thank you Todd for sharing your views on the photos you shortlisted and feedback to improve on editing them.

Looking forward to more challenges like this which has constructive feedback to get better and to show some neat editing skills, same image viewed through different eyes, an exhibition of talent..
04-11-2016, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Glenn5995 - Points right off the bat to you as the first person the correct the horizon line. Wasn't surprised to love your version. You have a trademark style that is always a treat. Glowing highlights, perfect color balance, lovely enticement of the pastel colors and golden tones in the foreground... At first I questioned the removal of the lines in the right foreground rock, but then you convinced me because there is an overall simplicity to your version that the lines would have drawn too much attention to themselves. Perfect touches to the contrast and detail... Your treatment of the sky is amazing and accurate to the way I remember it that morning. Very tasteful, fitting, and effective crop too. It would be wonderful if you could share a little bit about your editing steps.
Well here we go...

Off to Lightroom where:
1) I applied the lens profile correction (note: the screen shot has the cropped image, this is for the information only)

2) Following adjustments:

3) Next export to Photomatix to process as a HDR. I wanted to keep it mild so that it did not have an "HDR" look to it, but wanted a little more dynamic range so it was not quite as flat.

4) Back to Lightroom for cropping and leveling the horizon (again this screen shot is after the fact for info, so there is additional processing evident)

Todd, I liked your composition, but the prolonged exposure, which gave the water the nice, misty and foggy look also allowed motion blur of the palm fronds. I knew that getting them to look good would be difficult and in all honesty I felt even with alot of effort I would not be happy with them, so I decided to crop the left side to remove the palm tree. That left a lot of sky, which I didn't think added too much. I wanted it to support the subject which was going to be the rocks and the beach. I selected a 16 X 9 aspect ratio crop and applied the rule of thirds and placed the horizon at the upper third and placed the rocks in the left two-thirds. This allowed the rocks to occupy the left two-thirds and the lower two-thirds of the image.

5) The following adjustments (again - you are seeing the final image, I am just showing the settings)

6) Clean it up a little. I believed the white lines on the rock to be bird droppings, but whatever they were, they were distracting. I also cloned some of the disturbances and debris on the sand to give it a smoother and cleaner look.

7) I then used the graduated filter to add some blue to the sky and green to the water, but not to the rest of the image.

8) Used the brush tool to soften the sky.

9) Used the brush tool to desaturate around the rocks to remove green from the water from the graduated filter.

10) Used the brush tool to select the beach and rocks to lighten and sharpen.

11) Export to SMugMug where I used PicMonkey to add the frame. I wanted to add a frame to control the border color and contrast. If viewed on a white background the light colors, on the right side in particular, disappeared into the back ground. With the grey border and shadow, it defined the edges nicely (IMHO).

Right or wrong, that is how I did it. I hope it makes sense.

I must now find an image for the next challenge.
04-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn5995 Quote
I hope it makes sense.
Awesome explanation and more than you needed to do! I think this will be helpful for anybody reviewing it, especially Lightroom users. You have joined Artgraf1981 in making me painfully aware of how much more powerful LR is than I thought it was. I wish I could convince myself to go with Adobe, but I am the rebellious type... Maybe someday.

3) Next export to Photomatix
Question: What format and bit depth is the file you are exporting to photomatix? I am guessing 16 or 32-bit tiff? I hadn't thought of doing some pre-processing before going to photomatix. I want to experiment with this...

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next round...

04-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

16 bit tiff

I usually have better luck with a single image if I do a little sharpening before exporting to Photomatix, but with bracketed photos it seems to work better to sharpen in Photomatix or later in Lightroom. Not always, but usually. I am overwhelmed with Photoshop, so I find Lightroom easier to work with. I will hopefully be more comfortable in Photoshop in the future, but not yet.
04-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
a little sharpening before exporting to Photomatix,
Interesting. I had assumed Photomatix wouldn't be able to do much, or as much with an already processed file, but that's what I get for not trying it!
04-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Challenge #179 is open for business!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/31...onal-park.html
04-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #56
Forum Member

Wow Glenn. Great work. Perfect "how to" open my eyes once more to pay attention to details.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
BTW this was one of the "MOST FUN" challenges I have participated in.
Me too.
04-12-2016, 03:20 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Congrats Glenn and great pic Tod!