Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #1066
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
More Utah
Geeeezzzz, what a awesome photograph. I have to wonder how this formation came about. Looking at the base of the one on the right, it appears as though it was man made almost in the shape of a steamship in the 1800s. Walt, I hope you will not mind if I post some info about these formations.

Most of the formations at Arches are made of soft red sandstone deposited 150 million years ago. Much later, groundwater began to dissolve the underlying salt deposits. The sandstone domes collapsed and weathered into a maze of vertical rock slabs called "fins."Nov 5, 2009.

I would say that 150 million years ago sounds about right. I remember working on these projects about that time. )

Thanks so much for posting such great images.

TT

09-01-2018, 02:37 PM   #1067
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More Utah
Very nice. Not a chrome this time?
09-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #1068
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Very nice. Not a chrome this time?
No. My chromes are primarily pre-turn-of-millenium. Utah was one of two trips on which I took the K1. The AF on my 60~250, being used in crop mode, failed early during the Utah trip. Disgusted with that as the lens had not been much used. Took a long time and considerable $ to get it working again (Precision sent back to Japan!).
09-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #1069
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No. My chromes are primarily pre-turn-of-millenium. Utah was one of two trips on which I took the K1. The AF on my 60~250, being used in crop mode, failed early during the Utah trip. Disgusted with that as the lens had not been much used. Took a long time and considerable $ to get it working again (Precision sent back to Japan!).
Sorry to hear that about the lens. My parents went to Utah last year and they came back telling me we absolutely must visit it. How do you take photos in that place? So much beauty.

09-01-2018, 08:10 PM - 4 Likes   #1070
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Robinson Falls in the Hocking Hills
09-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #1071
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Beautifully captured, Tom!
09-02-2018, 02:25 AM   #1072
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that about the lens. My parents went to Utah last year and they came back telling me we absolutely must visit it. How do you take photos in that place? So much beauty.
To take a nice scenic in southern Utah, stop the car, get out and stand up, snap one image to the N, S, E, and W, and bingo, you've got four nice scenics. It is just beautiful country all across southern Utah. Every park there is a winner, some of them totally breathtaking. Arches had perhaps the largest number of picturesque rock outcrops, even aside from the natural arches.
09-02-2018, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #1073

Alpine valleys

09-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #1074
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To take a nice scenic in southern Utah, stop the car, get out and stand up, snap one image to the N, S, E, and W, and bingo, you've got four nice scenics. It is just beautiful country all across southern Utah. Every park there is a winner, some of them totally breathtaking. Arches had perhaps the largest number of picturesque rock outcrops, even aside from the natural arches.
Does not usually work for me. I feel like I need to spend some time or I feel like I am missing out. I was shooting sunrise at the sandbanks provincial park about a month ago. It was a lot of pressure as the time was short and I can't easily go back there. So I was taking photos while thinking of a story I vaguely remember reading about Ansel Adams. He was asked to take a picture of a boulder of some sort. To the person who asked it seemed like a trivial task, especially for Adams. He was surprised though that Ansel Adams spent several days going to that place looking at shadows and sketching the scene before he decided to take a photo.

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 08:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
That's beautiful. Have you been there in the spring?
09-02-2018, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #1075
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Little stream in Spring (iPhone 5)
09-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #1076
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's beautiful. Have you been there in the spring?
This actually was in the Spring (May), but I just posted this photo now. I hope to go back in the Fall, or even Winter. You have to have a permit to go to this falls, so I guess I should apply soon. A lot of the waterfalls in the Hocking Hills almost dry up in the Summer, so Fall could be interesting. Although Fall is probably the busiest time of the year there for tourism with the leaves changing colors.
09-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #1077
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does not usually work for me. I feel like I need to spend some time or I feel like I am missing out. I was shooting sunrise at the sandbanks provincial park about a month ago. It was a lot of pressure as the time was short and I can't easily go back there. So I was taking photos while thinking of a story I vaguely remember reading about Ansel Adams. He was asked to take a picture of a boulder of some sort. To the person who asked it seemed like a trivial task, especially for Adams. He was surprised though that Ansel Adams spent several days going to that place looking at shadows and sketching the scene before he decided to take a photo.
It would be nice to come back day after day, to stay at one location from a bit before sunrise until the stars return after sundown, to check through an ephemeris to see when the angle of the sun would be perfect. or when a full moon would be at just the right location, but truth is, I travel in company, and my companion is reasonably patient but there are limits. I must work AFAIK as almost any location may offer multiple scenic views, trees, insects, wildlife, small details of rocks, lichen, roadside junk, there's no knowing what is there and what I'll see. There's also being on a schedule from point to point, having decided far in advance to visit this, and that, and this on a particular day. Which location has the best photo-ops, the first spot or the last which you won't get to at all if you spend too long at the first stop, or the third, or linger too long at an unscheduled roadside stop. So, I work as fast as I can, trying to milk a location for everything of photographic interest rather than spending all the time allotted on just one element that is there. I may get 20 mediocre images rather than two that are truly excellent, but that suits me. It's my style. I would not wish or even recommend my approach to anyone, on the presumption that they have already decided upon the rhythm of shutter clicking that suits them.
09-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #1078
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be nice to come back day after day, to stay at one location from a bit before sunrise until the stars return after sundown, to check through an ephemeris to see when the angle of the sun would be perfect. or when a full moon would be at just the right location, but truth is, I travel in company, and my companion is reasonably patient but there are limits. I must work AFAIK as almost any location may offer multiple scenic views, trees, insects, wildlife, small details of rocks, lichen, roadside junk, there's no knowing what is there and what I'll see. There's also being on a schedule from point to point, having decided far in advance to visit this, and that, and this on a particular day. Which location has the best photo-ops, the first spot or the last which you won't get to at all if you spend too long at the first stop, or the third, or linger too long at an unscheduled roadside stop. So, I work as fast as I can, trying to milk a location for everything of photographic interest rather than spending all the time allotted on just one element that is there. I may get 20 mediocre images rather than two that are truly excellent, but that suits me. It's my style. I would not wish or even recommend my approach to anyone, on the presumption that they have already decided upon the rhythm of shutter clicking that suits them.
I know the feeling : with 3 kids if I take more than 5 minutes I get "are you done yet?"

Economists refer to first best and second best. Often times first best is not attainable

Last edited by IgorZ; 09-02-2018 at 05:53 PM.
09-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #1079
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Today's rain and cooler temps got me thinking about the glorious days of Fall approaching. This was taken mid-November 2015:
09-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #1080
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Jeannie's getting older and needs frequent breaks during our dogwalks these days. So this shot is a sort of 'scape' featuring a little dog