Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7355 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #1606
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Very interesting how these stones just happened to be there. I know here on the Oregon Coast there are numerous areas that are dotted with volcanic ash and after some

time they can produce the appearance of being stones. Sometimes very large ones. I really enjoy these seascape images. Well executed there, youngster. )

TT
I confess to being a little befuddled by how shoreline processes created this beach. Wave action is very good at sorting sediment by particle size = sand or shingle, but how to get just scattered fist-size rocks amid otherwise well-sorted sand is outside my understanding.

11-14-2019, 10:51 PM - 2 Likes   #1607
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Stroll on the beach - Ventura Calif.
11-15-2019, 01:26 PM - 4 Likes   #1608
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pre-dawn Lake Washington

11-16-2019, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #1609
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Sunset Grasses

Last of the light for the day...

11-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #1610
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Creek in early Spring -
11-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #1611
GRB
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Beautiful views, Richard!
Taken near Anchorage Alaska in 2014 with a K100D & kit lens:
Maud Road near Palmer?
11-16-2019, 11:21 PM   #1612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I confess to being a little befuddled by how shoreline processes created this beach. Wave action is very good at sorting sediment by particle size = sand or shingle, but how to get just scattered fist-size rocks amid otherwise well-sorted sand is outside my understanding.

You just gave me a great idea. I will post an image from the Oregon Coast so that you, along with others will see what these deposits look like.

TT

11-16-2019, 11:25 PM   #1613
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oregon Coast Showing Volcanic Deposits On The Shore.

A Summer Place. )

Thanks for viewing.

TT
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D70  Photo 
11-16-2019, 11:29 PM - 3 Likes   #1614
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Volcanic Rock Formations On The Oregon Coast. Cannon Beach, Oregon

Thanks so much for viewing.

TT
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D70  Photo 
11-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #1615
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks so much for viewing.

TT
The outliers, sea stacks, sea arches, are easy to understand. They are remnants of where the land used to be. Large blocks of rock mixed into sand of a shoreline that is being eroded are also easy to understand. To get the Australian beach, the sand must be derived from the local shoreline, and the sedimentary rock of the shoreline would be composed of the same mix as the beach = sand with scattered fist-size well-rounded cobbles. That pushes back the problem to how was that bedrock rock formed with such an odd, heterogeneous mix of particle sizes. Also, I think the beach pictured is an depositional structure = the sand is being transported in from elsewhere rather than being autochthonous.
11-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #1616
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Dog Walking

A wee stroll this afternoon with Lady Kerrowdown and Tanqueray.

11-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #1617
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The outliers, sea stacks, sea arches, are easy to understand. They are remnants of where the land used to be. Large blocks of rock mixed into sand of a shoreline that is being eroded are also easy to understand. To get the Australian beach, the sand must be derived from the local shoreline, and the sedimentary rock of the shoreline would be composed of the same mix as the beach = sand with scattered fist-size well-rounded cobbles. That pushes back the problem to how was that bedrock rock formed with such an odd, heterogeneous mix of particle sizes. Also, I think the beach pictured is an depositional structure = the sand is being transported in from elsewhere rather than being autochthonous.

Thank you very much for a very comprehensive and interesting analysis. Geology is certainly one of the most fascinating studies I know of. It reminds me of a quote my

close, personal friend Albert Einstein once uttered, "The more you know, the less you know." In other words, once you come to an answer to a question or a solution to a problem,

it opens doors to more questions. Again, many thanks.

TT
11-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #1618
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you very much for a very comprehensive and interesting analysis. Geology is certainly one of the most fascinating studies I know of. It reminds me of a quote my

close, personal friend Albert Einstein once uttered, "The more you know, the less you know." In other words, once you come to an answer to a question or a solution to a problem,

it opens doors to more questions. Again, many thanks. TT
About opening doors, that is what I'd sometimes tell science majors in the first lecture that I was going to do. Lead them down an endless corridor that was lined with doors on both sides, then open a random door which would reveal another endless corridors with doors on both sides, then open one of those and there would be yet another endless corridor of doors, and sometimes I'd double back to a corridor we'd left, go a bit further along it, open a door, and there would be another corridor of doors, on, and on, and on without ever being able to open all the doors or get to the end of a corridor.
11-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #1619
Pentaxian

K-50....F 35-135....big spring park Huntsville al

11-17-2019, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #1620
Pentaxian

Snowdonia National Park in Wales