Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 122 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have decided to bow out of the Single In group for the foreseeable future. It has been consuming way too much of my time, which should be better spent.
It's been a wonderful learning experience, and getting to know so many of you - mostly vicariously, but some in person - has been a blessing.
There will soon follow a significant rationalisation of my gear too, so expect to see some stuff hit the marketplace in the near future.

I will still hang around the forums, but with a lower profile. Keep in touch!
Ave atque vale. Have fun with your new beastie!

06-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #152
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've dropped the bespoke hood and cap off of the 40Ltd, just because I know that if I have to fiddle with it every day, I'm going to drop or misplace the thing.....

06-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have decided to bow out of the Single In group for the foreseeable future. It has been consuming way too much of my time, which should be better spent.
It's been a wonderful learning experience, and getting to know so many of you - mostly vicariously, but some in person - has been a blessing.
There will soon follow a significant rationalisation of my gear too, so expect to see some stuff hit the marketplace in the near future.

I will still hang around the forums, but with a lower profile. Keep in touch!
You are too hard core - keep your horizons straight
06-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I know that if I have to fiddle with it every day, I'm going to drop or misplace the thing.....
I swear by lens cap leashes, almost every one of my lenses has one.

06-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
You are too hard core - keep your horizons straight

Have finally got around to putting the helios on a camera body.

A bit of a shock after the ease of the m50/1.7.

Glowy open wide. Not as fast in low light.

Guess I'll have to perservere. Considering that I just cruised along with the 1/7, thinking neither here nor there, I'm starting to think I was perhaps a touch spoilt...
06-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #156
Veteran Member

I forgot how tough f4 lenses are to use on overcast days. Going to have to break out a tripod a lot this month
06-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am loving the fisheye... But a month is a long time for warped perception.

06-04-2016, 04:57 AM - 2 Likes   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
But a month is a long time for warped perception.
I don't know, I"ve managed to live my whole life with it

That's part of the magic of the 8mm, it makes the normal a bit surreal, and the FOV is so all encompassing, it opens up so crazy opportunities. I once took a shot at an object across a narrow street, tiliting the camera up a bit, and wound up getting the roof of the building I was leaning against, whcih gave me an idea that I am hoping to pull off in the near future.

Getting lower, or higher, than eye level adds to the effect, as well as shooting curvy objects, or having an object close to the center, in a larger area.

Since this 8mm has a wide range of apertures, I need to go to a crowded place and try some long exposures or multiexposures, long night shots along highways are really cool with te fish as well, but having kids with flashlights run around the yard work equally well.
06-04-2016, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think I'm going to have to bow out this month. Starting a new job on monday, I probably should be focusing on that as much as possible. I'll be back, probably next month, it's been fun!

---------- Post added 06-04-16 at 08:54 AM ----------

On the other hand, shooting with a FE for a month would be a great way to get better antiquated with the FOV.
06-04-2016, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dont shoot it for warped perception - center the horizon and "de fishify it" Use it like the widest angle landscape lens you own (it is)

---------- Post added 06-04-16 at 07:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I think I'm going to have to bow out this month. Starting a new job on monday, I probably should be focusing on that as much as possible.
Smart move: RL before interwebz
06-04-2016, 06:19 AM - 2 Likes   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am shocked how sharp the M40/2.8 is on K-1. I'm using it because it is my newest lens (third time I've had one) and I've never warmed up to it in the past.

Also laughing with joy at the K-1 VF for optical focusing. Finally have time for final processing and posting today.
06-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Dont shoot it for warped perception - center the horizon and "de fishify it" Use it like the widest angle landscape lens you own (it is)
Hopefully I will find an opportunity like that during the month. The mundane is more commonly my subject matter and that wide and mundane is tough! Lol. Thanks for the idea.

---------- Post added 06-04-16 at 09:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I don't know, I"ve managed to live my whole life with it

That's part of the magic of the 8mm, it makes the normal a bit surreal, and the FOV is so all encompassing, it opens up so crazy opportunities. I once took a shot at an object across a narrow street, tiliting the camera up a bit, and wound up getting the roof of the building I was leaning against, whcih gave me an idea that I am hoping to pull off in the near future.

Getting lower, or higher, than eye level adds to the effect, as well as shooting curvy objects, or having an object close to the center, in a larger area.

Since this 8mm has a wide range of apertures, I need to go to a crowded place and try some long exposures or multiexposures, long night shots along highways are really cool with te fish as well, but having kids with flashlights run around the yard work equally well.
Honestly that's a set of ideas I may have to try. One photo I took of my roof and the next door neighbors roof on two sides of a photo but not directly opposite, more like 120 degrees due to the v placement around the circle we love on, that was interesting, but mainly because of the fact it made it look like the world was collapsed around the two houses.

I've been lucky so far... Today and tomorrow I'm going to a rocket launch, normally my weapon of choice is the 60-250 or 300, the 8mm will be interesting to try there.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 06-04-2016 at 06:31 AM.
06-04-2016, 07:28 AM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shot a bunch of circles when I started
https://flic.kr/p/ny3S6L

The other thing about fish-eye Get Close! It has immense DoF.

try not to shoot all those parallel straight lines or if you do, shoot the same parallel lines 6 different ways ( high, low, pointed up and down, etc)
06-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Theme day Saturday 4th June: BLACK AND WHITE
Thanks for the reminder
06-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Thanks for the reminder
Me too - I had already forgotten. Rocket launch is not yet in the cards, my day is filled with a dryer and a sink and a lens conversion, and lunch with my wife and getting my guest room / office / photography area cleaned up for an overnight guest.

But there is a slim chance I will get out there today. If not there is always tomorrow.