Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 122 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2016, 04:51 AM - 2 Likes   #316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Thanks Raf, your continuing efforts on our behalf are much appreciated.

06-25-2016, 07:29 AM   #317
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Thanks Raf, your continuing efforts on our behalf are much appreciated.
Agreed.
06-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Agreed.
Ditto here too Raf. Talking about efforts I have almost caught up on posting had a good trip to the butterfly garden on the 23rd. Work is still crazy but I can see some light in my tunnel. so I hope to stay current in July.

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I am flying out to Portland, Oregon tomorrow so pictures will be sporadic for at least the next week. I'm taking the camera with me but photography is secondary at this point. I do hope to get a few in. Portland is a photogenic city. They have zapped my brother with heavy duty antibiotics and hope that they knocked the MRSA down enough to give him a bit more time. I talked to him earlier and he sounded alert and optimistic. They're talking of a transplant but I just don't know if that's even feasible.
Dave best wishes and prayers for your brother you and your families.
06-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #319
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Late in the evening yesterday I got a "light" photo. Laptop was almost dead, so I haven't processed it. Will investigate it shortly, and might replace my day's photo for the 25th

06-26-2016, 12:40 PM - 2 Likes   #320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am heavily considering jumping back into SIC for July (I miss it).
I have picked up a used copy of HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro (should arrive tomorrow) and would be using that.
I also bought a barely used K3II (won't come till end of week). I can't get the K1 right now : ( I was going to pick up a K-70 but decided on the K3II.

Last edited by cg57; 06-26-2016 at 01:03 PM.
06-26-2016, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #321
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cg57 Quote
I also bought a barely used K3II
thankfully, I don't need a new camera, but the K3ii (used if possible) would be my choice as a replacement. I'd like a K-1 as much as anyone else would, but the money and opportunity have not yet come together at the right time, and the K-5 is still operating perfectly well, so there is really no need.
06-26-2016, 09:21 PM - 3 Likes   #322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Received my modded Sigma 35 and Sigma 85 lenses from CRK today. Going to drop off the 24-70 and the Bigma next!
If it's OK with members, I will complete the month with the Sigma 35 on my K-1 body?

JP

ps got my 4th Explore for the month with the Autumn leaves...

Last edited by jackassp; 06-26-2016 at 10:19 PM.
06-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #323

Apologies to all,
This month has been brutal - started strong and fizzled out after the first week.
Had a co-op student, who quit, then broke her ankle. Wasted 3 weeks of our time.
Hired a replacement. trained again... after 12 days quit with doctors note because he has mono.
Taking up tons of time to train and now we're covering their jobs.

Unfortunately haven't had much opportunity for SI this month. Taken quite a few pictures, but not with the 100mm macro I had chosen - my youngest graduated from high school so have been out taking lots of grad activities but pretty much using the DA* zooms for those jobs.

So... a brief summary of my experience with the Pentax DFA 100mm F2.8 macro (non WR)
A very capable lens. Sharp, well behaved. Took some pretty amazing photos (got my first explore!) . Waiting for it to AF can be frustrating. Good wide open, even better stopped down a few stops. Macro shots were fun, getting up close and personal with grape flowers showing detail that is hidden from the naked eye.

Sadly 100mm just isn't an inspiring focal length for me, so when it came down to it, I just wasn't as motivated to get out and shoot and overcome fatigue, distractions etc.
So although the lens is great, it's still on my list of potential lenses to sell. Although if I somehow justify buying a K-1 I will probably regret selling this lens as it would become a much more interesting focal length in full-frame I think. (similar to 70mm in APS-C which I like a lot)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with July. Hopefully still participate as long as my work schedule looks like it might settle down a bit.
06-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #324
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
100mm just isn't an inspiring focal length for me, so when it came down to it, I just wasn't as motivated to get out and shoot and overcome fatigue, distractions etc.
So although the lens is great, it's still on my list of potential lenses to sell. Although if I somehow justify buying a K-1 I will probably regret selling this lens as it would become a much more interesting focal length in full-frame I think. (similar to 70mm in APS-C which I like a lot.
You have just made the argument I was about to make. Wait. A K-1 is inevitable
06-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The HD DA 35mm f/2.8 macro didn't work out as planned. I have a few options, I discovered an old 28mm f/2.5 Tamron ( not so sharp model) in with the 70 - 210 (not so sharp model) I shot with back in 2015. Or the F 35 - 80mm f/4-5.6 that was part of the group of stuff my friend lent me awhile back. I should have a Takumar 50mm f/4.0 coming so I will chose from one of these.
06-29-2016, 02:12 AM   #326
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

The HD DA 35mm f/2.8 macro didn't work out as planned.
not as good as you had hoped?
06-29-2016, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
not as good as you had hoped?
I want the HD version - it was the smc version. I will pick up a HD version later.
06-30-2016, 04:00 AM   #328
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So, what can I say (again) about the Plastic Fantastic DA35/2.4? This is the fourth time I've singled it, which is perhaps getting kinda silly - but I like you guys, so I stick kind of around, even though I'm not shifting lenses. It's still plastic, and still fantastic. It's still really sharp (not as eye-bleedingly so as the Sigma 30mm, but quite enough). Rendering and colours are still great. FoV is still lovely for me. Focus is still fast and accurate.

I loves it; it is my precious.

Sticking with it for thirties in June, but will prise it off in favour of the 28/2.8 in August, and the short end of the 16-45 in September (promise).
06-30-2016, 05:13 AM   #329
Pentaxian

I want the HD version - it was the smc version.
I have the SMC version and I am in no hurry to trade up. Is the HD really THAT much better?
06-30-2016, 06:07 AM   #330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I have the SMC version and I am in no hurry to trade up. Is the HD really THAT much better?
Indeed, if I already had the smc version ….. but since I don’t, for me, ...from what I can tell from sample shots and the review, I’m just pulled towards the HD version for a first buy purchase.

Last edited by cg57; 06-30-2016 at 06:12 AM.