Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #556
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote

Light truck- 1940's - can anyone identify...

K3 & DA 55-300

Owner had moved the vehicle next to it this morning, so was able to get a profile snap with the phone.

Anyone know what it is now? I dont want to enter private property to get the front on shot - happy to snipe from off the boundary though. Seems like an interesting project. Using the number plate as a date clue I googled - 47 Ford pickup perhaps...
Hi Arjay
J Quill has put up a Chevolet ute similar to your photo in the planes ,trains boats and automobile thread.
It might be what you are looking for.
The tub looks the same.

Dave

06-19-2020, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fujifilm X-E1 + XF35/2

06-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #558
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
J Quill has put up a Chevolet ute
Thank you for the pointer- pretty sure the truck is a 1946 Ford F1 - I have compared it to images on the net and it is very close.
06-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #559
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thank you for the pointer- pretty sure the truck is a 1946 Ford F1 - I have compared it to images on the net and it is very close.
Hi Arjay

Are you going to aquire it, to do it up for a runaround.

Dave

06-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #560
Pentaxian

Nah not available- it is in the carport of a private home on one of my morning walks - very eye catching.
07-01-2020, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1960 Ford Starliner

Last edited by paulh; 07-01-2020 at 06:18 PM.
08-02-2020, 02:48 PM - 3 Likes   #562
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A number of rare and classic or antique vehicles, most of which have been sitting for over 20 years, about to go to waste, as the owner refuses to sell, has no relatives, and is dying of diabetes.

A 1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt, one of only 100 made.

A 1957 Ford 2 door post.

A 1951 Oldsmobile Sedan Delivery.

A 1956 Ford 2 1/2 ton Dump truck.

08-02-2020, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #563
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A number of rare and classic or antique vehicles, most of which have been sitting for over 20 years, about to go to waste,
I've seen that in a few collections. The items hold on the owner's memory and intention is still strongly held despite changed circumstances and no relationship with reality. Keep an eye on it though as an estate sale could turn up a few bargains - unless the owner is planning to bury the vehicles with him as sometimes happens.

3 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #564
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A shot of my '73 Kawasaki 750 H2. A classic noisy & fast two-stroke triple My brother did the paintwork.
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #565
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A 1951 Oldsmobile Sedan Delivery.
Now that is an unusual car...don't think I've ever seen an Oldsmobile Sedan Delivery, must be very rare indeed. With the Rocket V8, that would of been a factory hot rod. That would be a lovely vehicle to return to the road...either stock or very mildly modified.

I recall my cousin who was about 5 years older than me. Back in the early '60's He would sometimes give me a ride in his '55 Olds 88 with it's Rocket V8 and 4 speed, Hydra Matic transmission. This was his first car, and not his 'father's Oldsmobile'...He used to tromp the gas pedal to the floor at every opportunity and for a mid '50's car, that thing would fly and you could hear the Hydra Matic transmission running the Olds V8 through it's gears.

Sadly my cousin Bill passed a few years ago, but I do have pleasant memories of him...he was a bit of a wild guy. He was a long haul truck driver....drove loads through the USA and Canada.

Les

---------- Post added 08-09-20 at 04:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
A shot of my '73 Kawasaki 750 H2. A classic noisy & fast two-stroke triple My brother did the paintwork.
Quite a bike. The biggest displacement Kawasaki triple, 2 stroker. A friend had one and I recall him telling me the story of him outrunning a Mountie, then pushing the motorcycle into a cornfield , laying it and him down in the field, waiting till he felt it was safe to leave and hoping the Mountie had driven off.

Now I don't condone speeding, running from the police...etc. But those Kawa 750 triple , 2 strokes would go.
3 Days Ago   #566
Pentaxian

A shot of my '73 Kawasaki 750 H2. A classic noisy & fast two-stroke triple
I had a friend with one in the 70s. He had some issues with chassis and brakes not up to the engine power. But I lusted after it anyway. Couldnt afford one but had a Suzuki GT380 2 stroke triple which had the same design philosophy. It definitely had chassis and brake issues - mine was an early drum brake model.
2 Days Ago   #567
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Quite a bike.
Suzuki GT380
Yep, it was a handful - the front wheel would get very light at times! My brother owned a tricked-out GT-380 (cafe bars and fairing, chambers, etc) that was very quick. He took on, and beat quite a few Honda 750s with that thing.
2 Days Ago   #568
Pentaxian

Yep, it was a handful - the front wheel would get very light at times! My brother owned a tricked-out GT-380 (cafe bars and fairing, chambers, etc) that was very quick. He took on, and beat quite a few Honda 750s with that thing.
I had a Jawa and a few CZ motorcycles in the '60's, also a '65 Yamaha YDS3 Catalina Super Sports 250cc.... In '78 I bought a new Yamaha SR 500 (thumper) which I still have and in the late '90's bought a '67 Matchless 750 Scrambler.....factory Norton Atlas twin engine shoehorned into a Matchless frame with twin Amal carbs, sports cam, skidplate, low gearing, etc. They were originally designed to be desert sleds and they did ok in that, but a number were used as street bikes.
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #569
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I had a Jawa and a few CZ motorcycles in the '60's, also a '65 Yamaha YDS3 Catalina Super Sports 250cc.... In '78 I bought a new Yamaha SR 500 (thumper) which I still have and in the late '90's bought a '67 Matchless 750 Scrambler.....factory Norton Atlas twin engine shoehorned into a Matchless frame with twin Amal carbs, sports cam, skidplate, low gearing, etc. They were originally designed to be desert sleds and they did ok in that, but a number were used as street bikes.
Ah, another CZ man I had a cobbled-together CZ400 dirt bike back in the day. Not much in the way of suspension, but it had plenty of go! I always admired those SR500 Yamahas, but never owned one. My first motorcycle was a '74 RD350, that was quite a handful to learn on . Very quick, and very wheelie-prone! I got pulled over by the cops a couple times for "excessive exhaust smoke" until I explained how a 2-stroke engine worked.
2 Days Ago   #570
Pentaxian

Ah, another CZ man I had a cobbled-together CZ400 dirt bike back in the day. Not much in the way of suspension, but it had plenty of go! I always admired those SR500 Yamahas, but never owned one. My first motorcycle was a '74 RD350, that was quite a handful to learn on . Very quick, and very wheelie-prone! I got pulled over by the cops a couple times for "excessive exhaust smoke" until I explained how a 2-stroke engine worked.
I have warm memories of CZ motorcycles. Back in the '60's they cleaned up a lot in motocross (we called scrambling in North America back then) internationally and locally. The machines won a number of world championships back then, both in 250 and 500cc classes.

I like my 500 single Yamaha, but it is a bike with character....vibration, hard to start till you get the knack, really good handler in the twisties, not really a highway touring bike...but I love the thing.

My bil had a RD 350 and a RD 400. Lovely bikes....excellent acceleration and really good all round performers. I'm a fan of 2 strokes....still have my 32 year old Lawn Boy lawn mower 2 stroke, use Stihl 2 stroke oil in it and it smokes a lot less than the oil I used to put into my 2 strokes in the '60's. Not sure why, as the ratios aren't that different from memory. Might be, because after a piston seizure back then, I always added a generous additional dollop to the mix.