Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2022, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #721
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
And then some. I remember these when they came out, they made our humble 1953 Consul look minuscule. This one looks restorable. I always hope they don't "mod" them, as much of their charm is as living history.
Yeah, it's an enormous car. I do love seeing cars restored to their original showroom condition, but I don't mind seeing "restomods" either. Either way, it's a lot of work, and you have to admire the effort.

This one is parked in Amboy, a mostly abandoned town on a remote section of the original Route 66 in the Mojave desert. The section of the historic highway between Oklahoma City and Los Angeles is now Interstate 40, but the Interstate follows a different path through some areas, and this is one of those places. There's no reason to pass through Amboy anymore except for nostalgia's sake (especially now that the highway is indefinitely closed just past the town due to washed-out bridges that no one wants to pay to repair). Hence the hulk from the highway's heyday.

10-09-2022, 06:56 AM - 3 Likes   #722

6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #723
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Home built go kart.

1 Day Ago - 2 Likes   #724
Pentaxian

1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #725
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Sonoramic Commando.

1960 Plymouth Fury?

Back when cars had grilles with personality.

Like a Newport.

With that Batmobile look.

23 Hours Ago - 2 Likes   #726
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I passed a beautiful lady with lots of curves on my way to shopping on Saturday. She is lovely, 75 years old. Her owner is quite a bit younger, logically, as he inherited it from his father. Parked outside a local pub, and I had to go find him to ask permission to take some photos. He was quite happy about that. Opted to just use my Canon PowerShot SX260 HS- Disgraceful I know!

18 Hours Ago   #727
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
I passed a beautiful lady with lots of curves on my way to shopping on Saturday. She is lovely, 75 years old. Her owner is quite a bit younger, logically, as he inherited it from his father. Parked outside a local pub, and I had to go find him to ask permission to take some photos. He was quite happy about that. Opted to just use my Canon PowerShot SX260 HS- Disgraceful I know!

You had to ask permission to photograph a car parked on a public roadway?

Why?

17 Hours Ago - 1 Like   #728
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone remember this one?
13 Hours Ago - 2 Likes   #729
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You had to ask permission to photograph a car parked on a public roadway?

Why?
Not really, but it is something that I like to do, and there is always the possibility of someone getting upset about something like that- we are an over-sensitive society around here. So to to keep it safe, I will usually just ask. Something that has become quite natural for me to do,after several attempts to take photos in shopping malls, industrial sites and other facilities. Once had a serious confrontation with a security guard on a University Campus about somehing like this. I did ask, he did not know I had asked, and became quite aggressive. On another occasion,, a security guard stopped me, also becoming quite aggressive, for stopping to take a photo of a sunflower that was growing on the pavement. Been stopped several times at Johannesburg Botanical Gardens by security guards there, and apparently, you need a permit to take photos there- though i am exempt as I explained to the manager in charge I am not there for commercial reasons, just recreational- birds, insects, flowers etc. She was happy to allow me freedom. In this instance, the gardens are being used for commercial photography, and they want to put a stop to that. As for shopping malls, I am told criminals use photos of the layout of the mall when they plan robberies. So no photos allowed, though most will allow photos with a cell phone.
All these things dictate rather be on the safe side.
10 Hours Ago   #730
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Not really, but it is something that I like to do, and there is always the possibility of someone getting upset about something like that- we are an over-sensitive society around here. So to to keep it safe, I will usually just ask. Something that has become quite natural for me to do,after several attempts to take photos in shopping malls, industrial sites and other facilities. Once had a serious confrontation with a security guard on a University Campus about somehing like this. I did ask, he did not know I had asked, and became quite aggressive. On another occasion,, a security guard stopped me, also becoming quite aggressive, for stopping to take a photo of a sunflower that was growing on the pavement. Been stopped several times at Johannesburg Botanical Gardens by security guards there, and apparently, you need a permit to take photos there- though i am exempt as I explained to the manager in charge I am not there for commercial reasons, just recreational- birds, insects, flowers etc. She was happy to allow me freedom. In this instance, the gardens are being used for commercial photography, and they want to put a stop to that. As for shopping malls, I am told criminals use photos of the layout of the mall when they plan robberies. So no photos allowed, though most will allow photos with a cell phone.
All these things dictate rather be on the safe side.
Thanks for the explanation Noel.

A lot more than "meets the eye", eh?