Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2016, 12:58 AM   #361
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I singled with TSOP earlier this year and I loved it!

and this MFD does change dramatically with the macro function:

QuoteQuote:
Shifting into macro mode the focus throw is an additional 1/5th turn from 5' to the minimum macro focus distance (@ 35mm) of roughly 11".
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-a-35-105mm-f35/review.html#specs#ixzz4J5PyAiUq

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 09-02-2016 at 01:31 AM.
09-02-2016, 01:45 AM   #362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. With most macro modes i find i struggle to get the right focus regardless. I had a macro mode on my lens and i had to be about 30cm or so away from the subject, otherwise i couldn't take the shot. So you end up shooting in normal mode anyway.

So for anything between that mfd and the mfd in normal mode, i just have to give up. That orbmove backwards in normal mode or get super close in macro mode to get the shot. Kinda defeats the purpose... Does that make sense? :/

---------- Post added 09-02-16 at 06:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I had that lens and sold it while a go. Great lens, but that MDF was something that I was not happy. Rest of it was great! I did want modern zoom so I did not have to dial FL every time I zoomed in or out or went to macro mode. In that case it is also TSOP...but if one can live with that, then it is a great lens.
Good to know. For children and dogs i find i just need that mfd to be short and flexible. Others' mmv

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 09-02-2016 at 01:55 AM.
09-02-2016, 04:54 AM   #363
Loyal Site Supporter

perhaps a lens to borrow to try out, then...
09-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those interested, the following Obit was published this morning

QuoteQuote:
KIDD Elizabeth "LIZ KIDD" Passed away August 29, 2016 at Barragga Bay NSW. Now free and at peace from a cruel disease. A Private Cremation will be followed in a few weeks by Celebration of Liz's life, which will be notified in The Herald. Online guest book will be available at the Herald for those who would like to offer tribute to this very special person. Liz's love, her selflessness and her engaging spirit will always be remembered.
Published in The Newcastle Herald on Sept. 3, 2016 - See more at: Elizabeth KIDD Death Notice - Newcastle, New South Wales | Newcastle Herald

09-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #365
Loyal Site Supporter

thank you, Matt
09-02-2016, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #366
Loyal Site Supporter

my review of the Tamron Adaptall-2 02B (28mm f2.5):

after shooting for the first eight days with my DA21 Ltd and determining that there is a focus problem with the lens, I switched to the 02B. I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised. To be honest, I swapped lenses with a bit of dread - going from the DA21 to the 02B would certainly result a dull, lackluster month.

I couldn't have been more wrong. While the 02B is not a replacement for a DA21, it can certainly pull its own weight. To begin, it is an Adaptall-2 lens and as such, you must acquire an Adaptall-2 adapter. I use only P/KA adapters on these lenses so I essentially have an 'A' lens and not muck about with green-button-metering. I have three Adaptall-2's that can utilize the 'AE' setting on the lens and all three have dedicated adapters - it only makes sense to me.

anyway - the build of the lens is roughly equivalent to a tank; where the SMC A 28mm lenses are rather dainty, this lens has a larger barrel and focus ring, while retaining a 49mm filter ring (which I use for a metal hood). It has an all-metal build and has a tactile feel to it that is quite pleasurable to use - a well-damped focus ring rounds out the exceptional build quality.

with the f2.5 aperture (I read both 2.5 and 2.4 on my K-3, all the way up to f22), this lens is quick enough to be able to shoot in failing light without having to add too much ISO to the mix. it produces warm, accurate colors and is quite sharp once you are above f4 and beyond. it has an MFD of about 7 inches, so it is easy to get closer to your subject - it is not, however, a macro lens.

on the downside: it's coatings are not up to par with modern lenses; it will ghost/flare/lose contrast in strong light if care is not taken.... that's it for the downside - I was so surprised by the performance of this 28mm lens, I've stopped looking for an SMC 28mm - I simply don't need one.

if you don't mind the entire Adaptall issue, this is a worthy manual-focus 28mm lens to consider.... I like it better than the Sigma Mini-Wide II that I Singled with a few months ago, and I thought that was not a bad lens at all - now I am considering selling that Sigma...

favorite shots from August:

all in all, a successful test of a lens that I did not think too much of to begin with.... now it is a valuable piece of my manual-focus kit...

my flickr album of the month:

Single in August '16 | Flickr
09-03-2016, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #367
Pentaxian

My review of the HD DA 20-40 LTD.

First of all it was nice having a couple of others here post with the same lens this month. That's always a good learning experience for me.

Right now this is still my favorite zoom. I recently acquired a 16-50 and used that the previous month. A great lens for sure but the Limited snuck back in for the top spot spot for me. The reasons are that while the zoom range is limited it works really well for me, 20 to 35 is the range of my most used focal lengths; the lens is light and easy to keep with me all the time (the camera it is my briefcase, a tenba large messenger bag, during the day); it is sharp; and it produces some really nice bokeh; lastly it has a nice close minimum focal distance that at 40mm makes it almost macro like.

The downs sides are the loose cap, it has dropped off on me more that I would like to admit causing much back tracking. I now use a cap keeper glued on to the front of the lens cap. Another is that at 20 mm you need to stop down to f/8 to get anything sharp at the edges - a centered environmental portrait works but that is about all.

Some of my favorite shots of the month:

Last edited by wstruth; 09-03-2016 at 06:05 AM.
09-03-2016, 06:19 AM   #368
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
My review of the HD DA 20-40 LTD.

First of all it was nice having a couple of others here post with the same lens this month. That's always a good learning experience for me.

Right now this is still my favorite zoom. I recently acquired a 16-50 and used that the previous month. A great lens for sure but the Limited snuck back in for the top spot spot for me. The reasons are that while the zoom range is limited it works really well for me, 20 to 35 is the range of my most used focal lengths; the lens is light and easy to keep with me all the time (the camera it is my briefcase, a tenba large messenger bag, during the day); it is sharp; and it produces some really nice bokeh; lastly it has a nice close minimum focal distance that at 40mm makes it almost macro like.

The downs sides are the loose cap, it has dropped off on me more that I would like to admit causing much back tracking. I now use a cap keeper glued on to the front of the lens cap. Another is that at 20 mm you need to stop down to f/8 to get anything sharp at the edges - a centered environmental portrait works but that is about all.

Some of my favorite shots of the month:

Great review.

09-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #369
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
my review of the Tamron Adaptall-2 02B (28mm f2.5):

after shooting for the first eight days with my DA21 Ltd and determining that there is a focus problem with the lens, I switched to the 02B. I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised. To be honest, I swapped lenses with a bit of dread - going from the DA21 to the 02B would certainly result a dull, lackluster month.

I couldn't have been more wrong. While the 02B is not a replacement for a DA21, it can certainly pull its own weight. To begin, it is an Adaptall-2 lens and as such, you must acquire an Adaptall-2 adapter. I use only P/KA adapters on these lenses so I essentially have an 'A' lens and not muck about with green-button-metering. I have three Adaptall-2's that can utilize the 'AE' setting on the lens and all three have dedicated adapters - it only makes sense to me.

anyway - the build of the lens is roughly equivalent to a tank; where the SMC A 28mm lenses are rather dainty, this lens has a larger barrel and focus ring, while retaining a 49mm filter ring (which I use for a metal hood). It has an all-metal build and has a tactile feel to it that is quite pleasurable to use - a well-damped focus ring rounds out the exceptional build quality.

with the f2.5 aperture (I read both 2.5 and 2.4 on my K-3, all the way up to f22), this lens is quick enough to be able to shoot in failing light without having to add too much ISO to the mix. it produces warm, accurate colors and is quite sharp once you are above f4 and beyond. it has an MFD of about 7 inches, so it is easy to get closer to your subject - it is not, however, a macro lens.

on the downside: it's coatings are not up to par with modern lenses; it will ghost/flare/lose contrast in strong light if care is not taken.... that's it for the downside - I was so surprised by the performance of this 28mm lens, I've stopped looking for an SMC 28mm - I simply don't need one.

if you don't mind the entire Adaptall issue, this is a worthy manual-focus 28mm lens to consider.... I like it better than the Sigma Mini-Wide II that I Singled with a few months ago, and I thought that was not a bad lens at all - now I am considering selling that Sigma...

favorite shots from August:

all in all, a successful test of a lens that I did not think too much of to begin with.... now it is a valuable piece of my manual-focus kit...

my flickr album of the month:

Single in August '16 | Flickr
Glad it worked for you!
09-06-2016, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #370
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, finally recovered from my 5-day 55 mile hike...have posted my last day's image so time for a review of the HD 20-40 Limited. I've had this lens for about a year now and it's silver to match my silver K3 body. That's cool! I've shot with it a lot already and this month was no exception. It is:
1. Never quite long or short enough but still very useful.
2. It's really quite versatile for many situations of 'normal' shooting and the WR and quiet focusing are really excellent.
3. I've been very satisfied with the IQ of it over and over.

Bottom line is that if you want an upgrade from the kit lens and don't want the da*16-50 (which I also own and love), this is the zoom for you.

Negatives....only one really the cap is a PIA to keep on in many situations. I refuse to get a cap keeper for it but I wish it would lock on tighter (same wish goes out to some other with this same design like the FA 43.)

Anyway, I'm a fan of this lens for sure.
09-08-2016, 05:36 AM   #371
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Ok, finally recovered from my 5-day 55 mile hike...have posted my last day's image so time for a review of the HD 20-40 Limited. I've had this lens for about a year now and it's silver to match my silver K3 body. That's cool! I've shot with it a lot already and this month was no exception. It is:
1. Never quite long or short enough but still very useful.
2. It's really quite versatile for many situations of 'normal' shooting and the WR and quiet focusing are really excellent.
3. I've been very satisfied with the IQ of it over and over.

Bottom line is that if you want an upgrade from the kit lens and don't want the da*16-50 (which I also own and love), this is the zoom for you.

Negatives....only one really the cap is a PIA to keep on in many situations. I refuse to get a cap keeper for it but I wish it would lock on tighter (same wish goes out to some other with this same design like the FA 43.)

Anyway, I'm a fan of this lens for sure.

Just an unrelated observation... I remember when silver was the norm and you paid extra for a black body.
09-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Just an unrelated observation... I remember when silver was the norm and you paid extra for a black body.
Yep, me too. Fashion is a PIA.
09-08-2016, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #373
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My black F2a Nikon was in high demand when I bought it. LOL.
09-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #374
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The black paint, lacquer I suspect, on my Spotmatic soon wore off at the corners exposing the brass underneath. It was kind of a cool look though.