Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 140 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2016, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After a disappointing month with my Tokina 17mm (mainly due to weather, family issues and extreme work pressure (== laziness)), I will try to do a full month in August. K-1 needs more exercise. My Sigma lenses are all fixed now (24-70/2.8, 35/1.4, 85/1.4 and the Bigma), I think I will go with the 24-70/2.8, and maybe if someone else is using the new Pentax 24-70, we can do some comparisons. I'm open to requests though, but please, we are lacking good light, the Bigma would be better suited to Spring, Summer or Autumn....

07-26-2016, 05:26 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I impulse bought a DA50/1.8 on the recent Amazon prime day. I'll take it for a spin with my K-3.
S!
Robbie
07-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Tokina 17mm
I have a Takumar 17mm with an M42 mount, I used it the most over the last two weeks of road -tripping. On APS-C I found it to be a great UWA with nearly no distortion, and the MFD made it really great for all sorts of circumstances. Sorry to hear you weren't enjoying the Tokina.
07-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I impulse bought a DA50/1.8 on the recent Amazon prime day. I'll take it for a spin with my K-3.
S!
Robbie
Looking forward to it!! I bought one the last time it dipped under $100, but I haven't given it a thorough work out. I'm excited to see your results. :-)

07-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #20
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I Singled with my DA50 back in May of this year - it was my first Pentax prime and it is a special lens (especially for the price)....
07-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
.....,. I think I will go with the 24-70/2.8, and maybe if someone else is using the new Pentax 24-70, we can do some comparisons......
I'm just finishing my month with the 24-70/2.8 John; I'll be interested to hear/see your experiences with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be playing in August with my SMC (K) 30mm f2.8

Last edited by OzzRod; 07-27-2016 at 05:07 AM.
07-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm in with a 28mm lens, but I haven't figured out which one yet. The FA28/2.8 seems the most versatile, but on the other hand I have 28's in plain-jane K mount (Vivitar 28/2.8) and M42 (SMC Tak 28/3.5).

As for September - lack of opportunities to make best use of a truly wide angle lens mean I probably won't be dipping down into the teens. But I just got an e-mail from Kickstarter saying that the first batch of their 64/2.9 Daguerre reboots are on the way to distribution centres, and hopefully this includes the K-mounts. So while I don't seriously expect to have it before August, I will almost certainly have it before September.

If by some freaky circumstance it's in my hands on or before August 1, there will be some tough decisions to make!

07-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #23
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

how many of us are planning to do August at 28mm?

a quick count shows four of us (including severalsnakes with the 28-70)

I have a Tamron 02B I haven't really exercised much yet..... hmmm....
07-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

Several (like me) indicated possible use of the 20-40 limited. I only have one 28mm in the house and it is a Csnon FD mount lens.
07-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #25
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

yes, but I don't have a 20-40LTD to join in with.... so it'll be a DA21LTD or the Tamron 02B.....

hmmm....
07-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm definitely in, I'm really looking forward to using my 28mm Tokina. That lens needs to get some use!

07-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I think the original intention was not so much 28mm exactly, but "twenty-something". I'm going for 28 because I love my macro extension tubes and they demand an FA or earlier lens for best use. My DA21/3.2 would be operating at f/22 all the time, and while this would not be an issue with the actual photography (I'm very fond of tripods and macro rails), focusing precisely at that aperture might present serious issues.

Someone needs to invent a K-mount thingy which goes on the end of a macro tube set and provides stop down aperture control for aperture-ringless lenses - even if it's clickless and doesn't enable you to select an exact figure, being able to focus wide open and then snap shut for the pic would be invaluable (hmm, I think I know a workaround for this, but I'll have to wait until I'm home to try it out).
07-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #28
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Several 21mm lenese showed up on PF in the last two weeks, and I am sorely tempted, but a 70mm also showed up on PF, and I would like to fill that gap in my collection
I have lots of gaps in my collection. E.g. I have nothing between 21 and 24

The 70 has developed into a favourite of mine. Took some time to "discover" it, but now I find it a very nice walk-around lens.

I'd like to join the Singles but probably not until October - even if it's a dark and dreary time of year.
07-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I think the original intention was not so much 28mm exactly, but "twenty-something". I'm going for 28 because I love my macro extension tubes and they demand an FA or earlier lens for best use. My DA21/3.2 would be operating at f/22 all the time, and while this would not be an issue with the actual photography (I'm very fond of tripods and macro rails), focusing precisely at that aperture might present serious issues.

Someone needs to invent a K-mount thingy which goes on the end of a macro tube set and provides stop down aperture control for aperture-ringless lenses - even if it's clickless and doesn't enable you to select an exact figure, being able to focus wide open and then snap shut for the pic would be invaluable (hmm, I think I know a workaround for this, but I'll have to wait until I'm home to try it out).
Are you willing to reverse the lens? If so here's what you do.

Body - Extension Tube - Reversing Ring - Lens - Sony/Fuji/m4/3 etc DA style adapter with aperture ring control

The DA style adapters for the mirrorless cameras allow simple stepless aperture control. So you just reverse the lens and control it that way and you are golden. Treat it like an Auto/Manual swtich on m42 or as a stepless aperture on a preset lens in manual mode.
07-27-2016, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm contemplating... I have Grandpa's old Sears 28mm 2.8 m42 that I've had for ten years but have never bothered to fix to a camera... I looked at it yesterday and it's in perfectly clean shape and has a June 1950 date on it... Or A 28 or Toyo 28 that were both Singled last year but could be new fun on K1...