Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Daily in August 2016

Welcome any and all to the "Daily in" August 2016 Challenge (aka DIC) here at Pentax Forums!

Aim of the Game: Shoot daily with any camera/lens you want and post one picture each day of the month to this group challenge. Our desire when starting this challenge was to be similar in culture to the popular "Single In" Challenge (aka SI or SIC) here at Pentax Forums, but to instead be able to use any lens/gear we want to each and any day of the month. There is no limitation to what camera gear you use for this challenge.

Additionally for film shooters, you can post your film shot for the day according to the day you scan your image, if you want. We just ask in this case that you also note the approximate date when the image was exposed, if possible. And of course any gear, film type and exposure setting details you might be able to provide are always appreciated.

Commenting: Posting our pictures to the daily threads for the month allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on the pictures posted by the other members as well. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie. Your personal reactions to photographs are just as valid as any. We aim to be a friendly group and with regular commenting, we’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: Daily shooting and sharing is great fun! As with the Single In Challenge, you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected gear that will sometimes be the same gear you’ve chosen for that day. In the comment banter you’re likely to pick up some photographic tips and ideas. As the month progresses it can become quite demanding to keep shooting and posting every day (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA and GAS? - this game won’t help you!

Note: This 'Daily Challenge' was started in January 2016 by a few regular members of the 'Single In Challenge' who after participating in many Single In Challenges themselves desired to have a similar daily shooting/posting challenge format and interactive culture with the key difference of being able to switch our gear up during the month whenever desired. That said, if you're here considering whether or not to accept the Daily Challenge for a month and haven't yet tried a month of the Single In Challenge, we enthusiastically encourage you to try one... Simply put, spending a whole month of daily shooting and sharing with the same lens is a great way to get to know your gear.

How to participate:

1. Join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Daily Challenge (By Month)”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join the group.

2. Store your pictures in an on-line album somewhere. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, etc. Flickr is the most commonly used host, and makes it easiest for others to comment on your pictures.

3. Post your daily image into the daily picture thread in the Daily Challenge (By Month) group page. That image should link to where your image is hosted. That's it!

** Some of us may be participating in both the Daily Challenge and the Single In challenges for the month. When this is the case, it should be a different image posted to each challenge for the same day.

** If you are going to be linking to your images in a Pentax Forum album, just ask for advice below if needed.

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture at flickr.com and a window will open displaying the BB code. Select the 1024px size, then copy and paste the BB code into the Daily Challenge (By Month) group page in the Pentax Forum.

** If you're a Flickr member, then here is the Flickr group to join: Daily Challenges (Pentax Forums)
Please remember to add your posted images to this Flickr group.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow in the Daily Challenge (By Month) group page. By clicking on each picture in the daily thread you should be redirected to the photographer’s image page wherever it's hosted and there you will be able to add a comment and read those of others.

When you post your picture each day to the daily thread, please specify the camera/lens combination with your picture eg 'K5 & DA15 Ltd'. This makes it easy for others to note what gear you’re using. This is especially helpful for this Daily Challenge where our chosen lenses and/or cameras for each day may be changing frequently.

The thread you’re reading now is the 'Discussion Thread' for Game > Daily In August 2016 Challenge. It's is a separate discussion thread from the picture posting thread referred to above, so you’ll probably want to subscribe to this discussion thread here as well to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with other Challenge members. It’s the place to ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

** If you've been shooting daily pictures during the challenge month but have been away from the internet or have been too busy to post and want to back post your images to the daily threads for the month, you are welcomed to do so. It is recommended in this case to also come back to the monthly thread here and post a comment to let the group know and provide some details to inspire us to visit your images.

This FAQ (made by Zorglub) may be helpful which was created for the Single In Challenge. Everything there also applies to this Daily Challenge with the key and major difference being that we are not binding this challenge to the use of one lens for the whole month.

There is no limitation to what camera gear you use for this challenge.

Here we go! It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss any days, don’t worry about it. If you have any problems, please ask. Come and try!

So who's joining me for August?

Last edited by todd; 07-28-2016 at 10:06 PM.
07-25-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am feeling optimistic that I'll be in daily!
07-25-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm considering it. It is hard to leave the single in folks and I'm not sure i can do both sanely...
07-28-2016, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #4

new pentaxian (and dslr shooter) here willing to give it a shot. i looked at the FAQs, and just wanted to check: i will be without the net for some of the month, it's ok to take the pics on the days and then upload when i get back online, yes?

07-28-2016, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mnaah Quote
new pentaxian (and dslr shooter) here willing to give it a shot. i looked at the FAQs, and just wanted to check: i will be without the net for some of the month, it's ok to take the pics on the days and then upload when i get back online, yes?
Welcome, welcome, welcome! Are you coming from film?What gear are you starting off with?

Yes uploading to the days whenever you get back (and get around to it) is completely ok... I will likely be doing the same during my mid-month camping trip... It'd be a good idea in this case to also come back to this thread and post a comment that you've done so, to alert us that there is a batch of photos we can view. Also you could include in that post some details about the images posted to inspire us to view..

The culture of this DIC group (in my opinion, and so far) is that we haven't been super diligent and active about posting comments every day and such (to put it generously, and compared to the SIC group), but we all do try our best, and we are around... The DIC culture seems to also be refreshingly more relaxed in this regard, in my opinion. It is a personal challenge after all of shooting daily...

So, I say that because if you're looking for a lot of consistent daily feedback from participants, I would suggest the Single In Challenge which has a better track record for this thanks to some loyal commenters in that group (especially if you are diligent about commenting too. I know for myself, I prioritize towards those who regularly take the time to comment on my stuff...) I think SIC is also just more established group having been around for years with the added challenge and benefit of one lens for the month, and with more people who regularly join... I haven't been doing the Single In challenge the last couple months, but will probably join back up for August and do both challenges again as I have many times now since we started the DIC in January.

In general for either group, it's best to post same day as the shot whenever possible if it's desired to get the most visits and feedback possible.

I do hope you join our Daily challenge group! Your post has reminded me that I am supposed to update our challenge rules... The update is to allow any film shooters to post their images according to the days they scan their photos. I am adding to this request that the poster also include the approximate date the image was exposed as well, if possible. I've also added a note into the original post above for future readers regarding your question.. The official response is: ** If you've been shooting daily pictures during the challenge month but have been away from the internet or have been too busy to post and want to back post your images to the daily threads for the month, you are welcomed to do so. It is recommended in this case to also come back to the monthly thread here and post a comment to let the group know and provide some details to inspire us to visit your images.

Last edited by todd; 07-28-2016 at 10:06 PM.
07-29-2016, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #6

Thanks Todd, that's good to know about the relaxed nature of the group - something I'm probably better off starting with anyway.

I had an old Nikon film slr back in the day, but recently, I've been using an panasonic superzoom, and now wanting to get into taking better photographs, so when it was time to get a new camera, I made the leap. Picked up a K-3ii when it was cheap on amazon, and paired it with the lightly used 18-55 and tamron 70-300, and a new 50 f1.8. That was the limit of the budget! Hopefully will upgrade the lenses in a year or so as I work out what best will suit my shooting.

thanks for the welcome
07-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Todd, that's good to know about the relaxed nature of the group - something I'm probably better off starting with anyway.

I had an old Nikon film slr back in the day, but recently, I've been using an panasonic superzoom, and now wanting to get into taking better photographs, so when it was time to get a new camera, I made the leap. Picked up a K-3ii when it was cheap on amazon, and paired it with the lightly used 18-55 and tamron 70-300, and a new 50 f1.8. That was the limit of the budget! Hopefully will upgrade the lenses in a year or so as I work out what best will suit my shooting.

thanks for the welcome
Welcome...glad to have you!

I'm back from our off-the-grid vacation and will rejoin the Daily group for August.

07-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the relaxed nature of the group - something I'm probably better off starting with anyway
yes, we are pretty relaxed, welcome, I look forward to viewing your photos
07-31-2016, 12:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I'll give it a go this month; a good chance to use some of my Takumars that have been neglected for far too long - especially the 24, 28, and pre-set 135/3.5.
07-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm tempted to join in again this month, despite having no pc for post processing and only mobile Internet. Got my hands on a well used GR a few days ago, including an Eye-Fi card, so posting unedited jpegs through my phone is an option. I definitely need to get better acquainted with this gem of a camera

07-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have a tablet? Any access to a browser? Pixlr has a good suite of jpg editing tools and flickr's basic editor is also ok for simple edits.
07-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #12
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Do you have a tablet? Any access to a browser? Pixlr has a good suite of jpg editing tools and flickr's basic editor is also ok for simple edits.
I do have an old 12" laptop, but that's hardly the screen (or hardware) for doing any worthwhile editing. Anyway, I'd be more interested to see how far I can get with the built-in raw developer in the GR. An extra challenge, if you will
07-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll be relaxing with the group
07-31-2016, 02:02 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
So I am in too... but instead of different lenses or camera, I will do 10 days morning 10 afternoons and 11 evenings with the 43mm and K5IIs, plus a new flickr set up so we will see how this turns out.... :-)
07-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
I'll give it a go
yay!

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Got my hands on a well used GR a few days ago,
congrats! Hope you can swing the DIC for August.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
I'll be relaxing with the group
yay!

QuoteOriginally posted by Canmannac Quote
10 days morning 10 afternoons and 11 evenings with the 43mm and K5IIs, plus a new flickr set up so we will see how this turns out.... :-)
Interesting! Have fun!