Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 540 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2017, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #76
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vintage in the Adelaide Hills (Kuitpo sub-region to be precise).

FA645 150/2.8 on the 645Z

04-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #77
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
So just how can you tell my 2N's been parked a while? You're not psychic are you?
What a waste of a great tractor.

I would never think of neglecting my 8N. It helps me get work done.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Do grass cutters count?
Why not Noel?

That is a tractor pulling that mower, right?

Like my lawnmower.

And it is 69 years old.

04-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And another. Not as good though.

DFA645 35/3.5 on the 645Z

04-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 2N needs a gas tank replacement and some other things. When I got it as a replacement for a 9N I had that needed more work than I could do (trading in the 9N toward the 2N), I didn't realize that the gas tank was so rusty inside that it would fill the fuel filter & more with rust after about every 20-40 minutes of operation sapping the machine's power progressively as that happened, a problem the 9N never had. I didn't exactly get a guarantee, so I was stuck with a tractor that couldn't do much. I'm gonna get it running again this year. On the best day of its operation, since I bought it, the 2N couldn't dream of pulling that trailer load of wood in your picture up a hill, but my old 9N had that kind of power for most of the years I had it. Of course an 8N is a more advanced machine, despite the similarities to its ancestors.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 04-27-2017 at 05:46 PM.
04-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #80
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The 2N needs a gas tank replacement and some other things. When I got it as a replacement for a 9N I had that needed more work than I could do (trading in the 9N toward the 2N), I didn't realize that the gas tank was so rusty inside that it would fill the fuel filter & more with rust after about every 20-40 minutes of operation sapping the machine's power progressively as that happened, a problem the 9N never had. I didn't exactly get a guarantee, so I was stuck with a tractor that couldn't do much. I'm gonna get it running again this year. On the best day of its operation, since I bought it, the 2N couldn't dream of pulling that trailer load of wood in your picture up a hill, but my old 9N had that kind of power for most of the years I had it. Of course an 8N is a more advanced machine, despite the similarities to its ancestors.
The rust in the gas tank is a common problem for all older machines, cars, pickups, and tractors. Drain and remove the tank, remove the drain cock and filter assembly. Then drop a 12 to 18 inch length of 1/4" chain into it, replace the filler cap and shake the dickens out of it.

Remove the cap, dump the crap out of it, and repeat until it doesn't produce rust flakes anymore. Then get one of those kits for sealing the inside, and after it is done put it all back together and you should be golden for another 70 years.

The engines in all 3 Ford N series tractors were the same, a 4 cylinder flathead, the same engine that was in the Model A cars, pickups and trucks, and stationary engines used for power generators, water pumps and the belt and pulley power distribution systems that were common back in the day for factories, mills and machine shops. There were very few differences, and the displacement and power output was pretty much the same for all of them. The later ones in the 8N (1950) had the distributor on the side rather than the front of the engine.

9N and 2N engines were rated at 84ftlbs of torque, the 8N was rated at 92ftlbs.

The 9N and 2N had a 3 speed transmission, the 8N had a 4 speed.

Check out this 8N lawnmower: John Smith's 8N Riding Mower

There is a great resource here: N Tractor Club

Last edited by Racer X 69; 04-27-2017 at 08:44 PM.
04-27-2017, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #81
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
And another. Not as good though.

DFA645 35/3.5 on the 645Z
No, it isn't. It is a funny color.

My 8N eats that color for lunch.

cheesy
04-27-2017, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

04-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Annual Oregon Tulip Festival with The Cow Train.

Taken with Pentax k100D Super with Takumar F 70~210mm 1:4~5.6 Lens.

Thanks so much for viewing.

TT
05-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not my images, but some more historical pictures for tractor fans. Black and white is my uncle filling the radiator on a Hart-Parr in Alberta during the mid 1930's, colour images are slide scans from my grandfather's collection taken in Saskatchewan fall of 1961.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
Perfection4870  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Perfection4870  Photo 
05-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
Not my images, but some more historical pictures for tractor fans. Black and white is my uncle filling the radiator on a Hart-Parr in Alberta during the mid 1930's, colour images are slide scans from my grandfather's collection taken in Saskatchewan fall of 1961.
It's fun to see an Oliver 88! The front swept forward like a streamlined locomotive in a railroad company advertising poster!
06-12-2017, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #86
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
It's fun to see an Oliver 88! The front swept forward like a streamlined locomotive in a railroad company advertising poster!

An interesting bit of Hart Parr and Oliver history:

QuoteQuote:
W.H. Williams, Sales Manager for Hart Parr in 1906, decided the words "traction engine" were vague and too long to be used in press releases, so he coined the word "Tractor", a combination of the words traction and power, instead. For this reason, and because the Charles City plant was the first to be continuously and exclusively used for tractor production, Hart-Parr often used the slogan "Founders of the Tractor Industry" in their advertising.

And:

QuoteQuote:
The Oliver Farm Equipment Company was an American farm equipment manufacturer from the 20th century. It was formed as a result of a 1929 merger of four companies: the American Seeding Machine Company of Richmond, Indiana; Oliver Chilled Plow Works of South Bend, Indiana; Hart-Parr Tractor Company of Charles City, Iowa; and Nichols and Shepard Company of Battle Creek, Michigan

Then ultimately:

QuoteQuote:
On November 1, 1960, the White Motor Corporation (a truck manufacturer) of Cleveland, Ohio purchased the Oliver Farm Equipment Company.
06-12-2017, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #87
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, Racer recently picked up another tractor. A bit newer than the 69 year old Ford 8N, and it runs on diesel rather than gasoline.

An early 1970's Kubota L260 two cylinder diesel tractor. Here it is with my 6 foot finish mower mounted. If it will live long enough (the poor thing has been neglected far too long) it will become my main mower. I'll probably leave it in the somewhat decayed condition, rather than bother refinishing the sheet metal.

I like the 'patina'.

06-15-2017, 07:35 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Do grass cutters count?
Sorry for the very delayed response. Works for me, and the prime mover on that is interesting, I have not seen one quite like that around here.

---------- Post added 06-15-17 at 09:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
By the way, Racer recently picked up another tractor. A bit newer than the 69 year old Ford 8N, and it runs on diesel rather than gasoline.

An early 1970's Kubota L260 two cylinder diesel tractor. Here it is with my 6 foot finish mower mounted. If it will live long enough (the poor thing has been neglected far too long) it will become my main mower. I'll probably leave it in the somewhat decayed condition, rather than bother refinishing the sheet metal.

I like the 'patina'.

A TBA perhaps?
06-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #89
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
A TBA perhaps?
TBA?
06-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter