Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2017, 01:55 AM   #121
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
less crop, more appropriate lens

look mom, I'm hanging on with only one foot

Giant Indian Fruit Bats [ Flying Foxes ] Pteropus giganteus at the Rain Forest Exhibit in the Topeka Zoological Park

" Body mass ranges from 600 to 1600 g and males are generally larger than females. Wingspan may range from 1.2 to 1.5 m [ 3' 11 '' to 4' 11' ] and body length averages 23 cm. . . . " - ADW: Pteropus giganteus: INFORMATION

K 3 + Smc PENTAX-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-27-2017 at 02:06 AM.
06-20-2017, 04:20 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Butt Shot of Osprey - Bringing home the bacon
07-07-2017, 05:45 AM   #123
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
time to stretch those wings

and don't forget that neck
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #124

Photos: Gallery
Papilio polyxenes perched on Lachnanthes caroliniana.

08-07-2017, 04:51 AM   #125
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
a possible useful tool:

All you have to do, they say, is whip out your smartphone and download the iNaturalist app. Created by the California Academy of Sciences, iNaturalist allows anyone to take a picture of an animal (or plant or fungi or whatever) and make an attempt to identify it. Then others, including experts, weigh in on whether your ID is correct or not. Think of it as a bit like Pokémon Go, only you’re trying to “catch” real creatures instead of Charizards and Vaporeons.

On the day of the eclipse, theapp will feature a special drawdown menu that allows you to record observations leading up to, during, and after the astronomical event. Simply keep an eye out for any interesting or unusual behavior and snap a few pics while you enjoy the show

Do eclipses drive animals wild? Here’s how you can help scientists find out. - The Washington Post
08-30-2017, 05:19 AM   #126
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K 3 + HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

a juvenile Yellow Crowned Night Heron Nyctanassa violacea - Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

found visiting the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center.

I learned while trying to id the bird from the Zoo staff that there is an active nest near the zoo on private land [ the owners had contacted them to have them removed b/c of worries about dropping on vehicle - the Zoo informed them that with the exception of 4 species it is against either Federal or State law to interfere with birds in Kansas - yeah Kansas ]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-30-2017, 05:13 PM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ocean Gull

09-04-2017, 04:26 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wing span.

Thank you AslyFox for the link here... I may be breaking some rule as I have posted this photo in the 300+ lens club, how do I links my photos from elsewhere on PF to a new thread?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
09-04-2017, 04:49 AM   #129
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
Thank you AslyFox for the link here... I may be breaking some rule as I have posted this photo in the 300+ lens club, how do I links my photos from elsewhere on PF to a new thread?
I can help some what

" I may be breaking some rule as I have posted this photo in the 300+ lens club " No you did not, not in this thread

as far as I know as the OP I can allow cross posting - posting the same image in this thread that has or will be posted in another thread

so you and everyone else ( including me ) can do so here

when I do so, I make a separate copy of the image, add a new name for it, and post the two different copies ( in name only ) in the different threads

I am sure there are better ways to do it but that process works for me

others may have different better methods
09-04-2017, 05:52 AM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Aslyfox. I will await to see if the moderators feel different. Until then here are 3 more wings... 1st D and 1st DS using an AF400T set on MS-1/25 with the tele adaptor. Black Chin hummingbirds....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist D  Photo 
09-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is another way to cross post shots from other threads that doesn't involve renaming the file

Instead of selecting or start typing in the "Quick Reply" box and uploading the same renamed file with "Manage Attachments"

Select "Go Advanced" option and a new message box will appear

Type into the message box what you wish the say about the photo and identify it as cross post from another thread

On the right hand side of the message box under the Emoji icons select "Insert Album Photos"

Another screen will pop up

At the top there is a Drop down menu box with either "Photo Gallery", "Pictures & Albums" or "Attachments" displayed

If not already displayed and the shot you want to copy has been uploaded as an Attachment select "Attachment"

The Attachments Menu with an "Original Only" Second Drop down Menu will be displayed

Beneath Options Drop down Menus thumbnails of all shots you have uploaded as Attachments to the forum will be displayed

Then simply select the shot or shots you wish to add to the new thread and they will automatically be pasted into the message box

(Note) EXIF Data for the original shot will not be visible in the cross posted shot. Plus I believe cross posting like this doesn't affect you data storage limit

Hope this helps

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 09-04-2017 at 06:32 AM.
09-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #132
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Aslyfox. I will await to see if the moderators feel different. Until then here are 3 more wings... 1st D and 1st DS using an AF400T set on MS-1/25 with the tele adaptor. Black Chin hummingbirds....
I was told by the mods that I could " authorize " cross posting

I have done cross posting on other threads, I just id it as such as a curtesy

If you have a problem I would certainly like to know

I don't think you will

however, this is not the BIF birds in flight thread, that is a separate one

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/6...tml#post660662

we don't want to compete so we ask that the bird, insect, bat, etc be " grounded " in some fashion as opposed to just photographed flying

thanks for your cooperation

beautiful photos
09-04-2017, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pectoral Sandpiper

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XP9akf]
09-04-2017, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #134
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Short-tailed Shearwater and Snow Bunting

09-06-2017, 03:46 AM   #135
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K 3 + Vivitar Series 1 200 mm ( af in lens )

ok

it isn't as impressive as a Great Blue Heron

or even a humming bird

but it is the wing span of an animal that is " grounded " not in flight

and it's species certainly has one of the great migrations of any animal

http://www.monarch-butterfly.com/monarch-migration.html
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo