Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2016, 12:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Post Processing Challenge #194

Thanks Tas !... So let's get right to it:

Thanks for choosing my photo in the previous challenge! I hope you have some fun with this next one.

I'm a life-long gear-head and when I'm not found with greasy hands & busted knuckles, I'm out shooting vintage cars, motorcycles and airplanes. Pretty much everything that falls in front of my lens burns gas & drips oil. We've seen a lot of straight-up landscape shots in these challenges, so I was hoping to add something a little bit different this time.

For this round I've chosen a photo from a shoot last year down on the Willamette River in Portland, OR with a dear friend's 1963 15-Window VW Bus. It's a pretty simple picture, but there are a lot of great textures and details to play with here. Plenty of room to add your own personal style & vision. Please have fun with it!

As usual, let's give this a week. Deadline will be Noon Seattle time Thursday the 29th. (or however that works out in your time zone!)

Multiple entries - Sure ! But let's try to limit it to three this round.

DNG file: Simple File Sharing and Storage.
JPG file: Simple File Sharing and Storage.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Information for the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: pentaxchallenge@outlook.com
The password is: postprocessing
Note to host: Copy and paste the above MediaFire information into your challenge to help the next winner

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-22-2016, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

09-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

09-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

At a loss so I tried some distortion.

Last edited by Rimfiredude; 09-22-2016 at 11:47 AM.
09-22-2016, 05:58 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I now have less time for some chores...

I went a bit silly with this one, but here's the story.

I did some PP on the file last night and ended up with something that harked back to the 1963 vintage for the beastie in the photo.

So this morning instead of doing things I really should have been doing I got the idea of how this looked like a car ad so then I was off doing some research and this is the result. And FYI, the VW logo is the 1960 version that changed in 1967. Yes, I have an issue with OCD.

Anyhoo, the PP story:

LR6 for toning and minor crop.
On1 Photo 10 for cloning, tone, colour and contrast.
PS6 for final cloning and combining the separate elements.
On1 Photo 10 for textures.
Back to PS6 to save and export.

Hopefully you'll like.

Tas
Attached Images

09-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote

I did some PP on the file last night and ended up with something that harked back to the 1963 vintage for the beastie in the photo.

So this morning instead of doing things I really should have been doing I got the idea of how this looked like a car ad so then I was off doing some research and this is the result. And FYI, the VW logo is the 1960 version that changed in 1967. Yes, I have an issue with OCD.

Anyhoo, the PP story:

Hopefully you'll like.

Tas
Incredible job.
09-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote

Anyhoo, the PP story:

Hopefully you'll like.

Tas
Awesome.

(Glad I'm going out of town next week, because no way could I dream of topping that!)

09-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
At a loss so I tried some distortion.
hmmmmm... that was kinda the point! I took the whole "Challenge" thing to heart here... so in the spirit of inspiration, I've been crossing my fingers that someome would "look outside the box" to hone a little bit different of PS skills than we are used to seeing!

(wink, wink, nudge, nudge, y'know what I mean?)
09-29-2016, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

09-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK. Times up! hafta admit, I was hoping for a few more takers than we had. Oh well !

Yeah, I know the composition was "less than ideal" on this one.. I kept thinking to myself... Dang, that's got some nice elements, but the bus:tree ratio was just off! Was it too much bus and not enough trees, or the other way around?? Or... "where is the rest of the Pano?"

I actually had started (but have been far too busy lately) working on solving that problem by enlarging the canvas and layering/duplicating/masking/cloning that wonderfully "benign" background to bring it up to better composition. Those trees were actually great to work with. But - time is precious for me lately, haven't had a chance to get back to it, and I was hoping that someone here may have picked up on that angle.

My second thought on the pic was "dang, that looks like an ad!"

So with that out there:

** I'm gonna hand over the winning slot to TAS. Great use of the pic !

Glen5995 gets "runner up" for getting into the whole VW spirit and getting creative.
And for sure.... thanks to the rest for having a go at it too

~Laurie

Tag Tas, you're it !
09-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations Tas!!! You had my vote the moment I saw your entry.

Thank you astonm for hosting and the "runner up" vote.
09-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote
OK. Times up! hafta admit, I was hoping for a few more takers than we had. Oh well !

Yeah, I know the composition was "less than ideal" on this one.. I kept thinking to myself... Dang, that's got some nice elements, but the bus:tree ratio was just off! Was it too much bus and not enough trees, or the other way around?? Or... "where is the rest of the Pano?"

I actually had started (but have been far too busy lately) working on solving that problem by enlarging the canvas and layering/duplicating/masking/cloning that wonderfully "benign" background to bring it up to better composition. Those trees were actually great to work with. But - time is precious for me lately, haven't had a chance to get back to it, and I was hoping that someone here may have picked up on that angle.

My second thought on the pic was "dang, that looks like an ad!"

So with that out there:

** I'm gonna hand over the winning slot to TAS. Great use of the pic !

Glen5995 gets "runner up" for getting into the whole VW spirit and getting creative.
And for sure.... thanks to the rest for having a go at it too

~Laurie

Tag Tas, you're it !
Wow! Thank you Laurie.

That image was definitely a challenge but the subject and setting directed my thoughts on which direction to head.

I'd like to thank the other participants in the challenge and the positive feedback too.

I aim to have #195 posted within a few hours and hope to see you all again for the next round.

Tas
09-29-2016, 08:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Tas! I was going to take another crack at it until I saw your version which was so good that I just felt like the job had been completed. Thanks for hosting astonm! Great choice of image for the challenge.
09-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

A job well done Tas.
10-02-2016, 03:44 AM   #15
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PP Challenge #195 is alive!

We're up and running on the next challenge, I hope to see you on the other side.

Here's a link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/33...ing-195-a.html

Tas

...yes, I stuffed up the title...