10-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #16
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The end is nigh!

"Doomed! We're all doomed I tells ya!"

Or, there's about 3 hours left before the 1 week deadline is up for PP Challenge #195.

Good news is I will be out at that time so it will be later this afternoon before I get to closing the thread and complete the challenging task of picking a winner. A couple of hours grace might be handy to tempt some late submissions. Anyhoo, there's been some real pearlers here, I'm very impressed by all the submissions. Great stuff.

So as they say in the movies: "Repent before it's too late!"

You know, I think I need to get out more...

Tas

10-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
It will cease to be. It will be a dead challenge
Sounds like you may have been one of the script writers for this...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ua...2vNziJzfJnVNvQ
10-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by ggascay Quote
Apparently, theres no easy way to submit a photo without a computer (iphone and ipad do not allow attachement locations) or a public respository such as Flicker to store images
If you get a Photobucket account you can upload pictures via a text. They give you a phone number that you can send pictures to and they will be in your account. Then with the Photobucket app you can copy the [img] tag.

Just thought I would share as most of the time I am on my iPhone while on the forum and don't have a computer close by.

Nice edit by the way!
10-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #19
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Sounds like you may have been one of the script writers for this...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ua...2vNziJzfJnVNvQ
Hmmm, I see my secret is out, but so long as you tend the shrubbery I won't mind.

10-08-2016, 01:16 AM   #20
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Drum roll please...

PP Challenge #195 was based on one of a series of images that I took with similar compositions to capture the light on the buildings, and make the most of the wide angle to include the clouds in the sky towards the setting sun. I've not looked at working on this image at all, though having now seen what can be done with this one composition I've got plenty of reason to work on it myself.

I hope you enjoyed working on the image and developing your submissions, and as you've gone to the effort of doing the work and participating in the challenge I think it would be remiss of me not to provide some commentary on the strengths I see in each post:
  • Glenn5995: I like your correction of the building to remove the lean. The image appears less expansive but more natural for it. The processing has also drawn out lots of detail in the image, much more than I’d expected could be without lots of noise, so nice work there. The gold tone added is bold and gives this a real HDR look with a sky that’s on fire.
  • astonm: Strong turquoise balanced with the orange sun glow and some duplication to balance out the central square frame. I like how you’ve faded to the vignette. Interestingly your submission was one of only two that removed the crane, something that was present and always irked me about the point of view in this image.
  • Kris: Excellent detail popping with the contrasty B&W image in reverse. The light is still a key player despite this being a mono as the strong contrast makes the lighter parts of the image pop nicely.
  • ggascay: A hard earned award is deserved here for the persistence in making sure you got to post in the challenge. And a good image it is too, well worth the efforts you went through to post. I really like the golden hues in the sky dimming off to a vignette. The glow on the side buildings are allowed to shine too, this is what caught my eye when I came across this scene.
  • todd: I see you’ve been busy, as always with three completely different submissions. There’s a clean sharpness to the B&W version with a crop into the essential components of the image. The second image is like Armageddon, or an explosion from a 1980’s sci-fi show, maybe even a bit of Fritz Lang’s Metropolis; with colour? The final image is a nicely balanced exposure drawing out lots of detail and natural light.
  • Rimfiredude: A fix to the lean and tighter crop creates a more centrally balanced image and processed much cooler than the previous posts. It has plenty of details especially in the central building. Your second version has subtle tobacco like tones in the mono version. I especially like the light glow on the side of the building in the left rear of the image. I always thought this was one of those images that would work for both colour and mono due to the light and this is an example of that.

Well I've put it off for as long as I could but now it’s time for the hard bit again, a decision. I’d have to say it’s not a lot of submissions this week but it’s the hardest one I’ve had to do as there’s something special about every version presented in the challenge.

May I have the envelope please?

The winner for this week and host of PP Challenge #196 is:todd for submission 1...

...and for scaring the hell out of me with submission 2.

Good luck for PP Challenge #196.

Tas
10-08-2016, 04:07 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations todd!!! Thank you Tas for hosting 195.
10-09-2016, 12:40 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow thanks for the vote, Tas! And thanks for hosting and commenting. What a treat your image was to work with. I got to play around with rawtherapee sharpening techniques quite a bit with it. Great choice of image for this challenge and I enjoyed all the entries. What a gem that Zeiss lens is!

Well the next round is live and awaiting your processing engines! See you all over there.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/33...nge-196-a.html