Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2016, 05:57 AM   #16

Here is my vision of it. Tried to stay natural.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Wet Mars
Well done sir! Certainly creative thinking.
11-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your contributions! Challenge 199 is now closed. I will have the results shortly.
11-11-2016, 12:09 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you everyone who contributed to this challenge. There were several issues with this photo to address (at least IMHO). I tried not to blow out the bright sky, although the clouds on the right are still a bit overdone, but that left the canyon very dark. I hate changing lenses for the very reason which manifested itself on this day. It was very windy and although I tried to be as careful as I could, I still ended up with a dust particle on the sensor which was very apparent and annoying to me. I am glad to see most of you addressed this. Another challenge is that without seeing the canyon yourself, you don't really know how colorful to make the image.

There were several approaches to this: a natural look, a very colorful look, black & white and then the creative/abstract look. I was glad to see all these were covered by various persons.

dcshooter filled the canyon with water and moved us to another planet. Vasyl gave us a flashing/strobing edition. Something I don't think I have seen in these challenges before. And pentageek pulled out all the colors possible.

It always difficult to chose a next host. There were many good contributions and I hope no one is discouraged because I did not select yours, but I must select one. The finalists are:

For color versions: Rimfiredude - Your first entry. It is a little too orange (I realize you didn't see the image yourself for reference), but I like the sharpness and detail you brought out and the look of the clouds.

For B&W: todd - I like the stormy look of your B&W version.

For demonstration of Photoshop skills: dcshooter - You filled the canyon with water. Fantastic job with the reflections!

Alas I must pick one and it will be -

RIMFIREDUDE!!!! Congratulations, I look forward to what you have for us in challenge 200!

For reference this is the photograph I processed from that day. It is not the same image I gave you, but it was shot within minutes and at the same location. I tried to keep it realistic.

11-11-2016, 04:32 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Rimfiredude and other placers!

@dcshooter: 'Wet Mars' was my personal favourite
11-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. 200 will be soon.
11-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Rimfiredude and thanks for a great image and hosting job, Glenn.

11-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

OK Guys and Gals here it is. Just another landscape but one of my favorites. Let's see if you can bring it to life. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/33...ml#post3823974
11-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I didn't realize this one was over until I saw 200 up. Great job Rimfiredude!

And thanks Glenn. You don't know how relieved I am that you didn't pick mine!!! Especially after you said you were hoping for something truly extraordinary for 200. For me it's all about learning; learning what looks others like and don't like, how much is too much, not enough, etc. Not that my participation means much, but I like to help keep the contests going when I have the time too, because I think it's a really cool thing we've got here.

I thought your photo was pretty extraordinary myself and the work you did on your other photo looks very nice too.
11-12-2016, 07:42 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
I didn't realize this one was over until I saw 200 up. Great job Rimfiredude!

And thanks Glenn. You don't know how relieved I am that you didn't pick mine!!! Especially after you said you were hoping for something truly extraordinary for 200. For me it's all about learning; learning what looks others like and don't like, how much is too much, not enough, etc. Not that my participation means much, but I like to help keep the contests going when I have the time too, because I think it's a really cool thing we've got here.

I thought your photo was pretty extraordinary myself and the work you did on your other photo looks very nice too.
The build up for the next challenge was all in fun. I hope it didn't create any unnecessary stress or discourage anyone from participating. I just thought it noteworthy the next challenge would be the 200th.
11-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn5995 Quote
The build up for the next challenge was all in fun. I hope it didn't create any unnecessary stress or discourage anyone from participating. I just thought it noteworthy the next challenge would be the 200th.
I knew you were kidding. I sure didn't stress and I doubt anyone else did either. It's all good fun!