Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 170 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2016, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
its all I brought with me!
IMO, there is a lot of experience to be gained by having only one lens with you and finding ways to make it work in whatever situation you are in, depending on the focal length of course.
In my younger, poorer days, I had only a K1000 and a 50mm lens, which was replaced by a 28mm lens after the original was stolen. I used that combo for decades, and made many good pictures, and a few great ones.

Even in the last 48 hours I was using only an FA-77mm and taking a lot of pictures, and I really started getting a feel for it, and then trying new ideas in order to maximize its abilities. In December it will be my SIC lens and I'm looking forward to it.

11-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So tempting. I may join in but I just got a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 that I want to break in. I may be shooting that in the daily in thread. If I shoot in SIC I might use the DA 200.
11-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I might join this month. No new lenses but I'm contemplating a new/used macro option. But I'll have to wait and see if the lens I'm looking at is still around after I get paid on the first. Which means I'll probably start with a different combination before the used lens gets here.
11-26-2016, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
IMO, there is a lot of experience to be gained by having only one lens with you and finding ways to make it work in whatever situation you are in, depending on the focal length of course.
In my younger, poorer days, I had only a K1000 and a 50mm lens, which was replaced by a 28mm lens after the original was stolen. I used that combo for decades, and made many good pictures, and a few great ones.

Even in the last 48 hours I was using only an FA-77mm and taking a lot of pictures, and I really started getting a feel for it, and then trying new ideas in order to maximize its abilities. In December it will be my SIC lens and I'm looking forward to it.
Which is exactly why I only brought the one lens with me this time. Used to bring the whole shebang - camera bag, three lenses, tripod. In the interest in saving weight and space in my gear bag, I settled on just a body and one lens.

11-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
I'm tentatively in for this month, again with the 31 on the K-50 (its all I brought with me!)
I'm in with the 31 too. Its been calling to me when I open the camera bag.
11-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a 21, a 28, and several 40's, but nothing in the 30 range, hmmmmmm.....
11-27-2016, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. I will join with the SMC Super Takumar 105/2.8, fully manual, great glass. Used it yesterday all day, I hope it'll be fun shooting it a whole month. Who knows....

11-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My new Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat 64mm f/2.9 would be cool for Bokehcember.
I look forward to seeing the results from this lens with the K-1, no matter what month you use it. The reviews are very favorable, and it is certainly a unique and stylish lens. It's steam punk style is to my liking, I wouldn't be surprised is someone doesn't reskin a DSLR in brass and copper to make it look vintage.
11-28-2016, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

My q-s1 arrived today. *squeeee!*

It may not be made of metal like my Q, but the slightly bigger body and plastic make isn't a dealbreaker for me - thank goodness.

I have also discovered one of my 06 lenses is a dud. Or something's wrong anyway. It will only do manual focus, not auto focus. Is that normal?

I should probably go and test out my two 03 lenses too, to make sure I'm happy with those. And then I can just make a dud bulk Q sale for parts and get these suckers out of my house.

On the plus side, the other 06 lens is awesome. I finally understand what everyone was going on about. Pics of the wolfiepup on the qs1 are showing details in her hair that i'm thrilled with. However the mfd is pretty ordinary. Can't do any macro-esque shots. You need to be a good distance away, and the subject matter needs to be big. Otherwise the image tends to fall apart a little in detail.

Makes me wonder if I can do bokehcember with it. I was already in AV mode.

I guess I could always just shoot side by side. As in, have the Q-s1 with me at all times with maybe the 01 so I can grab wide angle shots, and then just do Singles In with another lens.

I'm still super happy with my Tamron SP 90/2.5 52BB, and am tempted for once to use it back to back. I dunno... decisions, decisions..
11-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've decided. To forego the macro attachment lenses and get a Pentax 55-300mm. I will buy it Friday and it will ship and probably get to me, Monday or Tuesday. Perhaps shoot one of the Sigma 70-300mm's until then.
11-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have go to get back into shooting......

So, I'll give it a try in December. I think I will go with the M 85/2 on the K1.
11-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I've decided. To forego the macro attachment lenses and get a Pentax 55-300mm. I will buy it Friday and it will ship and probably get to me, Monday or Tuesday. Perhaps shoot one of the Sigma 70-300mm's until then.
Are you getting the new, whizbang PLM thing (which your K-50 will now allegedly support if what I've heard about firmware updates is true) or one of the more garden-variety types?
11-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Are you getting the new, whizbang PLM thing (which your K-50 will now allegedly support if what I've heard about firmware updates is true) or one of the more garden-variety types?
Wish I could, but no, just your ordinary garden variety version.
11-29-2016, 01:33 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
So tempting. I may join in but I just got a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 that I want to break in. I may be shooting that in the daily in thread. If I shoot in SIC I might use the DA 200.

Really nice lens, that one. Does a beautiful job on my Linux DMC-G10
11-29-2016, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently got a PM from a forum sage asking about starburst quality with the FA*24 vs the DA21 and FA31.

As luck would have it, the Christmas tree went up three days early, because the girls were in town for the weekend, and would not be seen again until The Big Day. So I had a play. The FA20 stood in for the DA21 as I was too lazy to grab the K-3.

All three make lovely stars at f/11. It just depends what type you want
And I was impressed enough with the IQ that any thoughts of selling the 20 and 24 have been put to bed.

Sharing here while I decide what to do about December....

FA31 tree 2

FA*24 tree

FA20 tree