Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm checking out of December, and future Single Ins for the foreseeable future. There's just no fire in the belly.

All the very best for the festive season
Best to you too. I'll definitely miss your comments and your shots.

12-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #167
Pentaxian

I'm checking out of December, and future Single Ins for the foreseeable future. There's just no fire in the belly.

A pity.

I had thought to bail out for a while early in September, but then I took the Super Tak 55/2.0 for a walk around the block and one bokeh shot blew me away and (to paraphrase Michael Corleone in Godfather III), pulled me back in.
12-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #168
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have today's photo but won't be able to upload until I get some updates installed so I can install the new Elements 15. And updating Windows 7 with the needed updates isn't working too well. I'm going to hold off until after midnight and see if that works better.
12-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

You will be missed! A blessed holiday season to you as well.

12-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm checking out of December, and future Single Ins for the foreseeable future.
I am sorry to hear this news.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and I hope Santa brings you some inspiration and motivation to return to SIC.
12-11-2016, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #171
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I hope Santa brings you some inspiration and motivation to return to SIC.
A certain lens is already under the tree
The rest is up to me.
12-11-2016, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #172
Veteran Member

Sorry to see you go sandy. But enjoy the break!!

LBA is biting and biting hard.... *eeeps*

12-11-2016, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #173
Pentaxian

Speaking of LBA, there was an Asahi-Kogaku 50mm f\3.5 Takumar I bid on but didn't win last night (I was a cheapskate, LOL); I wonder whether (or which) one of us got it. The seller had linked to the lens profile on the forum here, so I wonder if they also weren't one of us. Congratulations to whoever got it.
12-11-2016, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #174
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The rest is up to me.
True, and summer is on the way in your hemisphere, that often encourages photographers (though I am more inspired by the "bad weather" seasons) . Maybe you could ask yourself the questions:
1. "What have I always wanted to capture, but haven't yet?"
2."What am I afraid of failing to capture, so I haven't tried?"

Pondering these two question might lead to some inspiration.

As for me, yesterday I attended teh photography discussion and the "reveal" of our town's annual calendar winner and honorable mentions. The presenter is Sam Abell , a well-known photographer who lives in my area. Fortunately, he gives his time to judge the hundreds of entries, but even better is that each year he discusses what makes each of the 12 month's photos a winner, as well as the honorable mentions. I have learned so much form his critiques of my own photos as well as the others. I am in very good company in this friendly competition, and it has caused me to up my game, so to speak, in the last few years. I'm always looking for scenes and subjects that are fantastic, but they must also be distinctly and identifiably local. It's quite a challenge, one that has caused me to be even more observant in my daily outings, as well as going places in my little town and the surrounding that I hadn't gone to previously. It also has caused me to consider subjects that make this town such a special place, ways to capture the routine in such a way that makes it a bit extraordinary to those who live here, or to get it "just right", and also a way to present it to outsiders or those who have only briefly passed through, in a way that makes it inviting. I get no monetary award, but I do get a copy of the calendar, some priceless instruction from a master, and a great sense of community, but even more importanyly, it gives me impetus to try and take a great picture every time I go outside. Oh yes, there is one other person who has edged me out for "Best In Show" , twice! Next year, I will best him and his terribly great photography, and gain my rightful place I guess that's some motivation right there.
12-11-2016, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Speaking of LBA, there was an Asahi-Kogaku 50mm f\3.5 Takumar I bid on but didn't win last night (I was a cheapskate, LOL); I wonder whether (or which) one of us got it. The seller had linked to the lens profile on the forum here, so I wonder if they also weren't one of us. Congratulations to whoever got it.
Is that a silver one? I think i saw that but never bid.

A local seller is clearing out their collection for like $300 and it includes like 20 or 30 k, m42 and m39 lenses. There's even a k100d body. Which i don't even need.

But there's a mirror lens, tair and industar in there I'm eyeing. And some awesome metal cases.

The rest is neither here nor there, but I'd be set up for singles in for like... another 10 years...

Having a little bit of spending cash after the school photos is suuuch a bad idea. Sooo much temptation! !!
12-11-2016, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #176
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Likewise fire-lacking, but I just can't allow myself to stop xP
12-11-2016, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I took a few months off and came back with a lens I have owned a while but never singled. I feel it. I am not saying it won't fade. I just am having the opposite reaction at this moment. Today's shots (12/11 shots I mean) are not posting until I'm awake and able to process them tomorrow.
12-11-2016, 11:01 PM   #178
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I got nothing for the 11th. Bad day for me, I slept most of it.

But I should have more than enough today, as I'm headed south to my niece's house and she has different stuff to shoot.
12-12-2016, 12:32 AM - 2 Likes   #179
Veteran Member

Took some shots this morning. Hate all of them. Feeling a bit grumpy. I've deleted a bunch but not all of them. Not sure I'm going to get around to showing what I've got.

On the plus (or negative?) side, I've committed to the $300 deal. The guy said he wasn't going to split the lot, but apparently got interest from another party who was interested in non pentax stuff (it's a bulk lot), so he's now offering to perhaps seperate some of it and reduce the price accordingly. That makes me feel a bit better about it all. Just wait till you see all the gear......
12-12-2016, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #180

Sorry guys, no shot from yesterday and may not manage one today. I did spend some time this morning with my 21 year old son who is visiting for a few days. I decided to give him an early Christmas gift: My old K-50 with an A series 50mm f:1.7 affixed. I didn't want to wait because I want to impart as much knowledge as I can while he's here. I'll probably give him the DA 18 - 135 later but I want him to kick it old school for a while. After a brief tutorial on the basic controls and the exposure triangle, off hiking he went with the camera. Looking forward to seeing his shots, and I'm happy to have maybe inspired a young budding Pentaxian