Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2016, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
That's why I'm never going to sell anything ever again. It's too painful. I've learned my lesson. ;-)
Selling a lens I was struggeling a whole month with it and making funds for new experiences can be such a relief!

12-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #227
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by willdmo Quote
Selling a lens I was struggeling a whole month with it and making funds for new experiences can be such a relief!
I agree.
12-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #228
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

that's how/why I sold both kit lenses... singled with them, discovered that I probably would never use them again, sold them on....

---------- Post added 12-15-16 at 10:03 PM ----------

and today's shot will be late - just got home from the road trip and am tired...
12-16-2016, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #229
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got home late, so I did neither post nor did I comment before I went to bed. So many of you have been posting some great shots!

I awoke to find my sunrise shot has been Explored. Happy Friday!

12-16-2016, 06:17 AM   #230
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

congrats on explore, rob!

(I am working on yesterday's shot as I type, really I am...)
12-16-2016, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #231

Photos: Gallery
I'm struggling with the concept of selling a few lenses as we speak. Yes, to fund new experiences. It would help fund that acoustic baritone guitar I've been eyeing. More accurately, It would help pay down the bill for said guitar that I've already run up on credit Of course it will be painful, and I know I will regret it. But damn, those deep tones are gonna be sweet.

In other news, I'm woefully behind on posting and commenting. I do have photos for most of my missing days, and I'll try to get them up over the weekend.

Last edited by vZwicky; 12-16-2016 at 10:59 AM.
12-16-2016, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For once I am mostly up to date. I have shots posted for each day and I have commented on shots from each day. I'm shocked.

12-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I got home late, so I did neither post nor did I comment before I went to bed. So many of you have been posting some great shots!

I awoke to find my sunrise shot has been Explored. Happy Friday!
Congrats!
12-16-2016, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vZwicky Quote
I'm struggling with the concept of selling a few lenses as we speak. Yes, to fund new experiences. It would help fund that acoustic baritone guitar I've been eyeing. More accurately, It would help pay down the bill for said guitar that I've already run up on credit
This place is all scandal and bad influences!!

I'm taking shots, but I think I'm gonna bow out of Single in December. Things are getting really real to gear up for the move, so I think I'll take the relief. (Still finishing out my 366, obviously, and having a lot of fun playing with the Theta S, which I have also entertained as a year-long project. Theta-a-Day? can it be done? It's worth considering!)
12-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #235
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This place is all scandal and bad influences!!

I'm taking shots, but I think I'm gonna bow out of Single in December. Things are getting really real to gear up for the move, so I think I'll take the relief. (Still finishing out my 366, obviously, and having a lot of fun playing with the Theta S, which I have also entertained as a year-long project. Theta-a-Day? can it be done? It's worth considering!)
First Sandy and now you? And before the belfie/selfie days... you guys are killing me. I look forward to your critique and your insight as well as your photos. Sigh.

But I do understand. Good luck on the move!
12-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not really enjoying this month's lens (the Tamron Adaptall 70-150mm, f3.5). Minimum focusing distance is longer than I'd like - probably around 3 feet at 70mm, and longer at higher focal lengths - and i just feel like I'm fighting it every. single. day. The optics aren't really that sharp, and at fast apertures things degrade quick. Looks like the sweet spot is about f/8 if the light is decent, although I haven't played much yet with the smaller apertures. (It is Bokehcember, after all.)

But I'm taking the advice of wiser, more experienced folks in this group who've said, in the past, make the most of the lens's unique qualities. Wolfiegirl is an inspiration - if she can keep going with a broken lens, I can carry on with a subpar one. I don't think this lens is going to have a lasting place in my rotation, though.
12-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
Not really enjoying this month's lens (the Tamron Adaptall 70-150mm, f3.5). Minimum focusing distance is longer than I'd like - probably around 3 feet at 70mm, and longer at higher focal lengths - and i just feel like I'm fighting it every. single. day. The optics aren't really that sharp, and at fast apertures things degrade quick. Looks like the sweet spot is about f/8 if the light is decent, although I haven't played much yet with the smaller apertures. (It is Bokehcember, after all.)

But I'm taking the advice of wiser, more experienced folks in this group who've said, in the past, make the most of the lens's unique qualities. Wolfiegirl is an inspiration - if she can keep going with a broken lens, I can carry on with a subpar one. I don't think this lens is going to have a lasting place in my rotation, though.
i think it helps that despite my lens being broken, it's still producing nice sharp shots and lovely bokeh. if the mfd wasn't so short, and the IQ degraded the min i cropped, i'd probably be more tempted to throw in the towel as well!

no one's going to get upset if you decide to give up and give another lens a go instead.

on the plus side, you can def get rid of it from your collection!!! that's always gotta be a plus....

i think i might have a tamron adaptall 70-150 or some weird and strange short telephoto in my cull box. i should go and take a look and see if it's the same.

you'd think with such a strange focal length, that it would be a decent lens. but based on your observations so far, it doesn't seem like it.

I find shooting past 70mm is usually good for pets, if you are going outside all the time. that might be something to consider?

i do like a decent mfd though. esp with wolfiepup in tow. not that it's helping me this month, since mfd and focus is closer to 30cms....

having said all that, i have yet to take any shots yet. tomorrow is wolfiepup's birthday, and i've spent the morning cleaning.

taking a break now, but i made a point of putting my camera away rather than just leaving it lying around on the coffee table. so i'm going to have to make a conscious effort at some stage today to take my shot.

Save
Save
12-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #238

...I think I'm gonna bow out of Single in December. Things are getting really real to gear up for the move...
Sorry to hear you're bowing out, but it's completely understandable. Moving is a beast!

12-16-2016, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
i think it helps that despite my lens being broken, it's still producing nice sharp shots and lovely bokeh. if the mfd wasn't so short, and the IQ degraded the min i cropped, i'd probably be more tempted to throw in the towel as well!

no one's going to get upset if you decide to give up and give another lens a go instead.

on the plus side, you can def get rid of it from your collection!!! that's always gotta be a plus....

i think i might have a tamron adaptall 70-150 or some weird and strange short telephoto in my cull box. i should go and take a look and see if it's the same.

you'd think with such a strange focal length, that it would be a decent lens. but based on your observations so far, it doesn't seem like it.

I find shooting past 70mm is usually good for pets, if you are going outside all the time. that might be something to consider?

i do like a decent mfd though. esp with wolfiepup in tow. not that it's helping me this month, since mfd and focus is closer to 30cms....

having said all that, i have yet to take any shots yet. tomorrow is wolfiepup's birthday, and i've spent the morning cleaning.

taking a break now, but i made a point of putting my camera away rather than just leaving it lying around on the coffee table. so i'm going to have to make a conscious effort at some stage today to take my shot.

Save
Save
Thanks for the encouragement. I definitely want to explore above f/8 with this lens, just in case it really sharpens up at smaller apertures. That should keep me busy for the rest of the month, I think. Pet shots are a good idea too.

I am a bit excited: I might be able to buy a Helios-44. I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning. Really want to play with the swirly bokeh. If I get it, that will probably be my single for January.

Good luck with your shooting today!
12-16-2016, 09:21 PM   #240
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
I am a bit excited: I might be able to buy a Helios-44. I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning. Really want to play with the swirly bokeh. If I get it, that will probably be my single for January.
which 44?