Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 03:43 AM   #1111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Side note: Not poisonous but even so spider bite can leave germs that cause infection . We have these everywhere. Nice shot.
*putting on my nurse hat* The spider bite isn't the source of the bacteria. The bacteria, which causes the infection, is usually staph living on your skin & under your fingernails.

02-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #1112
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
*putting on my nurse hat* The spider bite isn't the source of the bacteria. The bacteria, which causes the infection, is usually staph living on your skin & under your fingernails.
I was stung on the elbow by a yellow jacket while at a sports car race in Portland, Oregon many years ago. I got a huge infection. The doctor suggested that since the insect had been foraging in the garbage on what was a very hot summer day that the infection was caused by the decaying food it had been crawling on.

I came very close to losing my arm.

Another reject.

02-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #1113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I was stung on the elbow by a yellow jacket while at a sports car race in Portland, Oregon many years ago. I got a huge infection. The doctor suggested that since the insect had been foraging in the garbage on what was a very hot summer day that the infection was caused by the decaying food it had been crawling on.

I came very close to losing my arm.

Another reject.
If it was staph, staph lives everywhere & is quite hardy. The strains that we see in the hospital these days are also rather resilient to even our strongest antibiotics.
02-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #1114
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
If it was staph, staph lives everywhere & is quite hardy. The strains that we see in the hospital these days are also rather resilient to even our strongest antibiotics.
I think the doc did mention staph. He guessed that all the rotting food in the hot summer sun was an excellent petri dish for growing nasty stuff. The yellow jacket was just the carrier, and when I smashed it and then rubbed the sting site I encouraged the distribution of whatever ugly organisms that were hitchhiking on the bug.

Another reject.

02-20-2014, 05:38 AM   #1115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy to join the conservation. Here is one of my PPG rejects, although I have have had quite a few accepted. Many of the images accepted in PPG have also been submitted to PEG where I confess to having a zero strike rate. I am not sure what that means in terms of either the quality of my photographs or the criteria or qualifications of the judging panels in both forums.

All I can say is that as a contributor to PPG, I also the right to pass judgement on the images of other contributors. This is a right I do take seriously and although the criteria are somewhat vague, I judge those images presented to me on the basis of whether or not I like the image. I reject obvious faults. I reject images that appear as though someone has just picked up a camera and pressed the button without any thought of composition, lighting or subject matter. I also reject images that do not interest me. Yes this does reflect my biases and I do not apologize for that. One thing I do notice is that after I accept or reject several images in a sitting, I always go back and check the new acceptances. More often than not an image I rejected moments ago is listed as a new acceptance. This leads me to the assumption that acceptance is a majority vote after a certain number of members have voted. Is it 10 or 20? I do not know. Is the pass mark 50% or 75% I do not know.

I urge members to keep submitting photographs that they think may be of interest to other members. Strive for best quality in exposure and composition and do not be upset by rejection but rejoice in acceptance
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
04-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #1116
Veteran Member