Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A few more of my faves...

08-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I just have to say that this thread shows some very good images. From what I've seen there really is no rhyme or reason for what they accept. I've seen them accept images that I wouldn't think belong, and I've seen them reject plenty of images that are gallery quality. Just no telling how an image will get accepted imho.
Agree LaRee... some of these issues are stuning.. I have not tried submitting any yet... working on three right now. Question, I assume your chances go up using their lenses too?? or is just the camera ok? Love going through all these... Cheers JIMBO

08-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Agree LaRee... some of these issues are stuning.. I have not tried submitting any yet... working on three right now. Question, I assume your chances go up using their lenses too?? or is just the camera ok? Love going through all these... Cheers JIMBO
They lifted the restrictions of having to use a pentax lens. So I don't think that the lens matters or makes the submission accepted any *easier*. As seen by the images posted here, it is luck of the draw I think.
08-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of my rejects. Maybe too many sunsets? If you've seen one, you've seen them all?

08-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

LaRee>> thought the last two were one picture at first and not all sunsets are equal... as you showed us! Like both of yours.... Cheers JIMBO

08-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You got that right

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
I just have to say that this thread shows some very good images. From what I've seen there really is no rhyme or reason for what they accept. I've seen them accept images that I wouldn't think belong, and I've seen them reject plenty of images that are gallery quality. Just no telling how an image will get accepted imho.
Yeah, what she said!
That is exactly how I feel. And probably many others, too.

Here are four of my rejects:

Only one acceptance so far. I must try again.
08-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
LaRee>> thought the last two were one picture at first and not all sunsets are equal... as you showed us! Like both of yours.... Cheers JIMBO
lol Jimbo, I scrolled a couple times and got that feeling too. I almost separated them because of it, but then I thought it was kind of a cool effect? Thanks.
08-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #25

These are my rejects to date (but I'd only started submiting 2 months ago);

08-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #26
Inactive Account

First three Quickly rejected (users)

-----------------------

This was was rejected by the Pentax judges

Maybe I should have cropped differently. Or maybe if the picture has a hint of actual motion they don't like it? Maybe the picture sucks? (10,178 flickr views..my highest by a long shot).
08-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote

My observations:

1) Macro shots, bird shots, etc. have to be *outstanding* to get in. It's simply because there are a great number of these shots submitted. I don't think I've seen a "good" macro / bird shot in the PPG -- they're all excellent.

2) "Natural" looking shots stand a snowball's chance in hell. Many PPG shots are a bit saturated. Most still look good, but are obviously PP'd.

3) Small technical details or composition errors will kill you every time.

Unfortunately I've run across some outstanding shots -- with the horizon about 5 degrees off. I really, really wanted to vote yes, or find the photog and scream "straighten your horizon! this is great!" but can't. I vote "no", but it's hard.

Or, you have the random element on the edge of the picture which is obviously not adding to the shot -- I wish so much they'd just crop it out and resubmit, as I've run across several of these.

Slightly OOF? Reject. Distracting blown highlights? Reject.

4) *MANY* shots are too darn dark. I'm thinking there are a great number of users that are using monitors with extremely bright settings, because there are a ton of pictures I've come across with very dark foregrounds...distractingly so.

While my monitor isn't professionally calibrated, it's close -- I can look up a histogram in CS3 / lightroom and when the curve is near center, the image looks about perfect (assuming a uniform type of image). So, I know at least my brightness / gamma is on point.

5) Landscape shots have to be pretty *and* have a subject -- It's rare I see a landscape shot where the background is the subject.

I really think reviewing these shots has made be a better photographer -- There are many I reject, but there are many I like. I look at the ones I vote "yes" on and think about why I voted yes.

--------------------------------------------

Reviewing these statements, I can see why my first images were rejected. My bird / snake image, though -- I was really thinking it had a chance. It was under review for almost 2 months (the others submitted at same time rejected), so I know it made it to the judges.

Someone on DPReview suggested maybe it's because the shot hints at pain / death, which may be true.

I may try to submit it again, but with a different crop to shot the bird reflection -- more artistry and not so much "in your face" action.
08-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Great review and I am sure the job is not easy though the ones I have seen looked awaeson and well deserved... cheers. JIMBO
08-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #29
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When my 1st submission got right in I was feeling "all that" & all. Granted I didn't try with too many more, but I haven't gotten any more in.

This one seemed to garner a lot of compliments in a weekly challenge I submitted it in, and I was feeling good about it, but after a long delay, nope:
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2154/2129683661_6a4511fa71_b.jpg[/IMGWIDELEFT]

This was rejected pretty quickly... that surprised me. It's one of my very favorite images I've taken. It became obvious I shouldn't submit w/my heart.

The PPG format also doesn't lend itself well to a portrait image format, as it's the height that is limited, not the longest dimension be it portrait or landscape.
08-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #30

Seeing the above few of doggie shots being rejected, it makes me wanna withdraw the 2 I just submited today^^;