Site Supporter
Site Supporter

up from under the daffodils

04-18-2021, 01:22 AM   #692
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote

That's a nice perspective, what's the red line on top of the roof of the church? Is that the roof ridge or something special?
04-18-2021, 03:06 AM   #693
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
That's a nice perspective, what's the red line on top of the roof of the church? Is that the roof ridge or something special?
Thanks - looking more closely, the seem to be ill-matching ridge tiles - maybe the post-processing colour shift (mostly just a slight desaturation of some colours) didn't work so well for brick-reds - to be honest, I hadn't really noticed before you pointed it out- I'll have a go back and sort it out if I have a moment (and remember )
04-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #694
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I agree - great perspective!

04-19-2021, 12:10 AM - 4 Likes   #695
Pentaxian

A shiny highrise building in Copenhagen. Denmark, photographed during the blue hour.

04-19-2021, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #696
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Mountain Ash forest, South Gippsland, Victoria
I'm a bit confused Those are Eucalyptus trees, but in Mountain Ash forest? I take it that there are also Mountain Ash (=Rowan) trees there.

I live close enough to a Eucalyptus plantation that I think my house could be hit by one falling, although the prevailing wind is away from me. And I live in South Wales! I have just gone outside and taken this shot from my garden. I would say these were 50-60m high, and it looks like the top 10m of one of them has broken down.

K-1 DFA 24-70mm

04-19-2021, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I'm a bit confused Those are Eucalyptus trees, but in Mountain Ash forest? I take it that there are also Mountain Ash (=Rowan) trees there.

I live close enough to a Eucalyptus plantation that I think my house could be hit by one falling, although the prevailing wind is away from me. And I live in South Wales! I have just gone outside and taken this shot from my garden. I would say these were 50-60m high, and it looks like the top 10m of one of them has broken down.

K-1 DFA 24-70mm
You’d be even more surprised to know they’re also called Tasmanian Oak. Simple explanation: lack of imagination on the part of early British colonists.

04-19-2021, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #698
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

04-19-2021, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #699
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd like to have seen how the blades were hoisted...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #700
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
You’d be even more surprised to know they’re also called Tasmanian Oak. Simple explanation: lack of imagination on the part of early British colonists.
As Rob said, the common name used in Victoria, Mountain Ash, is a colonial legacy (as is the name of the State). These are Eucalyptus regnans.

There are hundreds of species of eucalypts in Australia, consisting of the genera Eucalyptus, Angophora and Corymbia. They occur from the most arid places to the wettest, from plains to the highest peaks, and range from small trees to the mighty regnans, the tallest angiosperm (flowering plant) in the world.

Hard to tell from the photo what the species is in the plantation near you. Blue gums (E. globulus species) are commonly used in plantations. The Southern or Tasmanian blue gum (E.globulus globulus) can grow to 70m.

Last edited by Des; 04-19-2021 at 05:51 PM.
04-19-2021, 11:43 PM   #701
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
I'd like to have seen how the blades were hoisted...
I can tell you, really sloooooowly. They attach a pivot around the nose cone then hoist it to about midway, where they tilt the whole assembly so that the blades are in the vertical plane and then it's another really slow journey to the nacelle. They're building about fifty of these big turbines over here, so I've been able to see this. It's actually quite impressive. I'll see whether I can dig up some of the images of the process (and share them since they were definitely taken upward).

---------- Post added 04-19-21 at 11:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
Nice image, I like the contrast in colours and texture and the lines.
04-19-2021, 11:58 PM   #702
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the dame church as my last pic, butt he other side, and night instead of day

Oh - and a tree in the way, not daffodils

04-21-2021, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #703
Pentaxian

This is the dame church as my last pic, butt he other side, and night instead of day

Oh - and a tree in the way, not daffodils

Nice, how did you illuminate the tree? With a flash?

Here's another upward view, cross-posted from the Takumar thread.

04-21-2021, 12:28 AM   #704
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Nice, how did you illuminate the tree? With a flash?
Illumination actually supplied by the church - oddly placed floodlights
04-21-2021, 12:44 AM   #705
Pentaxian

Illumination actually supplied by the church - oddly placed floodlights
Aha, so the community has found another good way to spend (squander) money and add to the light polution ;-).