Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My second take. Made it a bit more contrasty.

02-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #17
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Final day for PP Challenge #208

G'day everyone, we're into the final approx 36 hours before this challenge closes, so if you've been intending to do another version, or to make your first submission the clock is ticking.

Looking through the work done already is a blast, the range of different interpretations is amazing considering the original image. It's certainly not made my job easy, but then that's my challenge and I hope we see more added before #208 has to close.

Tas
02-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #18
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
PP Challenge #208 is closed

Hi Everyone, my apologies for the delay in closing, oddly life got in the way for a wee bit but we'll get back to finalising this challenge.

I will have the results posted in the next couple of hours.

Tas
02-03-2017, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #19
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Drum roll please...

Feedback and results PP Challenge #208

Thank you to everyone who had a go at this image, I hope you found it a worthwhile challenge and enjoyed working on it. I found this scene was not the easiest to capture or to post process and the range of interpretations is really quite surprising considering what I thought was a limited scope image. Ta for opening my eyes to seeing the scene in more ways than I had imagined. Now, as I was a bit late finalising the challenge I thought Iíd provide some feedback on each image submission. If you're not interested in that just jump to the TL;DR section at the bottom.

Arizona Dave
Five submissions was I hope a sign that you enjoyed working on this image. I particularly like the softer pink tones of the first image and was really taken back by the ethereal quality of your third submission with the pano framing and mirrored sky. I like the bold colours of four along with its detail, and detail was a hallmark of the final submissions with the cropped frame highlighting the dark ship on the thirds sailing into frame against a soft pastel sky. A great series of images from a single shot, well done mate, I donít think I could have come up with this many.

Glenn5995
The warm tones make a nice contrast from the original RAW image and help control some of the greyed out sky and water. I really like the dark golden tone of the beach here too.

aaacb
A warm look again with more of an orange pastel shade with the mid greys tending to a green. Thereís plenty of the detail brought out of the shadows t open up the image from the darker original.

Rimfiredude
ďOh well, I give up.Ē I was a bit worried when I read that, but it seems you didnít really give up mate and Iím glad to see that. Two strong images using the contrasting light and dark nicely to highlight the detail in the clouds above the ship, especially in the first image. The reds are more saturated in your second image but the greener shadows works nicely and brings out the ocean detail more effectively.

bakerking31
A much darker interpretation retaining more of the moody look of the original that enhances the crepuscular rays and red cloud detail. It might be that my viewing location compared to yours is brighter and this is a version requiring a darker location to see the subtle light effect the darker image creates.

caliscouser
A contrast from the image created by bakerking31 is this much lighter version. The lighter orange in the reds really shows the wonderful light in the cloud around the ship. A crop to pano framing would be interesting to highlight this more and makes me regret not swapping the 2/50 for the 2/100 and capturing the ship and sky with the longer lens.

noelcmn
The use of green tones here again helps manage that grey in the shadows nicely. The lighter image and desaturated orange of the reds also highlights the detailed cloud closer to the top of the frame. I wasnít aware of that detail to be honest.

ffking
Here it seems all about the sky with the high contrast and strong colours highlighting the reds nicely and showing some purple/magenta tones in the shadows not present in other versions. Another image that is best viewed in a darker setting too.

todd
A very clever interpretation cropping most of the ocean to leave us with the light on the water front, the ship and the detailed colour in the sky. The strong contrast really highlights the crepuscular rays nicely and shows the magnificence of the low cloud above the ship.

repurban
The lone mono image for this challenge, kudos for not being seduced by the colours and aiming for a unique interpretation. The B&W shows the contrasting light in the cloud nicely in ways that the colour versions donít emphasise. I particularly like the bright light above and to the left of the ship and would like to see some localised lightening of the cloud bank above the ship as I think that would enhance this look even further.

astonm
I like the tones you use in these challenges, and this is no exception. The turquoise and magenta tones in the water are unique and the pastel sky with the dark ship seems to create a strong focal point in this framing. For me though this image is more about the water and the emphasised lines of each wave.

Stagnant
FYI, if you want to add more than one image to your submission you can edit this post instead of creating a second one. Similar to some other submissions the shadows tilt into the green and it works nicely to offset the greys muddying the midtones. The softer tones in the reds creates a nice pastel look to the image with the lighter sky drawing the eye readily to the ship on the horizon.

dcshooter
This is almost golden and a nice differentiation on the scene from the previous submissions. I really like these tones with their yellow golds and the way they seem to add contrast to the clouds above the ship, which was a particularly amazing sight to see in person. Again the lighter skyline draws the eye to the ship.

LarsW
Just when I thought Iíd seen all the options for colours in this image yet another interpretation creates a different look and emphasises complimentary colours effectively. The blues look particularly good in the shadows and contrast nicely with the magentas and reds. Some really good PP to relocate the ship to below the crepuscular rays too. I donít think I can clone/content aware fill this well

Stagnant
The change with the extra contrast is noticeable but subtle when comparing your two images. I think the extra colour and contrast works nicely to enhance the water, but for me the appeals more in your first image. There appears to be more blue in the shadows too and this compliments the reds more so I donít think I could pick a favourite out of the two.

capmazariegos
Our final image and one that highlights the sky and probably represents the actual look on the day. The contrast in the cloud is really what this interpretation is all about with the shadows left darker to highlight the difference more. Kudos too on avoiding colour bleed during PP.

Itís the challenge of choosing a favourite out of the submissions that I find difficult with these challenges. But I have to admit seeing the range of interpretations of the one image is a bit of a magnet and I must congratulate each and every one for taking the time and effort to have a go at the challenge. Of course after all that we have to come down to a decision on who gets the nod to host PP Challenge #209.

So to the TL;DR bit:

Special mentions must go to Rimfiredude for not giving up, todd, astonm, LarsW and capmazariegos. There were particular unique strengths to your interpretations that had you on the short list for getting the nod.

But as Highlander has stated around here previously: ĎThere can be only oneí and this week Iíd like to send the nomination back to Arizona Dave. All five submissions were worth posting, but version #3 really made me stop and go ĎWow, itís like a dreamí.

Good luck for PP Challenge #209.

Tas

02-03-2017, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations Arizona Dave! Looking forward to what you have for us in the next round.

Thank you Tas for hosting this challenge.
02-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Wow! Thanks Tas! Yes. I really enjoyed working on your image.

I'll get #209 going soon.
02-03-2017, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
‘Wow, it’s like a dream’.
QuoteOriginally posted by Arizona Dave Quote
Wow! Thanks Tas! Yes. I really enjoyed working on your image.
That image was my top pick too. Great creative interpretation well executed. Congrats AD and thanks Tas for hosting and judging with a great shot.
02-03-2017, 10:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

#209 is live! Post-Processing Challenge #209 - Tatahatso - PentaxForums.com

02-04-2017, 03:28 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats AD - and thanks for the detailed comments Tas - I know it's a lot of work, but it really helps people see what others see in their efforts and like about them