Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 96 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Ok good to know about the 05. Don't think I'll invest in that one.
Probably a good call. I've taken it out for an initial spin, and am not all that impressed at this point. Although the f/8 aperture showed me that the sensor needs cleaned already. Sigh.

---------- Post added 02-22-17 at 10:02 AM ----------

My daisy pic from a couple days ago made explore on Flickr. That was a nice surprise to wake up to.

02-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #137
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote

my daisy pic from a couple days ago made explore on flickr. That was a nice surprise to wake up to.

awesome!
02-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Probably a good call. I've taken it out for an initial spin, and am not all that impressed at this point. Although the f/8 aperture showed me that the sensor needs cleaned already. Sigh.

---------- Post added 02-22-17 at 10:02 AM ----------

My daisy pic from a couple days ago made explore on Flickr. That was a nice surprise to wake up to.
I have the 03 and that's pushingthe friendship, so based on that alone, i feel like i shoild stick with the 01, 02 and 06.

Congrats on your explore!
02-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #139
Pentaxian

So we've had a bit of an exciting week here on the cali coast. Started off last thursday with several of the huge (120'+ tall) eucalyptus trees at my folks' place coming down; on the house, power lines, cars etc. so I spent a few days over there playing with chainsaws. Then at home, LR not importing, power out and our road closed off and on for several days. Finally home, power's on, LR working, road open.... hopefully it stays that way. Anyway, here's a pic and a crappy handheld video of (one of) the storms.

Last edited by ChatMechant; 06-28-2017 at 12:58 PM.
02-22-2017, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I did a supremely stupid thing today. I was working with two cameras at a time (the K-S2 and the Q), taking comparative pictures of the same subjects to see how the two cameras rendered differently. I stopped to take a picture of a grain elevator (today's "single in" picture, which I'll be posting in a few minutes). Took some shots with the K-S2, set it on the edge of the truck bed, then shot the same elevator with the Q...

You can guess what happened next. I drove off with the K-S2 still sitting on the truck bed. At about 20 mph, it fell off and landed on the asphalt. Amazingly...IT STILL WORKS. The only damage was to the lens (the Super-Tak 3.5/35) - the filter and beauty ring were torn off the front, and the vintage metal lens cap is toast - and, on the camera itself, a portion of the plastic frame around the LCD screen broke off on impact. How it didn't tear the entire articulating LCD off the body, I'll never know. The screen itself isn't even scratched.

Pentax makes some tough cameras.

I've glued back the piece of broken frame (ugly, but functional), and put the camera through its paces. Everything works (metering, shake reduction, dials and buttons, flash) from what I can see. There are a few minor nicks elsewhere on the body, but nothing terrible. The lens even still works, even though it's ugly as sin. So I'll finish out the month with it, and then decide what to do.

And now I have a new rule: only one camera leaves my bag at a time. No exceptions.

---------- Post added 02-22-17 at 07:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Started off last thursday with several of the huge (120'+ tall) eucalyptus trees at my folks' place coming down; on the house, power lines, cars etc.
Yikes! Hope everyone is safe and sound!

Last edited by babywriter; 02-22-2017 at 06:26 PM.
02-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #141
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And now I have a new rule: only one camera leaves my bag at a time. No exceptions.
Good rule. I only break that when shooting events, when both/all three are worn all the time, or in the bag.

Glad it didn't work out too bad
02-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Ohmygoodness! !!

I dropped my ks2 once. Got tangled in the strap and it landed on the open sd card door. Snapped it off of course. But once i got that fixed it worked just fine. Only a metre drop combined with the forve of me dragging it off. Nothing compared to flying off a truck bed though!!

Lucky you!

02-23-2017, 06:10 AM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I did a supremely stupid thing today. I was working with two cameras at a time (the K-S2 and the Q), taking comparative pictures of the same subjects to see how the two cameras rendered differently. I stopped to take a picture of a grain elevator (today's "single in" picture, which I'll be posting in a few minutes). Took some shots with the K-S2, set it on the edge of the truck bed, then shot the same elevator with the Q...

You can guess what happened next. I drove off with the K-S2 still sitting on the truck bed. At about 20 mph, it fell off and landed on the asphalt. Amazingly...IT STILL WORKS. The only damage was to the lens (the Super-Tak 3.5/35) - the filter and beauty ring were torn off the front, and the vintage metal lens cap is toast - and, on the camera itself, a portion of the plastic frame around the LCD screen broke off on impact. How it didn't tear the entire articulating LCD off the body, I'll never know. The screen itself isn't even scratched.

Pentax makes some tough cameras.

I've glued back the piece of broken frame (ugly, but functional), and put the camera through its paces. Everything works (metering, shake reduction, dials and buttons, flash) from what I can see. There are a few minor nicks elsewhere on the body, but nothing terrible. The lens even still works, even though it's ugly as sin. So I'll finish out the month with it, and then decide what to do.

---------- Post added 02-22-17 at 07:21 PM ----------

Yikes! Hope everyone is safe and sound!
I would double check centering. I would also try an autofocus lens.
02-23-2017, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would double check centering. I would also try an autofocus lens.
I did try three different autofocus lenses last night - one screwdrive, two HSM/SDM. All seem to be working as expected (knock on wood). I'll know more about the Super-Tak's condition (including any decentering from the impact) when I take pictures later today. Keeping my fingers crossed, but honestly I'm expecting to toss the lens at the end of the month anyway. I'd already decided that it was going on my "sell" list because of its infinity focusing problems.

Last edited by babywriter; 02-23-2017 at 08:41 AM.
02-23-2017, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #145
Pentaxian

You can guess what happened next.
Ouch, good to hear it survived the impact.

Just had a small scare myself, though nothing like that. Popped the sd card in to copy todays shots and empty.... strange, tried ejecting and reinserting, still empty. Bugger!

Luckily I just ran it through a recovery program and its retrieved them for me, a little utility called PhotoRec on linux.
02-25-2017, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last weekend featured rockets, this weekend, robots! Pictures to follow.
02-25-2017, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #147
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A few weeks ago I had the K-1 attached to the Celestron telescope. I was attempting to bring the tube to a near vertical orientation for an overhead shot when suddenly the tube with the K-1 attached, went clattering to the ground and rolled over just inches from the edge of the swimming pool. In the dark I was unable to see that the tube was pressing against one of the legs of the telescope tripod which pushed it up and out of the dovetail mount. There wasn't a scratch on either the K-1 or the Celestron so I dodged a bullet there.
02-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
A few weeks ago I had the K-1 attached to the Celestron telescope. I was attempting to bring the tube to a near vertical orientation for an overhead shot when suddenly the tube with the K-1 attached, went clattering to the ground and rolled over just inches from the edge of the swimming pool. In the dark I was unable to see that the tube was pressing against one of the legs of the telescope tripod which pushed it up and out of the dovetail mount. There wasn't a scratch on either the K-1 or the Celestron so I dodged a bullet there.
Yikes!!#
02-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Whoa! Glad there was no damage!
02-25-2017, 10:23 PM - 2 Likes   #150
Pentaxian

Original Poster
March is up