Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2017, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Talismans - Everyone Has Them

However much stuff you have, there are some possessions that are yours and yours alone. They're special. It could be past associations. Or how they fit. Or how they work. Or even how they smell. Something about them makes them invaluable and uniquely yours. They're your talismans, and everyone has them. So, let's see yours. I've written elsewhere in the past about some of mine, but around the holiday period I feel especially nostalgic about...

My EIGER Sierra Club Cup

It has history. It's a phoenix that is one of two possessions that survived a Christmas Eve house fire, which is why it's stained. I dug it out of the steaming rubble. (If interested, the full story is here.)

So how about it. What are your talismans, those special possessions that mean so much to you? Show us a photo and, if you wish, tell us why it's special.

01-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting idea, most of my talismans are in a footlocker in the garage, but I have several objects that I often use as photographic objects.
[IMG][/IMG]
01-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A giant diamond sure is a worthy talisman, Robgski! Come on folks, surely you have prized possessions to share? If nothing else, you can show...

Someone Else's Talisman - A Vintage Bike The owner prizes it above the others he owns.

02-02-2017, 03:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This would be one-a glass imprint of my son's hand aged 11.

And my glass paperweight- (does anyone even use these anymore) given to me by my now deceased colleague.

And yet another paperweight- precious to me, and another gift from a friend. I just love that woman lounging on the quarter moon

02-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now we're cooking! We seem to have a glass theme going here. Lovely possessions, Noel. Love the glass imprint of your son's hands -- how'd he do that? -- as well as the bubbles in the glass paperweight, and to answer your question, no, I've not seen one in a very long time.
02-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no Idea, my grey matter does'nt recall that detail. Probably given to me as a gift by him.
02-04-2017, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

A set of dog tags, and other things that hung off the chains
[IMG][/IMG]
02-04-2017, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dog tags, a Saint Christopher medal, and a P38....I wonder how many people still carry a P38? (I do.)

02-05-2017, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

that was given to me by my late Father when I started serious traveling nearly 40 years ago, always have it with me

it was made by Ludovic Penin from Lyon ~ 170 years ago
02-05-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Dog tags, a Saint Christopher medal, and a P38....I wonder how many people still carry a P38? (I do.)
I carry a "John Wayne," too. I'll shoot a better photo of it, but this is from an article I wrote about the P38:

It was my former-Marine husband's and came back home with him, so it's special. (So's he.)

---------- Post added 02-05-17 at 08:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
that was given to me by my late Father when I started serious traveling nearly 40 years ago, always have it with me...
it was made by Ludovic Penin from Lyon ~ 170 years ago
Beautiful photos and sentiment, Jack. My grandmother gave me a St. Christopher's medal after I broke my leg skiing in high school, to protect me on future adventures. Alas, I no longer have it, having given it to my brother when he went into the military, and it has since been lost in the mists of time.
02-07-2017, 04:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Well used P-38 there, nice article.
04-09-2017, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess this is a talisman of sorts, my friend made the pen after seeing my car, it's color matched, but the gear shift makes it even cooler
[IMG][/IMG]