Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2020, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #376
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
This is the Bouddi Coastal Walk in the Bouddi National Park on the Central Coast. ... I had so many to choose from. Would you like to see more?
Yes please Ray! (Some more fine ones in your Google photos album.) Great set.

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
It must have been very, very hot the day this was created in order to make these rocks into a flowing molten mess.
I'm no geologist, but these look like mainly sandstone or other sedimentary (rather than volcanic) rocks to me. See: https://coastcommunitynews.com.au/central-coast/news/2018/01/geology-of-the-bouddi-peninsula/

Sandstone tessellated pavements seem to be a distinctive feature of the central NSW coast: Tessellated pavement - Wikipedia

Last edited by Des; 07-10-2020 at 05:40 PM.
07-11-2020, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #377
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some more from the Lake Ontario shoreline

07-11-2020, 03:59 PM - 4 Likes   #378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Yes please Ray! (Some more fine ones in your Google photos album.) Great set.

I'm no geologist, but these look like mainly sandstone or other sedimentary (rather than volcanic) rocks to me. See: Geology of the Bouddi Peninsula - Central Coast Community News

Sandstone tessellated pavements seem to be a distinctive feature of the central NSW coast: Tessellated pavement - Wikipedia
Thanks, Des.

Hey, I'm no geologist either! To me those sandstone formations just look like they were molten. I should have added a smiley to my original post. I have seen the results of molten lava in Hawaii and what is what I imagined molten rock would look like.

So here are a few more:

07-13-2020, 07:43 PM - 5 Likes   #379
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I actually found something interesting on the beach last night while walking down to a spot for the sunset. It was low tide so I was walking along the wet sand looking for shells with my wife. I saw something odd when a wave receded that looked rectangular, so I went out and picked it out of the sand, it was a cellphone and it was on showinga picture of the owner and his wife. I asked my wife it it looked like the guy that we just walked by a few minutes earlier, she said yes. We had noticed this guy because he was walking in ankle deep water, while holding the legs of his shorts up, and he looked really "like a girl" walking that way (my wife said that). He actually had just come from deeper water and maybe his legs were still wet, anyway I'm sure that's why the phone fell out of his pocket. Anyway I gave my wife the tripod and ran back down the beach and found the guy. My wife found a broken conch shell good enough to display.

07-24-2020, 10:22 AM - 3 Likes   #380
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I asked my wife it it looked like the guy that we just walked by a few minutes earlier, she said yes.

Maybe it was this guy...

08-09-2020, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #381
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dusk at Mugu Beach, Calif. DA18-135 on K10D:
08-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #382
Pentaxian

Porthmeor Beach, St. Ives, Cornwall - the remains of the boilers of the "Alba", wrecked on Porthmeor Beach in 1938

08-09-2020, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last Monday night a hurricane came through, I've been to the beach twice since then (different sections). I actually went to a beach on another island today and all I sonly saw a new sea turtle nest (roped off by the turtle patrol). I have no clue as to what either of these are.

Thursday:

Saturday:

So disgusting looking I shot it from 2 sides.
08-09-2020, 06:36 PM - 2 Likes   #384
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Last Monday night a hurricane came through, I've been to the beach twice since then (different sections). I actually went to a beach on another island today and all I sonly saw a new sea turtle nest (roped off by the turtle patrol). I have no clue as to what either of these are.

Thursday:

Saturday:

So disgusting looking I shot it from 2 sides.
An alien and it's unhatched egg.
08-09-2020, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #385
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
An alien and it's unhatched egg.
LOL. Glad I did not disturb them!
08-10-2020, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #386
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have no clue as to what either of these are.
I consulted my excellent "Florida's Living Beaches" and the first creature looks like an anemone of some kind, There's a "Georgia and the Carolinas" edition as well that you might want to take a look at for a closer match.

Living Beaches of Georgia and the Carolinas: Witherington, Blair, Witherington, Dawn: 9781561644902: amazon.com: Books?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Who knows when this Canadian will ever be in Florida (or anywhere in US) again.
08-10-2020, 02:32 PM - 4 Likes   #387
Pentaxian

*istDL2 & 16-45 (I think as it was a long time ago)
08-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I consulted my excellent "Florida's Living Beaches" and the first creature looks like an anemone of some kind, There's a "Georgia and the Carolinas" edition as well that you might want to take a look at for a closer match.

Living Beaches of Georgia and the Carolinas: Witherington, Blair, Witherington, Dawn: 9781561644902: amazon.com: Books?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Who knows when this Canadian will ever be in Florida (or anywhere in US) again.
Ah yes, thank you, I kept thinking sea urchins even though I didn't think that was it. I'll check that out. - it is likely a Sea onion anemone.
08-18-2020, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #389
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
[

09-13-2020, 02:42 AM - 3 Likes   #390
Pentaxian

Flotsam and jetsam: high tide line Northland NZ

K3 & DA 16-85