Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Post Processing Challenge #210 - RMS Queen Mary

Thank you, Arizona Dave, for hosting challenge #209!

For challenge #210 I have selected a photograph from a recent trip to Long Beach, California. This is a photograph of the historic RMS Queen Mary, now a tourist attraction, museum and hotel. There are several issues with the photograph, but i felt I was able to address them and come up with a photo I was happy with, so now its your turn to show what you can do with. I hope you find it worthy of your efforts.

Let the fun begin! I will close this challenge Friday evening February 17th.

JPEG preview:

Challenge 210 DNG Image

Information for the next host:

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: pentaxchallenge@outlook.com
The password is: postprocessing
Note to host: Copy and paste the above MediaFire information into your challenge to help the next winner

02-10-2017, 08:46 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

My First Stab at It

What a great image to play with!

Unmoored

Last one, maybe..

Last edited by Arizona Dave; 02-11-2017 at 06:35 PM.
02-10-2017, 11:04 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Promise I came to this crop before seeing Dave's excellent entries above! And hey got to go 4:3 again...

I really want to come back to try some more versions but too tired tonight...

And for the curious, an inferior shot of the QM I took last year that includes a trivial historically related fact about myself... the return of the king | K-3 + Takumar (Bayonet) 135/2.5 at ? | Flickr

edit: hadn't broken out the symmetrize filter in a while for one of these challenges...

edit: a titanic effort that may have just sunk this challenge...

Last edited by todd; 02-13-2017 at 12:59 AM.
02-11-2017, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I've been here many times.
Name:  Post Processing Challege #210.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  139.9 KB

02-11-2017, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's my version:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-11-2017, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #6

Well, after reading only in these forums for a long time, I'll give it a try... ;-)

Last edited by clack; 02-15-2017 at 02:20 AM.
02-11-2017, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #7

My version

Attached Images

02-12-2017, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

This was fun
Attached Images

02-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Off to a great start! Choosing the next host is going to be a challenge.
02-15-2017, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

This turned out to be a little too much fun.

Last edited by JHfwp; 03-08-2017 at 11:58 PM.
02-15-2017, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

First time participating in something like this. Here is my B&W version.

Thanks,
02-17-2017, 09:12 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And the Winner is..........

Alas, it is time to bring 210 to a close. I don't know what I can say but, WOW! You guys out did yourselves on this one. Everyone is a winner and I could easily choose any of you to host the challenge. I have had the honor of hosting several of these challenges and this one is definitely the most difficult to select the next host. So many varied approaches and interpretations so wonderfully executed.

It was quite a challenge to get this shot. I was precariously balanced on rocks with each leg of my tripod on a different rock of a different height, while shooting through a hole in the fence made by the mooring line's movement (and probably a few photographers) over the course of time without getting too much of the fence in the frame and in particular not in front of the Queen Mary. The lighting throws an orange/yellow tint to everything although the foremast really is yellow and the stacks really are orange. And of course it was shot with my beloved DA* 16-50, which has great image quality but is very prone to flares.

Ultimately this will be a totally subjective selection on my part for the host of 211, because they were all great and you should all be proud of your work, but I must select one, so lets get started.

Arizona Dave - You were absent from these challenges for awhile. You were missed and I am glad that you have returned for these recent challenges. You always bring your magic to an image and this was no exception. You had four entries - color and black & white, moored & unmoored, dark night & starry night. Each excellent in its own right. I am impressed with your skills in removing the mooring line. I love your starry night edition. It is not suprising you just hosted 207 & 209.

todd - You amaze me with your imagination and post processing skills. A beautiful b&w entry. I don't even know how you created the mirrored image but kept the mooring lines from one image running across the other. I love your "Titanic Edition" of the Queen Mary, although in perspective with the railings, they must be about 20 foot tall

SpecialK - You brought a very realistic true to life version to the challenge with a nice job of removing the chain link fence from the image. Nicely done.

gtxSeries - You have been a forum member since 2015 with this entry being your fifth post. I am truly honored you selected this challenge to participate in. Another nicely executed b&w image for the challenge with a good choice of crop to remove the lens flare and distracting dome building on the right side of the image. Good job of removing the fence from the image. Well done.

clack - Welcome to the Forum! I am glad you chose this challenge for your first post. A very nicely done true to life version with a good selection of crop to clear out the distractions on the right side.

capmazariegos - You have been a member since 2012 with this being your tenth post. I am honored that you found this challenge of interest and worthy of your efforts. You were the only one to keep the fence in the image. It works very well with your choice of a little darker interpretation of the image with more contrast emphasizing the details of the ship. Great job.

astonm - Looks like there is a storm a brewin'. Well executed! I like the change to the signs on the right side of the image, the "My Goodness My Guinness" in particular. Perhaps an attempt at a subliminal message? I like it very much.

JHwfp - The more I look at your entries, the more I am amazed! You had to remove the mooring lines, submarine and dock. You had to add to the Queen Mary below the water line and then work in the waves. IMAX of course! The only little nit I have is the slight oversight that it would of course be 3D! Excellent!

ismaelg - Welcome to the post processing challenge! I hope we continue to see entries from you in the future. Your choice of high contrast b&W with the background blacked out really draws your attention to the ship.

Everyone one of you did a great job. Congratulations! But, I must select one and despite the admission of "3D" from the poster , I am selecting JHwfp's second entry to award the honor of hosting challenge #211! Congratulations!

I had difficult enough time selecting the host for the next challenge. I don't think I could come up with a second, so everyone else is tied for second.

Great job everyone! Looking forward to 211!
02-18-2017, 03:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks Glenn. I'm glad you liked it. My wife and I couldn't believe you selected mine--we both thought there were some really strong entries, all of which would look great matted and framed (I think she was actually embarrassed by mine, lol.)

Thank you for pointing out my 3D omission, I'll pass that along to the producer so he doesn't make that mistake again!

And thanks once again for your detailed comments, your time, and, of course, sharing this photo with all of us!

I'm going to try and get out this evening and take a few shots. Look for a new challenge by late Monday evening. Until then, have a great weekend.
02-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Number 211 is live here.